• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What factors influence scaling? (2 Viewers)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
A1, how do you know so much on uai's and scaling?
are you a teacher, a uni-student or year 9 kid?

A l

HSC
N/A
I’m currently a Year 11 student undertaking the Preliminary course.......:)
The reasons that I know so much about the UAI calculation process are because:
1. In the past, I myself had asked similar questions regarding this kind of topic. Many people had answered and discussed them, especially the “administrator of this website”. I had learnt a lot from doing so.
2. I look through other threads which are of relevance or regard the topic and I've gotten some information from them.
3. I developed a slight technical understanding of the UAI calculation process by looking through reports off the UAC website. I also gain understanding of how the HSC marks are processed, by looking at articles and reports from the Board of Studies website.

If you ask someone like “Lazarus” (the administrator of this website) he would probably give more details and explain it more clearly about it to you than I did.

A l

HSC
N/A
Sorry if I sounded a little too arrogant in the post above.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
What factors influence scaling?
theres difficulty of subject where the harder subjects like physics scales higher

what else?

what about how well your school does?
what about how well you compare against the state and the school?
Btw, can i get a simpler answer to my question?
What influences scaling?
Rankings? Marks? Difficulty of subject?

helper

HSC
N/A
The only thing that effects the scaling of a subject is how the people in your subjects go against the other subjects in the state.

Moderation of assessment and aligning affect other things not scaling.

A l

HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
Btw, can i get a simpler answer to my question?
What influences scaling?
Rankings? Marks? Difficulty of subject?
The PERFORMANCE OF THE COURSE CANDIDATURE is the main factor that influences scaling.

If the candidature of a course is high, meaning that if most of the marks are high and are at the upper end of the scale, then the marks in the course would be scaled positively.

If the candidature of a course is low, meaning that if most of the marks are low and are at the lower end of the scale, then the marks in the course would be scaled negatively.

In other words, the better the results of the cohort then the better it would scale.

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
What about difficulty of the subject?
Lets say there's two kids- marks are same as each other's in english, modern history.....
kid A gets 90 in general maths, kid B gets 90 in 2u maths,
assuming both kids are placed in top 10% of state, why would B get a higher uai than A?

A l

HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
What about difficulty of the subject?
Lets say there's two kids- marks are same as each other's in english, modern history.....
kid A gets 90 in general maths, kid B gets 90 in 2u maths,
assuming both kids are placed in top 10% of state, why would B get a higher uai than A?
Difficulty is not a direct consideration in the scaling process.
The reason that a raw mark of 90 in Mathematics 2 unit is better than a mark of 90 in General Mathematics is because Mathematics 2 unit scales better than General Mathematics and also, General Mathematics is often capped.
There is not much information and it is beyond my understanding and knowledge in how the scaling of a course is determined algorithmically and numerically. Perhaps, Lazarus (James King), the administrator of this site could tell you.

To determine the scaled mean and standard deviation of a course, which I guess also suggests the nature of the scaling for a particular course, the overall academic performance of students in some of their other courses is measured and taken into consideration. For extension courses, the performance of these extension students in the corresponding 2 unit course is considered in the scaling algorithm. For the case of Mathematics Extension 2, the performance of these Extension 2 students in the Mathematics Extension 1 course is also considered.

The UAC Technical Committee on Scaling has not revealed a lot of specific information about scaling, especially any actual calculations in the scaling process. The information provided by them anyway is often difficult to comprehend for most people. Perhaps this part should be best left alone for the moment.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Are raw marks scaled? and how? do selective schools get better marks?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
Yes raw examination marks are scaled... they're scaled accroding to the state performance...

do selective schools get better marks?... ummm No!...

what school u go to only plays a role in determining ur internal school assessment marks.... it's not like saying "oh i go to sydney boys highshcool.. or i go to james ruse.. "that will autmatcally get u high marks... the only part ur school plays is in the difficulty of their exams and how hard/easy they mark...

usually slecetive/private schools have harder exams... and regularly they mark u accordingly to how u'll be marked in the HSC examinations... however, other schools mark relatively easy and provide their students with easy exams/assessment tasks... therefore it's most likely they won't achieve as high in the external... (i'm generalising here)... however ur school has nothing to do with how ur external raw marks get scaled...

ur school could be ranked 618th and u could still achieve 100 as ur external examination mark...

HSC
physician said:
usually slecetive/private schools have harder exams... and regularly they mark u accordingly to how u'll be marked in the HSC examinations... however, other schools mark relatively easy and provide their students with easy exams/assessment tasks... therefore it's most likely they won't achieve as high in the external... (i'm generalising here)... however ur school has nothing to do with how ur external raw marks get scaled...
i agree, my maths teacher was talking about how setting harder exams now will help us gear up for the final exam.

helper

HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
Raw marks are moderated rather than scaled as done in the UAI.

This means the mean and standard deviation of the assessment marks are shifted to the same pattern as the exam marks in the HSC.

It is then added to your exam mark and they are scaled as a single mark to obtain your UAI

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
helper said:
Raw marks are moderated rather than scaled as done in the UAI.

This means the mean and standard deviation of the assessment marks are shifted to the same pattern as the exam marks in the HSC.

It is then added to your exam mark and they are scaled as a single mark to obtain your UAI
A technical correction:
Raw internal assessment marks are moderated, whereas the COMBINED raw mark (i.e. average of initial moderated assessment mark and raw examination mark, also called raw HSC mark) is used for scaling and UAI.
Your raw marks are scaled individually within each course and are then aggregrated or added together. Your ranking in your aggregrated marks determines your UAI.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
How are internal assessment (eg. trials) marks scaled? According to rank or difficulty?
Who moderates them- your school or Board of studies?

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
How are internal assessment (eg. trials) marks scaled? According to rank or difficulty?
You need to check the school for this, they may scale them all to a common mean, align them or leave them as raw.

Who moderates them- your school or Board of studies?
The Board moderates them after your schools exam results are done.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
off the topic...
is there a such thing as scaling down??

and why's that people see physics as a 'scaled up course'. What does physics have that say drama hasn't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)