What does 'practicing' something actually mean, and what happens in the brain as we do so? (1 Viewer)

nuvardex

HSC
I see countless Matrix and ATAR Notes articles/forums which illustrate the importance of practicing a subject like maths. I would consider that, by doing HSC questions alongside my textbook questions, I am 'practicing.' However, what actually happens in our brains as we do more and more maths? If one might have an extensive understanding of a certain topic, how does doing countless questions improve their ability? For example, I have come across difficult questions in the past on worksheets. I don't actively remember how I did them or what they are, but somehow, it has prepared me to answer questions with a little more difficulty each time without me actively realising it. How does this work and why does this happen?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I see countless Matrix and ATAR Notes articles/forums which illustrate the importance of practicing a subject like maths. I would consider that, by doing HSC questions alongside my textbook questions, I am 'practicing.' However, what actually happens in our brains as we do more and more maths? If one might have an extensive understanding of a certain topic, how does doing countless questions improve their ability? For example, I have come across difficult questions in the past on worksheets. I don't actively remember how I did them or what they are, but somehow, it has prepared me to answer questions with a little more difficulty each time without me actively realising it. How does this work and why does this happen?
It's not too different to training in sport or gaming. The principle is to familiarise yourself with learning a new skill/concept/technique/strategy that is initially brand new to you. With enough practice, over time you will gain enough understanding and confidence so that when you are tested in solving unseen problems in an exam you can draw upon your past experience to come up with the solution. This is analogous to how say an athlete trains with practice drills to prepare for a big-game.

It is particularly effective if you discovered the solution (to a harder problem) yourself rather than someone spoon-feeding it to you, as you will intrinsically remember the psychological satisfaction that came with it, hence making it easier to recall when you see a similar problem in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)