What do you train for? (1 Viewer)

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
the discus guy from the bank ads has a 100m time in the 11s.

and the larger a muscle is, the faster it fatigues
so only if you have excessive huge muscle like a lifter would your distance times be hampered, im thinking

and the muscular stored energy more than makes up for weight up to that point, doesnt it?

pete shearman

HSC
yeah so i've done my reading.

if aiming for muscle gain then it's advised you don't do anything more than jogging or sprinting. 5-10km runs every day will destroy your body's chance to recover on off days and so you'll lose out on a larger physique. also, dieting for weight gain is protein/dietary fat intensive. for running it's mainly carbs.

in sum, you basically have to choose between middle/long distance running and becoming huge.

TBU21

HSC
Uni Grad
Pete, strength training can still be very beneficial for long distance runners, even though you won't be able to stack on heaps of muscle due to caloric expenditure. From both an injury prevention POV and performance, a balanced program that adresses weaknesses is always useful. Obviously make sure running takes priority and strength work doesn't interfere with it (keep weights work lowish reps and low volume), but even a well implemented fullbody routine once or twice a week will definitely be of assistance.

Most of the top middle distance/long distance runners are use weight training programs - I know Craig Mottram, benches more than 100kg, which is very good strength levels for his size (188cm, ~72kg), and does fairly heavy squats, lunges etc. as well as bodyweight exercises and medicine ball work too.

beaks

HSC
I train for downhill mountain biking. Just starting to get more and more serious with it, just as I'm approaching yr 12, which should make things interesting.

I try and get out for a run 3 times a week, a road ride up the local mountain (mt dandenong for all you vic people), and pretend like I'm going to get into some strength training. I just don't have the motivation for strength training. I'm considering joining a gym, but I ride mountain bikes all weekend, so it ends up getting a bit costly.

Still, it's all good fun! Any other suggestions as to what I should be doing. I'm aiming to be able to sprint, with a fair bit of power for up to a minute at a time, with a 20 second break over 4 minutes if that makes sense.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I used to train for mass. Now I train for speed, agility and strength for martial arts. I also 'train' to keep fit and alert for the mental workouts I tend to have when I sit down with the maths books.

HSC
I referee Rugby LEague, so i train to be really really fit, and be able to outrun all the players on the field. During the season, i like to be able to get to 11 or 12 on the beep test after a hard training session.

NinjaSauce

HSC
day26.org said:
i train so i can look good for the ladies ;)
Arguably, this is the most 'functional training' anyone can do. Biologically, everything we do is to get the (or more) ladies. Thus, if you assumed bodybuilding is what women want, it is vastly more functional that 1,000,000 yoga ball exercises, any sport, or having any strength level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)