What do you hate about law students? (1 Viewer)

subdued123

HSC
As a law student, I am aware of the flak we cop. We're snooty bloodsuckers who think we're elite. Something like that.

But do you have any pet peeves?

I'll start. I ABSOLUTELY hate law students who need to use legalese in everyday conversation or with their non-law friends. It's about the unsexiest thing I've ever come across.

People who joke about privity or estoppel or casually throw in case names. Disgusting.

What about you guys? Book hiders? Classroom discussion hogs? Closed book exams?

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
subdued123 said:
As a law student, I am aware of the flak we cop. We're snooty bloodsuckers who think we're elite. Something like that.

But do you have any pet peeves?

I'll start. I ABSOLUTELY hate law students who need to use legalese in everyday conversation or with their non-law friends. It's about the unsexiest thing I've ever come across.

People who joke about privity or estoppel or casually throw in case names. Disgusting.

What about you guys? Book hiders? Classroom discussion hogs? Closed book exams?
People who like to show off their law intellect by throwing in law jokes.

How can you have Mens rea without Actus Reus?

By crossing a red light!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! At which time everyone is looking around at each other and just waiting for someone to laugh.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
So I herd you guys rip pages out of the law books in libraries to stop other students from getting at the info they need?
HAHAHAHAHAHA! HILARIOUS!

LOL! People have always said lawyers are scum of the earth and leeches on society.

doink

Clone
HSC
They think that if they talk fast enough people won't notice how unsubstantial the little information they know is.

And i hate how they try really hard to get good grades to get into corporate law. I'll show you to correct me in a tutorial!

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I hate the law students who take uni far too seriously. Every tutorial is a competition to show everyone in the room just how much they know. Clue: no one gives a crap, shut up and keep your hand down.

Even worse are those (and I'm sure the later-year students here know what I'm talking about) who have a clerkship somewhere. All of a sudden, it's as though they are the only person who has set foot in a law office anywhere, ever. Did the lecturer give an example from their 45 years of practice as a barrister? Hoo-boy, not so fast! Quickly make way for the 4th year law student who once reformatted the letterhead for a brief on a case which mentioned (in passing) a matter which may or may not be loosley connected to the topic at hand. Watch in awe as they not only show off their legal expertise, but they prove the lecturer wrong by citing obscure office-exclusive practice methods!

You can just feel the collective cringe across the room when these people start talking. Do they honestly think that they know more than the lecturer? It is a mystery. Either way, I wish they'd shut up.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i hate it how everyone is too smart and no matter how hard you try, there's always another five guys and ten girls between you and that elusive high distinction/clerkship place/spot in an external moot team.

my learned friends, i hate you all. :bomb:

subdued123

HSC
hfis, spot on, spot on.

What's weird, is that i've seem it happen so much, but only until you wrote that did I actually say, "Aha! That's what it is!"

And being a 5th year myself, I can certainly vouch for the accuracy of that. Because you're done a clerkship and photocopied, you're suddenly king-****!

Some funny posts on this one; people seem to be as passionate on this as I am.

Maybe we need to give law students in their first year a special talk: How to not be a wanker.

But it's almost inevitable when you take all the brainiacs who are used to overachieving and being told they're amazing (by parents, BoS, Teachers, colleagues) and then placing them in one institution.

subdued123

HSC
Frigid said:
there's always another five guys and ten girls between you and that elusive high distinction/clerkship place
Ah, but Frigid, you did get a clerkship!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
i hate it how everyone is too smart and no matter how hard you try, there's always another five guys and ten girls between you and that elusive high distinction/clerkship place/spot in an external moot team.

I agree. At Mac there are loads of them and they are always the one's who get the opportunities which lead to more and more opportunities...

I might be an alright mooter but they are so good they get picked everytime, which makes me wonder why I even bothered putting myself through Jessup applications just to be rejected...

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I can't stand people who leave their mountains of textbooks and paper at the limited number of carrel desks in the law library and go off to class/lunch/whatever for two hours, especially now that it's exam time and the library is so crowded that it's difficult to get a decent seat. Though that counts for every library...

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I think they've introduced something like that rule here, now that overcrowding is becoming an issue. Security guards wander around sometimes and take stuff to the front desk and leave a note if they think it's been too long, but that doesn't happen very often.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
Ah, but Frigid, you did get a clerkship!
yeah i know, but i assure you it will be a tough fight to get first class honours this year... >.<

Evilo

HSC
melsc said:
at mac is its unattended for more than 30 mins you can put it on the floor and use the desk...
at anu you tell the library staff that belongings have been left unattended. They take all the books/belongings and then leave a little note on the desk in replacement.

decypher

HSC
I laugh come exam time when you see the law students struggling to carry in 6+ textbooks when I have at most a pen and calculator.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
decypher said:
I laugh come exam time when you see the law students struggling to carry in 6+ textbooks when I have at most a pen and calculator.
that's not true. those who choose to carry multiple textbooks are the ones most likely to fail. you don't have time in a 2 hour exam to refer to 6+ textbooks.

most of my peers walk in with the set text (usually a casebook), maybe one supplementary textbook, and their own notes.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
The sheer artificiality of the environment, but then again, it also applies to business school.

Not that I expect it to be any different once I start working...

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
A complete disregard for actual law.

And their inability to be productive members of society.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)