what does the hsc actually measure. (1 Viewer)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I guess it depends on which subject, as in it differs, but i do feel there is an over emphasis on memory (but thats not saying that the sole factor is memory)

Black.Magic

HSC
Ahem!

The HSC measures one's ability to sell one's soul, to devote thousands of hours of free time to learning a whole heap of bullshit that you do not want to learn. It's about having knowledge rammed down your gullet with the threat that if you do not do well, you will end up as a street-sweeper.

"My son said 'daddy, I don't wanna go to school, 'cause the teacher's a jerk, he must think I'm a fool. And all the kids smoke reefer; I think it'd be cheaper if I just got a job, learned to be a street sweeper. I'd dance to the beat, shuffle my feet, wear a shirt and tie and run with the creeps. 'Cause it's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny..."

Those Grandmaster Flash lyrics came flooding over me and I just had to type them. Anyway, the HSC is a waste of time. It doesn't measure anything of value, in short. I cannot see why so many limp-wristed people on this site get all wound up about the HSC. I just hope that many of you don't walk out of the exam room for the last time and think 'gee, I wasted a whole year of my precious youth. And for what? A number that nobody will even care about in a year's time".

Think about it, people.

HSC
Black.Magic said:
Ahem!

The HSC measures one's ability to sell one's soul, to devote thousands of hours of free time to learning a whole heap of bullshit that you do not want to learn. It's about having knowledge rammed down your gullet with the threat that if you do not do well, you will end up as a street-sweeper.

"My son said 'daddy, I don't wanna go to school, 'cause the teacher's a jerk, he must think I'm a fool. And all the kids smoke reefer; I think it'd be cheaper if I just got a job, learned to be a street sweeper. I'd dance to the beat, shuffle my feet, wear a shirt and tie and run with the creeps. 'Cause it's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny..."

Those Grandmaster Flash lyrics came flooding over me and I just had to type them. Anyway, the HSC is a waste of time. It doesn't measure anything of value, in short. I cannot see why so many limp-wristed people on this site get all wound up about the HSC. I just hope that many of you don't walk out of the exam room for the last time and think 'gee, I wasted a whole year of my precious youth. And for what? A number that nobody will even care about in a year's time".

Think about it, people.
Lmao, underlying message: I'm expecting a 70.

SpoonSamba

HSC
time management and organisation

it srsly is nota measure of intelligence

HSC
how well you can bow to the will of the BOS.

seriously, the whole thing is so PACKED that even the most intelligent of people hardly have time to express their own original thoughts. And if they do, they soon realise it goes largely unappreciated.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Hello2U2 said:
how well you can bow to the will of the BOS.

seriously, the whole thing is so PACKED that even the most intelligent of people hardly have time to express their own original thoughts. And if they do, they soon realise it goes largely unappreciated.
that's because you're children who know nothing and have nothing interesting or useful of your own to contribute

shut up and start memorising facts

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
that's because you're children who know nothing and have nothing interesting or useful of your own to contribute

shut up and start memorising facts
Agreed.

It gives me the fucking shits when kids my age have political views, let alone views on anything.

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
doesn't that statement constitute a view? :D
Yeah, apologies.

Anyone who does modern history will know what I'm talking about though. There's always a bunch of dropkicks who can memorise the exact dimensions of any battleship which ever fought in WWII and seem to expouse these really leftfield observations of any war, yet you put them in an exam room and they're lucky to pass.

I just wish they'd shut up and work rather then debating whether Reifenstahl was actually a nazi.

blankpage

HSC
Determination, memory, and motivation. Obviously natural ability plays a role however even if you are 'naturally smart' and dont work hard, you can still score poorly. The people who work the hardest reap the greatest rewards IMO. Or at least they should.

Shanku

HSC
I think the HSC measures how well you have grasped concepts rather than procedures. This is especially evident in subjects such as Physics. There's no set procedure you have to follow like "do this for step one, then do this, then this...". You have to decide for yourself where each formula applies and why. They want you to put your own thought into it rather than regurgitating rote memorised statistics and facts (unless you're doing something like Economics).

So basically they want to know if you've been thinking for yourself or if you're letting a textbook do the thinking for you.

That's my thoughts. I don't know if they are the true ideas for the actual HSC but I think it's logical.

Also, as the others have said, they measure your determination, endurance, memory skills, etc. as well.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Shanku said:
They want you to put your own thought into it rather than regurgitating rote memorised statistics and facts (unless you're doing something like Economics)
lol, do you even do economics?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)