• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What does it mean to "Burn Out"? (1 Viewer)

Ambility

HSC
My teacher warned me today to be careful of burning out. We were in a 1 on 1 conversation and he told me to avoid it. What is it and how can I avoid it?

astroman

HSC
it means just getting sick of studying coz u are doing too much of it

Ambility

HSC
So should I be limiting the amount of hours I should be studying? I thought more would always be better, as long as I don't race ahead too far.

teridax

HSC
N/A
So should I be limiting the amount of hours I should be studying? I thought more would always be better, as long as I don't race ahead too far.
Efficient study>bullshit study (entails FB, YT and the like)

photastic

HSC
Reasons why I burnt out was perhaps due to, studying subjects I hate, studying mindlessly, sleeping late, binge watching shows, procrastination, GOT, no motivation to study due to the dislike of most of my subjects, and no goal.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
when you light yourself on fire and burn to ashes

so just avoid fire and anything flammable tbh

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
lose your 'mojo' i.e. motivation. Have no motivation to study or do anything. Feel always tired.
The November after HSC feeling but premature.

Bingobango

HSC
As already mentioned, "burning out" is losing the energy or desire to study (or even do basic life activities because you just cbf). Think of the imagery of a fire burning out. It's burning, then it fizzles, and eventually there's no more flame.

I'd liken it to not recovering properly from consistently intense exercise. For example, if you get up every day and do a series of sprints, then head to the gym and lift really heavy weights, but you don't taken in enough carbohydrates/water/protein/sleep, after a while your performance will significantly drop because your nervous system just hasn't recovered. Your CNS has a 'cloud' over it and your peripheral nervous system just doesn't have the fuel to keep exercising. Burnout is a similar feeling to this, where it feels like your nervous system has just given up on you.

As far as exercise goes, this happens when you don't recover properly. Sleeping, eating etc.

I'd say it's similar with study. It's not necessarily study itself that causes burnout, but demented habits that arise from studying. Such as, shitty sleeping habits, shitty eating habits, no leisure time because you're constantly too anxious about studying to relax. I mean, how is it that some people play rugby/soccer 3 nights a week, go to a party every so often and still manage to get 90+ ATARs? You'd think these people would "burnout" from all the energy they're expending, but it's not about direct time investment, rather about the way you invest your time. If you invest your time constantly studying in unenjoyable ways and not eating/sleeping/seeing friends/enjoying your life, your motivation will obviously be shot to shit real quick. Just make sure you structure your study in a way that allows you to enjoy life and not be consumed by the HSC, and you won't burnout. If you feel like you are just simply incapable of studying, then don't force yourself to. Take a week off and just come back with a vengeance later.

Edit: Lol first post, just found this community today. Wish I found it in high school lol!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)