what do you need to study for trials? (1 Viewer)

Lucy Loo

hey everyone- i have no idea what i am meant to be studying about art history and art criticism- where do i start? i dont know what to studyyyyyyyyy HELP:( :( :( :(

guy

HSC
try and memorise a whole lot of artworks from all the different frames (and their artists) so youlle have stuff to relate the plates to

and knowing movements and periods like fauvism impressionism romantiscm modern postmodern/contemporary

also general history like when the world wars where on so you can talk about the context of the artist when they painted it which could have influenced them

Lucy Loo

thanx heaps guy- at least now i know where to get started- this is all so overwhelming lol

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yeah, and try to research artists/movements you're actually interested in. that makes stuff easier to remember, and easier to write about. a few general quotes are sometimes good to put in essays, if you can make thm fit. but they're not essential, so if you can't find any, chillax.

make sure you read and use all the info that gets supplied with the plates. dates, country, dimensions, materials, whatever. most of it means something.

and it's generally good to go through multiple plates in chronological order, unless you have a good reason for not doing this. it lets you talk about the development of a particular movement/artist over time, contrast new with old, etc etc.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah flicking through an art history book before the exam really helped, like just quickly familiarise yourself with all the important styles/movements and know important characteristics of each

memorise all the conceptual framework/frames/practice stuff that's in the syllabus cos the questions in the exam will be directly related to it so u've got to be able to really understand what it all means

and yeah, what guy and salad boy said is tops

clairethebear

You can get away with not knowing anything about art criticism in the trials.........because no specific questions are asked on it as far as I know.......well that's what we got told......you just have to know art history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)