What do you train for? (1 Viewer)

redox

HSC
A lot of the focus on "fitness" these days seems to be centered around people who want to lose weight / un-blobify themselves, or simply to keep generally fit. That's fine.

However, being someone interested in sports science (for lack of a more specific term) I was wondering about any people here who seriously train above and beyond keeping "in shape", perhaps to participate competatively in some sport (and I mean if you've motivated yourself to go beyond your typical high school saturday sport training) and considers themself an athlete,
or maybe just someone who trains hard for some specific goal in or outside of sport (such as the military).

I'd like to hear about what you train for and maybe an outline of what that involves, routines etc.

Oh, anyone exercising just to lose weight or keep in shape please feel free to post about yourself as well, don't want to leave you out :)

NinjaSauce

HSC
I like this topic. Hopefully it will enlighten some people here to the true meaning of 'fitness'.

I always hate it when people say "Oh, i just train to get fit". Fit for what?! There are a 100 types of fitness. A Strongman [~130kg+ generally] will collapse in a marathon, but a marathon runner wouldn't even be able to lift the warm-up weights of the other.

Anyways, time for me.

Mid last year, i was training for the military, and doing so, lot alot of strength, explosiveness, and well, the good stuff. This is generally becuase 'army fitness' sucks. Your measured on push up endurance [It is NOT strength!], and jogging ability. Which i might add is a dumb speed to be moving at in the army. Soldiers are either sprinting, or marching.
I also lost alot of bodyweight, as they use the outdated 'BMI' system. So i had to get around 80kg at 6foot tall. I was coming from a muscluar 86, so i got uber-lean. Was really painful and determental to my strength, as mentioned.
Quick review, i failed the medical test on cronic unexpainable High blood pressure. I would have owned the fitness test to Special Forces Entry level, which is what i was aiming for.

After failing, it was somewhat of a hidden blessing. I was actually kind of relieved. I hated wasting myself away with pushups, running, and dumb endless sit ups. Looking back now, i realise i would have snapped being under someone else's PT program.

Now.

I am ~96kg, Not lean, but not fat! 'burly' :) . And i concentrate mainly on strength training, and was training to build a base for powerlifting in a few years to come. Though i think i'll probably step away from that, and either end up as merely a "power-builder" [strength focused, but trying to look pretty too], or perhaps the ultimate awesomeness - Strongman. But thats really not on the works for atleast a half decade.
As i said, powerlifting was my centre, which for those not sure what that is, basically building a massive 1 rep max Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. I don't think its for me, doesn't seem to fun. And well, i hate bench press. My Left shoulder screams at me when i do it - most likely bad form, but i still can't fix it [the form, that is. Shoulder is better].

So mainly Overhead press, squat and deadlift.

Current lifts:

Overhead Press: 75kg barbell single, and 40kg 1 arm KB press for 3-5 reps.
Squat: 140kg single.
Deadlift: Don't know! But i did 190kg for 9 reps [not 1 set] yesterday! Almost double bodyweight! Estimate 200-210kg. It was a VERY heavy day for me Friday. I'm still feeling the back pump today.

Goals:
- Bigger lifts. Be strong. Be Scary.
- More upper body weight. I am so lower dominant. And no, im not a delusional gym-rat, i do have over proportioned legs. Comes from a leg-dominant-sport youth.
- More bodyweight in general.
- Ok, could probably afford to loose 2-3 kgs. But i'll concentrate on that when im huuuuuuuuuuge. :)

Can provide loose routines/ past routines if anyone really cares.

quik.

HSC
If you knock out the military background, what Ninjasauce said pretty much.

I want to be big, and lift big. Might compete in powerlifting at some stage but I'm not sure, I'm nowhere near strong enough yet. Would like to win a natural bodybuilding competition, but that's a long ways a way.

stargaze

HSC
Hey this is quite cool... Always cool to hear about dedicated plers/bbers in Australia.

That's a very nice deadlift ninjasauce, hope to get there a (many) months.

I train for various reasons with the first one plainly being I really enjoy it. Other than that I want to continually get stronger, learn more (want to get into some kind of strength & conditioning some day) and yes, work on aesthetics.

Keep pumpin

NinjaSauce

HSC
Stargaze,

Concentrate, pick a good program, plus attitude, and it will come.

A little bit after the start of this year, i pulled 150kg for a set of 5 as a PR. And jumped around the house - major milestone for me. Now i'm eyeing 200kg. 50kg in 8-9 months? Boo-ya.

I want 250 next year. And i'll get it.

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
hey so by those criteria, i could totally make the military if i work on my fitness lol

i used to train so id stop being a scrawny asian bitch, and now ive sorta accomplished that. next up was to be buff enough for it to be noticeable, which ive slacked off on. picked up some vices im gonna have to drop if i want to be back into weights again. considering going some generic protein, i dont think im eating often enough either.

RoryC

HSC
I first got into weight training a few years ago to strengthen various muscles I had damaged playing football and fucking around :p but now days I do weight training to supplement my Boxing, Muay Thai and Mixed Martial Arts training

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
Once a year i compete in this competition. they blindfold us, then they drop us (a team of 4) in the middle of no-where. 2 of our members are sent out on a scouting mission to find any clues of where we are. Then they come back and tell me (the nav) and our co nav anything they found. Then we locate our position and run to the endpoint (given to us as a grid reference). The end point is anywhere between 25-120km of where we have been dropped of depending on division we are. And we must be self sufficient for the whole event.

The college trains 3 times a week, from about 8 weeks before the event starts. Personally i'd like to keep my fitness up for the whole year. I've got an active job so i get a bit of exercise. Its hard though (not to brag or anything), but i have to run 5-10km before i even start sweating it makes it harder to improve fitness.

I usually go on a bike ride, and try and run. Plus my job - im pretty active overall.
Also, being fit attracts the chicks :D

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
so essentially, as a result of that, you and your ad hoc team are well equipped to deal with the result of a big night on the piss, huh

Evilo

HSC
yeah i'm pretty good on the piss lol
Takes me about 16 drinks in 1.5 hrs to get drunk - which i think is pretty good (yes i do know some people can beat it ;) )

blakegman

HSC
N/A
so you need to have a drink every 5.62 minutes for 1.5 hours in order to get drunk ?

i call bullshit. unless ur drinking coopers ultra lights

and on topic. i dont need to train. not being a doctor i wouldnt know but my fitness is pretty similar when i havent got my heart rate up for weeks to when im training/playing 3 times a week

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
for all the sports i trained for:
swimming, golf, diving and at one time in my life they all seemed to be part of my life

mon:swimming-2hrs
tue:diving-3hrs
wed:swimming-2hrs
thur:diving-3hrs
fri:swimming-2hrs
sat:golf- half a day
sun: free day

this was my routine for 2yrs then i stoppped golf as it was boring, then diving because my parents vcouldnt be fucked and swimming which has been major part in my fitness life, quit last year beacause of hsc.

i trained to keep fit, but being a perfectionist in my early years, i just wanted to be the best..lol.
and i did that, then when i got to be the best i quit.
=\

and for the last 3yrs i've been doing martial arts which has a training session of mon:2hrs
wed:2hrs
fri:3hrs
and i had to quit that for the hsc too=(
i trained hard for martial arts so that i could defend myself andbe ready for anything, dad's always wanted me to take it up as well.

so mainly i trained to be the best/get to the top/get fit/defense
so thats all=( wish i had accomplised something more in the fitness area..='(
oh well.

Evilo

HSC
blakegman said:
so you need to have a drink every 5.62 minutes for 1.5 hours in order to get drunk ?

i call bullshit. unless ur drinking coopers ultra lights
Well at my local theres a thing called happy hour with $4 jugs, and $1 drinks. I had 2 before it started, 3 jugs (12 drinks) during it, and then a few afterwards. I know people who can beat me mate - im not even the best piss cutter :p.

pete shearman

HSC
19 y.o., i weigh 72kg and am 6'0.

as someone has said before, fitness cannot be narrowly defined.

i'm training in the gym now. second time ever today - i started weight training on 26 Nov. i don't even know what the exercises are called but i was on my back pushing up 50kgs 15 times x 3 fairly comfortably. i was pushing weights up with my legs weighing 70kgs. i did different exercises for one hour and didn't feel sore until the next day - the next day was excruciating.

i just want to look lean and athletic, not like a brick shithouse.

i also do running - i can run sub 2 minutes 800m, sub 4.10 1500m and race up to 12km. however, i am lazy if i have no one to train with. as i am in thailand with my expat family, and aths is non-existent there, i am doing weights instead. for a runner, i am fairly well built.

will weights training have a deleterious impact on my running?

Last edited:

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
pete shearman said:
19 y.o., i weigh 72kg and am 6'0.

as someone has said before, fitness cannot be narrowly defined.

i'm training in the gym now. second time ever today - i started weight training on 26 Nov. i don't even know what the exercises are called but i was on my back pushing up 50kgs 15 times x 3 fairly comfortably. i was pushing weights up with my legs weighing 70kgs. i did different exercises for one hour and didn't feel sore until the next day - the next day was excruciating.​

^stretch before and atfer work out + warm down but doing a short run/gradually do lighter bench presses,etc. it helps so that the next day isnt that bad.
i just want to look lean and athletic, not like a brick shithouse.

i also do running - i can run sub 2 minutes 800m, sub 4.10 1500m and race up to 12km. however, i am lazy if i have no one to train with. as i am in thailand with my expat family, and aths is non-existent there, i am doing weights instead. for a runner, i am fairly well built.

will weights training have a deleterious impact on my running?

doesn't weights give you more muscle mass, therefore it'll make you heavier?..

Evilo

HSC
^ I thought so, thats why i dont do weights

pete shearman

HSC
somehow that doesn't sound right.

if more weight = slower running, there's no way i would have improved my aths times this season. i've put on 10kgs over the past 10 months yet hardly grown at all. i was running pbs just before i left melbourne in nov w/o doing anywhere near as much training as i had done in the previous year.

according to your logic, if i do gym in the day and running in the evening, i can't make any gains because they cancel each other out. while i'm no expert, i'm confident doing both will make me faster and stronger.

Evilo

HSC
I think it depends where (i.e. on what parts of the body) you are doing the weights training too. I have a pretty shit upper body muscle mass, but a very good lower body muscle mass.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Alot of elite athletes use weights as means of strength training.

Sprinters don't get fast by just running laps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)