what does sophistication mean in english? HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

jennly

HSC
My teacher just keep telling me that my English essay lack sophistication. I can get all the technical mark like discussion, argument and evidence to back it up but i cant get the higher mark than 16/20 or 12/15.

So now i don't know what to do to get higher mark. Does sophistication mean i have to use elaborated word?
Can someone tell me what sophistication mean and how do i achieve that level

deswa1

HSC
Sophistication is talking about big ideas not neccessarily big words. Having said this, if your essay is limited to the techniques of simile and metaphor, well then... To be sophisticated, work on clarity of expression etc.

enoilgam

HSC
Sophistication is talking about big ideas not neccessarily big words. Having said this, if your essay is limited to the techniques of simile and metaphor, well then... To be sophisticated, work on clarity of expression etc.
This pretty much - sophistication refers primarily to your ideas as opposed to the language used (personally, I think simple english works best with essays). For english, I would say higher order techniques fall under the sophisticated ideas catagory.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well look at your analysis.

Is it 'deep' or is it superficial? How good are your points?

It's just the vibe of the thing.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's the ideas, the examples and techniques you pick out from a text. It's not always about words you use or anything like that.

A lot of exemplar and top essays use fairly simply words (not overly simple) that are EASY TO READ and not convoluted with random words that try to make the writer look smarter. Occasionally, you can use a big word that adds authority to your essay but not like 5 big words per sentence. I've seen some of those essays and they can really make it harder to read as it doesn't flow very well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)