What do you think? (1 Viewer)

tjis

HSC
HI everyone,
i'm dong a research topic on whether judges are better at making just outcomes than juries.
And i have found some information that the jury system has some disadvantages like the slow presentation of evidence by the jury , the inconvenience and the cost of jury service.
However, judges usully base their decisions on the rule of law and have legal background.
What are your views on these reasons?
And also can someone explain to me the importance of independence of judiciary regarding this matter?
Thanks alot.

ireth

HSC
N/A
Hello,

I'm not sure about this but personally, I think, judges are better than juries.

ireth

HSC
N/A
Hello ;)

Owh thanks for replying for my topic. Anyway, I think there are few reasons why I said that judges are better than juries.

Firstly, juries are selected randomly from ordinary people, they're lack of legal knowledge. If a group of them is summonsed and they're given complicated legal case, how are they going to deal with it if they have no legal background or skills?

Also, juries are mostly swayed by emotions on giving verdicts rather than the technicality of the case itself.

I still think judges are better choice, but it depends on the case anyway. Sometimes, the judge may be in favor of those who are in the good position i.e the rich rather than the poor. They can hire good lawyers and so on.

By the way, I've found a page but I'm not sure if it's useful for you. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/picklestreet/explore/q06.html on juries.

Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)