What does it take to ace general maths? (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
What does it take to ace general maths (given that you have some maths flair)?

I really want to drop general maths and focus on my other 10 units (Adv English, Modern, Ancient, Legal and Business), but there's this thought at the back of my head that I will stuff up one of my subjects. I currently (based on year 11) have good- great ranks for each of these subjects and I really much enjoy them, but my mind won't free me from torment :p

So basically, how hard is it to get, say, 94+ in general maths overall for the HSC?
Also, what will disadvantage me (if I keep general maths) is my low performing cohort. There's maybe 10 people in my whole year who get 90% + for general maths, where some get in the 80s, and the majority 10%- just a pass. Will this have a detrimental impact on my general maths final HSC mark?

Please offer me with some advice and opinions. Very, very, very much appreciated!

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Well my teacher says doing General Maths is a risk, u'd rather do 2u. Because general, low people get band 6 and if u bomb general it will destroy ur ATAR

Honestly u just need experience in doing past papers

I may be wrong, but general is a big risk if u want to continue maths

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Well my teacher says doing General Maths is a risk, u'd rather do 2u. Because general, low people get band 6 and if u bomb general it will destroy ur ATAR
But if OP has 12 units and bombs general it wouldn't destroy her ATAR. You know what I would do keep maths until you have done say 50% of the internal assesment if you have a higher rank in gen maths than some of you're other subs, keep it otherwise it mabye worthwhile to cosider dropping that's what I'm going to do with Bio.

Last edited:

gleeek

HSC
But if OP has 12 units and bombs general it wouldn't destroy her ATAR. You know what I would do keep maths until you have done say 50% of the internal assesment if you have a higher rank in gen maths than some of you're other subs, keep it otherwise it mabye cosider dropping that's what I'm going to do with Bio.
Yeah, that's my plan :) I'm just more concerned to find out if it will be worthwhile in terms of scaling and time consumption

enoilgam

HSC
A lot of people underestimate General - sure, it isnt very difficult but you do need to put some effort into the subject.

gleeek

HSC
A lot of people underestimate General - sure, it isnt very difficult but you do need to put some effort into the subject.
Yeah, I completely agree with you. Especially the advanced/ext kids treating it like it's as easy as year 7 work. I bet that half of them would struggle with understanding the concepts immediately if they moved down.

B0

HSC
N/A
General math is the easiest subject I have ever done and I'm retarded at maths. Buy a graphics calculator and you'll find it easy. I basically have only done like 5 past papers in my life and so far I'm getting all of them in 90's

p3rf3ction

HSC
Man you guys really think that u must get 90+ to not get screwed over with your ATAR dont you? If you get 85+ its a band 6, get 70+ its a band 5..thats pretty fcuking good, assuming ur ranks are top 10ish

p3rf3ction

HSC
Oh and btw, 2U is a HUGE RISK, not general, general can never be too hard. Whilst 2U can, and ull have to drop into a subject you havent studied in.

gleeek

HSC
Oh and btw, 2U is a HUGE RISK, not general, general can never be too hard. Whilst 2U can, and ull have to drop into a subject you havent studied in.
I will agree with that. But then what if something happens you you stuff up general, the effects will be more horrific than stuffing up advanced.

p3rf3ction

HSC
I will agree with that. But then what if something happens you you stuff up general, the effects will be more horrific than stuffing up advanced.
if you put in the same effort as you would in 2U in general, your definately gonna get band 6 (I know i'd state rank seeing as I used to put so much effort in 2U in yr 11). So if you half arse general, your still gonna get band 5 +, and if your screwing up then just drop maths altogether cause you obviously arent capable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)