• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What double would be better suited for working in finance? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Hi

UAI = 97.35 im probably going to Uni of Wollongong

wanted to know which double degree would be more suited to working in a financial job- What would be more regarded by employers??? What would give more career diversity?

B commerce/ b laws or B commerce/engineering (probably finance amjor)

i can get into both. Law seems in my opinion to probabloy be more regarded, however i have been warned that it is a very heavy workload, quite dry at times and only for the 'passionate'. Who knows, i might really enjoy law but im not sure. Engineering looks interesting as you dont choose your major until the 2nd year, u can go down both paths (engineer or work in business) and u gain strong mathematical skills to assist in finance. I was mainly considering environmental or civil engineering. However, i have never really been a massive 'practical hands-on' person, despite being good at maths/science. Possibly law might suit me as im quite good at communication (speaking), written work, essays...

What would the social life be like doing law or engineering? I noticed law is 30 cp a session compared to 24 for engineering- plus i l do like maths, i think id miss never doing it again??

Last edited:
HSC
Cookie182 said:
Hi

UAI = 97.35 im probably going to Uni of Wollongong

wanted to know which double degree would be more suited to working in a financial job- What would be more regarded by employers??? What would give more career diversity?

B commerce/ b laws or B commerce/engineering (probably finance amjor)

i can get into both. Law seems in my opinion to probabloy be more regarded, however i have been warned that it is a very heavy workload, quite dry at times and only for the 'passionate'. Who knows, i might really enjoy law but im not sure. Engineering looks interesting as you dont choose your major until the 2nd year, u can go down both paths (engineer or work in business) and u gain strong mathematical skills to assist in finance. I was mainly considering environmental or civil engineering. However, i have never really been a massive 'practical hands-on' person, despite being good at maths/science. Possibly law might suit me as im quite good at communication (speaking), written work, essays...

What would the social life be like doing law or engineering? I noticed law is 30 cp a session compared to 24 for engineering- plus i l do like maths, i think id miss never doing it again??
i can answer some of your questions

*i'd imagine for the job prospects alone, comm/law would be your best bet as law is generally highly regarded.

* i know six or seven people who have just finished first year law thinking they would like it, etc. one has dropped out and none of the others (to my knowledge) liked it at all. but maybe that's just first year law, who knows...

*in engineering the course programs are slightly different (but i would say 6/8 subjects would be the same) so you might not necessarily be able to change between majors after first year (well not without losing time, overloading or doing summer session anyway).

*in first year you will be seeing a lot of your engineering or law buddies since they pretty much have all their classes together (law especially) so i suppose socially it would be good...

*will you miss maths? i notice you didn't do 3unit math....you may have liked two unit maths but uni maths is much different and quite hard to adapt to if you haven't done three unit at least (not that you couldn't handle it, your uai is very good and i'd imagine you went very well in maths)...

*tbh based on your post i'm not sure you would be suited to either law or engineering..just because they require hard work and you need to have a fair bit of passion for it...maybe you could consider a straight commerce degree or commerce/science (or psych) double?

good luck with your preferences

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)