What exactly is 3U math and how do i prepare for it (1 Viewer)

Clueless0182

HSC
Im currently in year 10 and a bit confused about how 3U math works and what is the difference between it and 2U math in terms of classes.
At school are there separate classes that i might have to go to i.e. one for advanced math and another for ext 1 or is 3U just one class??
Also im thinking of starting to look at the content and practise a bit just so that im ready for next year however idk if i shld practise from both a math adv textbook and a ext 1 or just ext 1?

Thanks

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Im currently in year 10 and a bit confused about how 3U math works and what is the difference between it and 2U math in terms of classes.
At school are there separate classes that i might have to go to i.e. one for advanced math and another for ext 1 or is 3U just one class??
Also im thinking of starting to look at the content and practise a bit just so that im ready for next year however idk if i shld practise from both a math adv textbook and a ext 1 or just ext 1?

Thanks
3u covers both the extension course and the advanced course. Most schools, as far as I know combine both the extension class and advanced class into one group. If you want to start studying early, open up the syllabus and find the topics that will be covered. You can find a textbook for that work. Will you be doing ext 2? If so, then personally don't bother with advanced. If not, it's best that you do both ext 1 and advanced.

Edit: Just realised you're in yr 10. Probs best to do both ext 1 and adv studies. The higher your marks the more likely you'll be able to do ext 2 if that's what you plan on doing.

Clueless0182

HSC
3u covers both the extension course and the advanced course. Most schools, as far as I know combine both the extension class and advanced class into one group. If you want to start studying early, open up the syllabus and find the topics that will be covered. You can find a textbook for that work. Will you be doing ext 2? If so, then personally don't bother with advanced. If not, it's best that you do both ext 1 and advanced.

Edit: Just realised you're in yr 10. Probs best to do both ext 1 and adv studies. The higher your marks the more likely you'll be able to do ext 2 if that's what you plan on doing.
Thanks!

So does this mean i would have to find a textbook for both adv math and ext math and practise them both for next year or does the ext1 textbook cover both?

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks!

So does this mean i would have to find a textbook for both adv math and ext math and practise them both for next year or does the ext1 textbook cover both?
Your school should provide you textbooks but since you're starting early, I reckon go find some online pdfs.

icycledough

HSC
This is just information from the NESA website, often a very important website to refer to syllabuses and any proposed changes in HSC (extremely relevant over last 2 years).

Year 11 Advanced topics:

Functions
Trig Functions (functions, identities and measure of angles)
Calculus (intro to differentiation)
Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
Statistical Analysis (probability and discrete probability distributions)

Year 11 Extension topics:

Functions (further work and polynomials)
Trig Functions (inverse and further functions)
Calculus (rates of change)
Combinatorics (perms and coms)

Essentially, extension requires a thorough understanding of the advanced course as it will be assumed knowledge, as well as developing further with the listed topics

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The Cambridge MX1 texts have a year 11 and year 12 volume and cover all of the Advanced content, so they will be all you need. The MX2 course has a separate book covering only the extra material in MX2.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Your school should provide you textbooks but since you're starting early, I reckon go find some online pdfs.
Not that anyone here would imply or suggest any sort of copyright violations, so I am sure you mean the PDFs available to those with the codes supplied when purchasing the books. There will likely be cheaper copies of texts available second hand shortly after the HSC is done.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Not that anyone here would imply or suggest any sort of copyright violations, so I am sure you mean the PDFs available to those with the codes supplied when purchasing the books. There will likely be cheaper copies of texts available second hand shortly after the HSC is done.
Nono of course not. I'm talking about those free pdf worksheets and the Howard free textbook online. Not to mention this website https://mathsvideosaustralia.com/nsw/ which is pretty much a free textbook. Sorry for any misinformation and false implications.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Nono of course not. I'm talking about those free pdf worksheets and the Howard free textbook online. Not to mention this website https://mathsvideosaustralia.com/nsw/ which is pretty much a free textbook. Sorry for any misinformation and false implications.
Yes, those are also great resources. I was sure you wouldn't be suggesting that anyone do anything wrong. :)

BoS can get into trouble if such suggestions are made and they go unaddressed, so I just added the clarification.

Clueless0182

HSC
Thanks for your answers guys,
Do you have any recommendations on which topics i should start practising this term.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Thanks for your answers guys,
Do you have any recommendations on which topics i should start practising this term.
I'm not sure about your school but for us we had perms/combs first. Its by far the hardest topic you'll do for MX1 (imo) and the only real way to guarantee a decent mark for it is through extreme exposure and practice, I reckon most of the time I've studied for maths is solely for combinatorics. After you get the hang of it, it doesn't become too bad but its brutal if you come in unprepared. The main issue you'll find is that certain methods you use won't work for all problems and the skills really just your gut feeling/intuition about the problem.

Differentiation and Integration are relatively easy topics to get into. the concepts and techniques are formulaic and pretty straight forward - you can memorise it and you would be fine for Year 11. Just ensure your good at algebraic manipulation or else stuff like the Quotient Rule would trip you up early on - its not smart doing Calculus or any topic in that manner if your algebra is not strong. You're better off just revising the fundamentals because that's where so much people make mistakes in when doing MX1/adv - basic stuff like forgetting the -ve sign or incorrect log laws etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)