• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do you think is a reasonable price for a CD? (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
i dont listen to the new crap like guy sebastian
and i know, im just using metallica as an example to the type of music i listen to, that is, the classics, not the new shit
Seriously, Guy Sebastian! I don't go near Pop music but I am pretty sure he would be signed up to a major record label, definitely not Independent anyway. I am talking about Indie bands who are not well known:).

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
either way ill doubt the music industry will collapse in on itself because of downloading mp3s

sure they take lots of money from the companies and the bands - in theory.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
either way ill doubt the music industry will collapse in on itself because of downloading mp3s
Of course. The point I am trying to make is that is makes it harder for the Independent bands:).

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
fair enough

but being musos its the life they have chosen- sure we could make it easier for them, but...........money might corrupt

different musicians have different influences

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I see where you are coming from. They chose their life for the love of the music. That is fair enough because they will probably still continue to play their music even if it doesn't make them rich and famous. The problem is that record companies won't continue to let them record though, they want to make money and they won't sign unprofitable bands. Do you see where I am coming from:)?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
yeah i undertand that- the music business is pretty tough

but in the end its all about whats popular at the moment in time- decades ago it was jazz and the beginnings of rock with chuck berry etc...then rock then pop then .....it goes on

who knows indie bands might become popular again in the future

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Merethrond said:
So what does everyone think is a reasonable price for a CD:)?
A reasonable price for a cd (album) would be around $10-15 I'd say. Most are like $30!! f*** that. But, I don't really care as I prefer to download all the music I want for free off the internet. Normally I only want around 3 songs I like from a particular band. So why end up buying the entire album? And some ppl are all like 'u should support your favourite band, ur cheap etc..." I guess I am, but if the option is available for me to download free mp3's then why not take full advantage of that?

wanton-wonton

HSC
SmokedSalmon said:
A reasonable price for a cd (album) would be around $10-15 I'd say. Most are like $30!! f*** that. But, I don't really care as I prefer to download all the music I want for free off the internet. Normally I only want around 3 songs I like from a particular band. So why end up buying the entire album? And some ppl are all like 'u should support your favourite band, ur cheap etc..." I guess I am, but if the option is available for me to download free mp3's then why not take full advantage of that?
why the fuck no take full advantage of that indeed. exactly my point.

esquared

HSC
Merethrond said:
I'm not talking about "Metallica" here, I am talking about all the Independent bands out there who just want to play music but struggle to get enough money to live:).
the internet is great for indie bands. they get so much more exposure. before for a band to break they needed radio airplay. now they need word of mouth on a message board and a few mp3s on their website.

its the big record companies that are worried because, as i see it:

(1) the teenybopper market is still their biggest market. Even though they arent really music fans, the flavour of the month is usually what makes the most money. Since your average trendy kid who wants the latest trendy song isnt really a music fan, they will be content with downloading the latest evanescense song off kazaa at 96k quality and spend their $30 on lipgloss and dolly magazines.

(2) the music fans used to have to be very "in" with the scene and know where to look and who to talk to to find good music. Now its easy to find online, order from little american indie labels, find out about, tell others about, etc. For real music fans the internet is like one big digital mixtape trade spanning the world. Real music fans are still going to buy the stuff that they like because rather than being tightarses they like to have the artwork and liner notes and own a physical copy of the record. They know that they cant go around calling themselves a fan of a band when they have deliberately not bought their products. But they only have so much time for music and the problem for the record companies is that now they do not have sole domination over what people hear, and as such they arent shifting as many units to this market either.

the internet has been a massive boost for the indie scene. do you really think artists like Xiu Xiu would be touring if it wasnt for the internet exposure?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
esquared said:
the internet is great for indie bands. they get so much more exposure. before for a band to break they needed radio airplay. now they need word of mouth on a message board and a few mp3s on their website.
That is a very good point you put forward there. The Internet is a free source of advertising for bands, and without it I wouldn't have heard of most of the bands listen to. I am all for downloading a few songs from a band you have just discovered to get a feel for them and see if you like them before buying their album. The problem is that once a band gains popularity people continue to pirate their music and download their whole album:(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)