What English Paragraph Structure Acronym Should I Be Using??? (1 Viewer)

claudiflower

HSC
1598254632593.pngSeeing this was the last straw between me not asking and 100% asking this. What structure should I be using during exams?? I'm currently doing Othello for Year 11 Module B. I've heard PEEL,TEEL,PETAL,SEAL and more which is the best? is PETAL and TEEL meant to be used as two seperate. I've heard multiple meanings for each of the letters too so I am confusion.:confused2:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
To put it simply honestly doesn't matter. You can use any of those kinds of paragraphs structures and if you do it well you will do well. I never personally used any strict paragraph structure and got a high band 6 in advanced English, so safe to say the English teachers aren't explicitly looking for that. If you answer the question well and have good quotes with analysis you will be fine

nicoling

HSC
There's also Paired Paragraph structure which is really good for comparative essays!
Eg. Hagseed and Tempest - includes 2 ideas
Introduction
1st para Hagseed Theme/Idea: reconciliation
2nd para Tempest Theme/Idea: reconciliation
3rd para Hagseed Theme/Idea: Conflict
4th para Tempest Theme/Idea: Conflict
Conclusion
I find it a lot easier for comparisons but up to you! doesn't really matter.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
View attachment 28708Seeing this was the last straw between me not asking and 100% asking this. What structure should I be using during exams?? I'm currently doing Othello for Year 11 Module B. I've heard PEEL,TEEL,PETAL,SEAL and more which is the best? is PETAL and TEEL meant to be used as two seperate. I've heard multiple meanings for each of the letters too so I am confusion.:confused2:
My English teacher for some reason has told me recently to use TEAEAL only because it's a way of strengthening your point by having layered evidence. Although I'd think through using this structure you'd only really need to write 2 strong body paragraphs considering exam time constraints.

beetree1

HSC
Please remember your context sentences right after your topic sentence!

cossine

HSC
For an English essay, without the example, there is no explanation that can be given.

So :

Point

Explanation (No explanation is possible without the example)

Example

Link

will not work.

But:

Point

Example

Explanation

Link

will work.

As such, there is no strict rule and either form of PEEL can be used. All the other acronyms mentioned are similar to one of the versions of PEEL

Make sure you use enough examples for an essay otherwise marks can be deducted. Don't just use one quote per body paragraph. See marking criteria.

For this reason, it makes sense to do something similar to what Etho_X mentioned.

claudiflower

HSC
My English teacher for some reason has told me recently to use TEAEAL only because it's a way of strengthening your point by having layered evidence. Although I'd think through using this structure you'd only really need to write 2 strong body paragraphs considering exam time constraints.
So technique example analysis example analysis link ? that makes sense

claudiflower

HSC
To put it simply honestly doesn't matter. You can use any of those kinds of paragraphs structures and if you do it well you will do well. I never personally used any strict paragraph structure and got a high band 6 in advanced English, so safe to say the English teachers aren't explicitly looking for that. If you answer the question well and have good quotes with analysis you will be fine
I'm so glad to hear they aren't explicitly looking for that - I've found in modern history they are a bit stricter with that. I'm glad I can just write more freely.

claudiflower

HSC
For an English essay, without the example, there is no explanation that can be given.

So :

Point

Explanation (No explanation is possible without the example)

Example

Link

will not work.

But:

Point

Example

Explanation

Link

will work.

As such, there is no strict rule and either form of PEEL can be used. All the other acronyms mentioned are similar to one of the versions of PEEL

Make sure you use enough examples for an essay otherwise marks can be deducted. Don't just use one quote per body paragraph. See marking criteria.

For this reason, it makes sense to do something similar to what Etho_X mentioned.
Thank you so much this makes much more sense :) - In an exam I don't think there would be a marking criteria though, would the rule of thumb be maybe two quotes per paragraph?

claudiflower

HSC
There's also Paired Paragraph structure which is really good for comparative essays!
Eg. Hagseed and Tempest - includes 2 ideas
Introduction
1st para Hagseed Theme/Idea: reconciliation
2nd para Tempest Theme/Idea: reconciliation
3rd para Hagseed Theme/Idea: Conflict
4th para Tempest Theme/Idea: Conflict
Conclusion
I find it a lot easier for comparisons but up to you! doesn't really matter.
This is a great structure for comparative essay questions :) much easier than what I tried to do last time which was write about one book first then the other. Thank you :)

cossine

HSC
Thank you so much this makes much more sense :) - In an exam I don't think there would be a marking criteria though, would the rule of thumb be maybe two quotes per paragraph?
I did 8 quotes for each essay, but I am not sure how many quotes you should aim for?

You should find the marking criteria on NESA past HSC exams if you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)