• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What Excercise Did You Do Today? (1 Viewer)

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
not a thing. feeling guilty seeing as sis has been at the gym for 2 hours now.

edit: pffft what do i care? i'm skinny as

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I am currently recovering from a relatively bad tear to my right iliopsoas (hip flexor) which is significantly limiting the exercise I can do. Normally I do the Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness main site workout of the day. I also compete in adventure races and similar events.

At the moment my physio mandated exercise consists of:
- 50 x air squat
- 100 x walking lunge
- 100 x side lunge
- 200 x monster walk (walking around with a rubber band connecting my ankles)
- 10 x rotating holds (left side, front, right side)
- 30 x side hold crunches

To this I add:
- 50-100 x pushups/variations thereof
- 10-20 x handstand holds/pushups

From memory pre-injury/when in condition my numbers were:
- 75kg ish weight
- 145kg deadlift
- 150 kg squat
- 80 kg bench
- 70kg Clean and Jerk
- 60kg Snatch

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
As far as the earlier debate around compound versus isolation, I think it is pretty clear cut:
- Compond stimulates a greater neuroendocrine response meaning you get big quicker and all over. I saw one study which showed a 10% increase in bicep size just from squatting.
- Compound exercises are closer to real-world tasks so develop usable strength. Deadlift - picking up heavy things, squat - carrying heavy loads, clean and jerk - lifting heavy things above your head, pull-up - climbing, etc.
- Compound exercises force the even development of muscle which avoids imbalances, and imblances cause injury.
- Compound exercises performed correctly do not place your body in unhealthy positions (eg shear stress of smith machines and quad extensions).

So all up compound exercises make you bigger, develop real strength, prevent injury and are safer to do. IMO isolation exercises are best used by competitive bodybuilders who need to develop specific areas for stylistic or symmetry reasons.

quik.

HSC
- Compound exercises force the even development of muscle which avoids imbalances, and imblances cause injury.
This is not necessarily true. Dominant arm will generally take more of the load in a barbell bench press, for example. Continuing the bench press theme, dumbell bench press avoids this as each arm is required to support and press a given weight, the dominant arm cannot compensate.

chamelia

HSC
You better be serious! Don't go breaking an old fat woman's heart now! I woke up with the tighest feeling abs I can ever remember and my ass aches chronic everytime I bend. It's awesome. Must do it all again some other time. :)

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Deadly serious.

My arms are absolutely killing me - it sucks being unfit when people think you're actually fit as a fiddle :(

Last edited:
HSC
This is not necessarily true. Dominant arm will generally take more of the load in a barbell bench press, for example. Continuing the bench press theme, dumbell bench press avoids this as each arm is required to support and press a given weight, the dominant arm cannot compensate.
With exception of omie at a buck .50 who's right arm is bigger than his left, how many novices/intermediates actually have serious issues in muscular imbalances?

Me, I'd run compoud exercises until you get big, then sort out muscular imbalances once they cause problems (for example I need extra work for my core strength, someone else might not find this but may instead have weak hamstrings).

And in regards to the DB press: its superior to the BB bench press in terms of ROM but requires a greater skill level which prevents noobs from sufficient loading. I wouldn't suggest it.

YouTube - Ronnie Coleman - 800 lbs Squat *Clear Quality* - fuck I love this shit.

Last edited:

quik.

HSC
With exception of omie at a buck .50 who's right arm is bigger than his left, how many novices/intermediates actually have serious issues in muscular imbalances?

Me, I'd run compoud exercises until you get big, then sort out muscular imbalances once they cause problems (for example I need extra work for my core strength, someone else might not find this but may instead have weak hamstrings).

And in regards to the DB press: its superior to the BB bench press in terms of ROM but requires a greater skill level which prevents noobs from sufficient loading. I wouldn't suggest it.
Nowhere in his post did it refer only to beginners. But to answer your questions:

Most people will have a dominant arm at the least, it's the one you write with. This has immediate impacts on training if only for grip strength. Beginner or not, if one hand hasn't got the grip strength to finish that set of deadlifts, it's an issue. Personally I've also got a dominant lower limb (insert penis joke here), so one leg generally does more of the work in squats etc than the other, grows more than the other, and the cycle continues.

I would rather deal with these when they became apparent, in the context of a balanced program definitely, but I would deal with the none the less. I don't want to be pressing and have my weak shoulder blow out because it's been lagging behind and I was going to get to it later.

As far as dumbbell exercises being 'advanced' I agree and disagree. They require more stabilisation, better CNS response, all that but those are all positives in my mind. Once a person is beyond the absolute beginner stage and is actually training I don't see why they shouldn't be implemented, especially if they have pronounced balance issues (strength or size wise).

Laika_

Banned
HSC
you have to run for atleast 30mins at a time for it to help you at all

HSC
Nowhere in his post did it refer only to beginners. But to answer your questions:
With the exception of probs jezzmo and you nobody on this forum is over 90kg. Probs misread but I take noobs/intermediates to be the target audience of everything.

Most people will have a dominant arm at the least, it's the one you write with. This has immediate impacts on training if only for grip strength. Beginner or not, if one hand hasn't got the grip strength to finish that set of deadlifts, it's an issue. Personally I've also got a dominant lower limb (insert penis joke here), so one leg generally does more of the work in squats etc than the other, grows more than the other, and the cycle continues.
For me I've almost got a 420kg total with nothing needed but some arm and core work (the former only being for ego reasons). I expect these things to be an issue for me once I'm doing 600+.

I would rather deal with these when they became apparent, in the context of a balanced program definitely, but I would deal with the none the less. I don't want to be pressing and have my weak shoulder blow out because it's been lagging behind and I was going to get to it later.
Shoulder weaknesses are blatently obvious though (one side of a press doesnt rise at the rate of another). Its not like you're going to miss it.

I just consider it a waste of time trying to prepare for everything. People add forearm work, arm work, abdominal work, oblique work, neck work, hamstring work, lower back work, rotor cuff work, calf work, trap work, rear and side delt work - if these problems dont exist this 'extra work' just gets in the way.

As far as dumbbell exercises being 'advanced' I agree and disagree. They require more stabilisation, better CNS response, all that but those are all positives in my mind. Once a person is beyond the absolute beginner stage and is actually training I don't see why they shouldn't be implemented, especially if they have pronounced balance issues (strength or size wise).
For me personally my total is the pinnacle, if an exercise doesn't contribute to it it's for shit, which is why I focus on the bench press. Considering I'm stronger and can vertical jump higher than a lot of my mates in first division rugby I think this would probably be a better approach for a lot of athletes.

quik.

HSC
Shoulder weaknesses are blatently obvious though (one side of a press doesnt rise at the rate of another). Its not like you're going to miss it.

I just consider it a waste of time trying to prepare for everything. People add forearm work, arm work, abdominal work, oblique work, neck work, hamstring work, lower back work, rotor cuff work, calf work, trap work, rear and side delt work - if these problems dont exist this 'extra work' just gets in the way.

For me personally my total is the pinnacle, if an exercise doesn't contribute to it it's for shit, which is why I focus on the bench press. Considering I'm stronger and can vertical jump higher than a lot of my mates in first division rugby I think this would probably be a better approach for a lot of athletes.
My whole point has been that if there is an imbalance that is both evident and negatively impacting on your performance then it should be worked on, within the confines of a balanced program, and not necessarily shelved to a more convenient time.

What I mean by that is you have your training template and you shuffle things around a bit to accomodate some work that will allow you to help fix the imbalance. For example I do dumbbell bench press as my 2nd last exercise on chest day for reps, not load. This is because my dominant arm and shoulder girdle are stronger, I like finishing off the day with movements for reps, and finally because a friend has my other dumbell weights and I can't go very heavy.

I never said add in a heap of crap just because, although most people (athletes included) could probably do with some shoulder rehab/flexibility work.

I also agree with your overall training idea (compounds come first), but we've been through that.

Edit: Missed this: I will concede that the general audience reached by this forum will be beginners, however dumbbell / single limb work is still suitable for those who are beyond the 'weak as piss' stage imo

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)