What elective is everyone studying? (1 Viewer)

evanstroeve

Premium Member
HSC
I did After the Bomb this year. It's fantastic. I'm glad my teacher chose it. The After the Bomb period is almost 50 years, which means there is a shitload of suitable relateds, themes to reflect in creative etc. Hope you come to enjoy it as much as I did.

Deep Blue

HSC
What texts did you end up studying, prescribed and related? Anything else you could share that would help us out; as you can probably see the Extension section is pretty bare especially in relation to after the bomb. So far I've read Waiting for Godot and Catch-22 and would love to read more texts like those if you have any idea.

evanstroeve

Premium Member
HSC
We did Catch-22, Hiroshima and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Catch is so good.
But our teacher made sure we had a bank of related texts to draw from.
In the trial I used '1984' and Ginsberg's 'Howl'. Both fantastic. If you've never read the later, it's a pretty long poem. Read it. My favouriteee. I got 25/25 for this one too, so cheering.
Creative can be difficult. It really depends on the person. Again, the period is broad enough for you to find some event to base your creative around. That's what I did anyway. Shows contextual knowledge etc.

Deep Blue

HSC
We did Catch-22, Hiroshima and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Catch is so good.
In the trial I used '1984' and Ginsberg's 'Howl'. Both fantastic. If you've never read the later, it's a pretty long poem. Read it. My favouriteee. I got 25/25 for this one too, so cheering.
Creative can be difficult. It really depends on the person. Again, the period is broad enough for you to find some event to base your creative around. That's what I did anyway. Shows contextual knowledge etc.
Thanks, that helps heaps.

silentdreamer

HSC
I got lucky, and i'm doing After the Bomb as well which sounds really good so far. The other elective my school offers is textual dynamics which doesn't sound as interesting.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
We're doing Science Fiction. Works out nicely for me seeing as I've already read Dune, Neuromancer and Brave New World. :)

It gives a rather broad scope for related texts and creative writing as well.

fakermaker

HSC
If you're doing After the bomb, you will definitely enjoy it.

Best course I've ever done.

Just make sure you at least read Catch-22 and The Spy who came in from the cold. DEMAND THEM!

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
I read Howl for my EE2 project :p It is honestly amazing, one of the best poems I've ever read <3 Man you guys are lucky, I have to do Romanticism ._. I suppose it's easy to bs though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)