What do you reckon my chances are? (1 Viewer)

FluffyWuffy

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I received my umat scores back today. I received a total of 190 and a percentile of 96. I am in my second year of an engineering degree at unsw and was wondering what you think my chances are of getting an interview at unsw and Newcastle? My atar was 96.0 and my current GPA is around 6 (wam is 78)

Thanks in advance :)

redjnr

HSC
Firstly congrats on your UMAT result, it's really an impressive score!

Now in terms of scoring an interview:
UNSW - Unfortunately, I would say not likely. Your GPA/WAM would be a distinction average, however this is only considered to be a ~95.00 ATAR equivalent. This is then averaged with your actual year 12 ATAR, which will result in a academic rank which is too low (<96). Even if it did just scrap past to be eligible, an ATAR of around 96 would probably need 99th percentile+ UMAT to be offered an interview. And as far as I know, consideration is not given to the difficulty of the courses you took.
(https://med.unsw.edu.au/frequently-asked-questions-local-rural)

Newcastle / UNE JMP - Depends on your individual section scores. Your academic results are good enough to satisfy the minimum eligibility for Newcastle Uni (credit average if I'm correct). However they require a minimum of 50 in each UMAT section, and then interviews are given to the first X number of eligible candidates ranked only on section 1 scores. In past years the cut off has been around ~60. So if you got 60+ in section 1 and managed to get 50+ in the two other sections, then you'll likely get an interview :).

Whatever happens, best of luck in applying for medicine. Feel free to PM/post if you have any other concerns.

FluffyWuffy

HSC
N/A
Hi,
thanks for the reply. My section scores were as follows: 62/62/66

If I were to raise my GPA to a 6.5 do you reckon I'd have a chance? How do I even calculate my GPA/WAM/ATAR equivalent?

Xt

HSC
N/A
What about unsw? Any slim chances?
Definitely should apply but don't get your hopes up. You really needed closer to 100 percentile to get an interview with your current GPA and ATAR.

redjnr

HSC
Hi,
thanks for the reply. My section scores were as follows: 62/62/66

If I were to raise my GPA to a 6.5 do you reckon I'd have a chance? How do I even calculate my GPA/WAM/ATAR equivalent?

The UNSW med website doesn't provide any clear indication of how it converts GPA to ATAR equivalent. They do say however that "An applicant who scores a ATAR of around 98 would need to achieve results of high distinctions in some courses and distinctions in the rest in order to maintain the equivalent ATAR." So yes, there is still a small chance of getting an interview, as long as you bring your WAM as high as possible (ideally, you should be aiming for a 97.50+ combined rank with that UMAT, i.e. 99+ ATAR equivalent, which is 7.0 GPA)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)