Votes: 27 56.3%
  • The Excel

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Others!

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters

M-THIS

whats the go!
under some points in the syllabus all three books have completely different information regarding completely different things!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Excel is most relevant to actual syllabus dot points, ie, good revision for mc's/short answers to an extent, but Bulmer, Dixon, Riley et al are the meat, and u should be basing your extended reposnes and 5 mark short answers on information in these books

redhat

Are there any other textbooks that adhere to the syllabus and are less known or bought by everyone?

I just cant take in the explanations done by Dixon because he puts it in words that makes a simple concept stretched on for pages.

Bulmer -- doesn't really adhere that greatly to the syllabus

Excel - a bit too concise, but excellent for reading when cramming :)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i used bulmer, the advantage of that is a light bag =) (for school)
but then er its pretty crapP . i mainly use get smart *even thoz it a study guide) good summaries and questions. Dixon is good but its so thick 0_O

>sweet candy<

yeah mercy in chatswood uses yea12 economics course leading edge one that is updated every year!!
its pretty good but hard to read
maryjane

Taz

ThankGodItsNotStill2003
We use the Leading Edge (Dixon/O'Mahony) in class plus the Leading Edge Workbook. I also use the Excel to study from occasionally, but mainly only when i can't be bothered reading through the huge amounts of info that the Leading Edge book provides. Excel is good for short summaries of the info. Best for revision once youve learnt all the work from another text.

We have another excellent resource though. Our teacher is a walking, talking economics machine. We all think he dreams about it coz he knows so much. Its great to have a teacher that can not only basically recite the whole course off the top of his head, but actually teaches it all to us as well.

His motto - Economics Lives People... Economics Lives

Another resource we use is the Leading Edge monthly economic updates. They are great. They have articles in them about the most significant economic developments over the past month and also have a section on the back that tells you all the current stats. E.g. CAD, Net Foreign Debt, Unemployment Rate, Inflation Rate etc.

gnrlies

HSC
I think that you need to get definitions, basic concepts, impacts / effects and things like that in order before you go onto the harder stuff...

Riley is so boring. It clouds it up with so much irrelevant information for the main concepts...

It is good for information for extended responses, but then a better resource for that is articles and the economics update things that im sure your school subrscirbes to.

I mean mutiple choice - easy 20 marks
short answers - require definitions and impacts / effects study

That doesn't require the extra content

and then extended reponse, well they usually focus on the syllabus in which case you can form a framework (through impacts / effects) and then add the meat from the articles n stuff youve been reading!

No need for such an involved textbook....

But dixon is the best

AGB

HSC
i hav seen both the excel eco's study guide and the get smart one (it is chequered black and white on the cover), and the get smart one is streets ahead of the excel one.....

if u are struggling for time to study, i recommend the get smart book because it is concise, has good info, and laid out really well

mazza_yr12

hi i'm a last-minute, cramming person....what textbook do you guys recommend for that?? would excel be any good??

danni_boi

We ONLY use the Riley one in class (year 12 economics 2003)... and I find it is very long-winded and tends to rehash its points... but our teacher is very big on class discussion in learning and sets us lots of research and SA tasks... and we use a lot of the economics updates and RBA suppliments...
Which of the supplimentary books (Excel or Get Smart) is more concise? I need some information that isnt frustratingly repetitive...
:)

~juju~

our skool uses riley, & i reckon its the best on da mkt

bulmer - good but not always w/ da syllabus
dixon - too simplified, just glosses over it
excel - got bored after 3 mins reading it

but then again we use a combo of everything in class, financial review, leading edge articles, bulmer

d_carey

Dixon is the best, but it's good to have one or two others as well, Riley is good, but he can be a bit hard to understand sometimes.

marko

haha this just reminds me, while we're talking about riley: was there anyone at the conference in chatswood a week or two ago when riley blew up at a guy for making some comment in the last lecture of the day? it was so funny, because he seems like a fairly serious bloke.. it went something along the lines of "I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW, SIR, THAT IT IS A VALID ECONOMIC ARGUMENT" and he repoeated it proabably 3 times.. haha :) anyway, back to the topic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)