What goes in a drama essay??? (1 Viewer)

Kyroth***

HSC
What on Earth goes into a drama essay? I've never done one before! All our assessments up to this point have been practical, or interviews. I have no idea what to put in an essay!
My texts are Gary's House, 7 Stages of Grieving, Speed-the-Plow, and Our Town. ANY help, even not related to the texts, would be SO MUCH appreciated!!!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
um, i dont know if this will help because i've only ever done one drama essay, but i think you're supposed to talk about the themes and stuff of the texts like in english, only u also have to talk about the dramatic techniques that are employed (eg surrealism, dramatic irony, symbolism) to higlight those themes (i think u can also refer to the actions of the characters, whether they stand for any particular issueor whatever) and refer to your practical experiences with the text eg "we explored bla bla's use of symbolic objects by staging scene two and learnt bla bla bla because bla bla bla". i think thats what you do. by all means somebody correct me if i'm wrong. but hope its helpful anyway :D

esieff

How can you not have done a Drama essay before?? I mean, it's not your fault - it's the system. But that seems completely illogical that your school/teachers would not give you any practise at written responses considering their importance in your final mark. Our teacher has been a nazi about essay-writing, so I can give you a bit of info. In structure and form they are little different from your average English essay. But, unlike the verbal masturbation that English requires, Drama essays are more straightforward and straight-to-the-point. Don't go fluffing around just for the sake of it.

Sometimes the question will give you a specific layer to focus on, otherwise work through the layers of the text, starting with the playwrights and their context. Talk about the overriding dramatic conventions in use. Then move onto the themes and issues. Then how they are expressed and explored by way of dramatic and theatrical techniques. Try to avoid simply retelling the storyline of the play AT ALL COSTS.

If the question is based around a quote, ensure that you continue to use the precise words from the quote over and over to ensure and make it obvious that you are answering the question. If there is no quote, make sure to repeatedly use the terms and phrases of the question itself. Because at the end of the day, the vast majority of drama essays have EXACTLY THE SAME CONTENT (hence why they are typically simple to pre-prepare) - but you need to shape this content to the direction given by the question.

And finally, back up everything you can with quotes of dialogue, quotes of stage directions, quotes of the playwrights, quotes of theorists, or quotes you've made up because you cbf learning anything cause you're a lazy-ass thespian.

Hope that helps. :)

Estelle

our teacher was really slack with theory as well and we've only written about 2 drama essays before and they were both for exams (1/2 yearly and trial), so i would also appriciate any help that anyone can give on how to write drama essays, because our teacher never told us anything, she just expected us to know how to do it grrrr.

bre

Estelle said:
our teacher was really slack with theory as well and we've only written about 2 drama essays before and they were both for exams (1/2 yearly and trial), so i would also appriciate any help that anyone can give on how to write drama essays, because our teacher never told us anything, she just expected us to know how to do it grrrr.
same here.

Kyroth***

HSC
Thanks hotice11, that was really helpful. Cosmic Doris, too. :)

Our teacher doesn't exactly expect us to know it, but focuses far more on the practical. But he was at Study Night last night, and was really good there. Though I pity those in my class who couldn't be bothered to show up! (He does so much out of school stuff for us! He was at school til 2am for 3 days before the IP was due!)

jaihson

HSC
Hey what's all this experiential learning stuff about? We never did anything on that and have never included it in the essays we've done. Are we supposed to include it?

Also thanks for the stuff on the structure, but I was wondering how you actually structure the 'paragraphs', as in is it the same as in an english essay?

Thank You :D

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Can't say I'm an expert on the subject, but here's my 2 cents.

I like to think Drama essays are just like English essays, but they require a bit more quoting, deep analysis of the text..etcetc.

As for formatting the actual essay...this is what I did.

Intro: include texts, authors, dates, what you're going to say (pretty much identical to an english essay).
Each text should have it's own body paragraph OR if it's a compare and contrast questions...then you might want to put each 'issue' or common facet in a body paragraph. I know ppl who do it the latter way and get away with it, I was advised against it so I didn't use it.

So when I say each text should have it's para...you've still got to organise your information. make your point, then move onto the next...unless you need to compare. Make the links strong, make your knowledge of the text strong. Refer to workshopping activities in class, make them up if you didn't do any. Refer to stage productions of the text you've seen. If you're teacher was slack and didn't take you to see any, refer to workshop activities in class...don't make up a production, you'll get caught out. Quote quote quote. But make sure you refer to the quotes and they're highly relevant. Don't put them in there for absolutely no reason.

I'm not really comfortable with sharing an entire essay...like I know we're honest yah da yah da yah...but there are ppl that plagerise...and I don't like it.
So I dug up this practice essay of mine...it was deemed a bit wishy washy by my teacher...I'm only sharing the intro for what it's worth.
Incl. is the question:

In your answer you will be assessed on how well you:
-Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of drama and theatre relevant to the question.
-Express your point of view and use appropriate supporting evidence.
-Present a sustained, logical and well-structured answer to the question.

Question 1 (2001 HSC) [20 Marks]

How does the Australian drama you have studied use particular forms and conventions to explore significant experiences of living in this country?

In your answer you should refer to AT LEAST TWO texts set for the topic you have studied.

Contemporary Australian Theatre (CAT) has consistently strived to develop new and diverse theatre forms, conventions and styles, ultimately to maintain a close relationship with the ever-changing nature of Australian society. CAT promotes a close relationship with cultural, political and social issues of Australia thus often representing the significant experiences of living in this vast land, such as unemployment, multiculturalism, homosexuality, drought, financial struggles and the notion of the ‘Aussie Battler’. Following the introduction of these new and differing issues to society, new forms and conventions were explored and experimented with as there was the sentiment that old forms and conventions were unable to ‘deal with the new realities’ (Professor John McCallum, UNSW). CAT explores these issues through transformational acting, epic theatre, realism, symbolism (primarily dealing with visual metaphors) and poor theatre. Australian theatre moved away from its English heritage (highly stylised, conservative theatre) and began to experiment with differing forms of expression such as street theatre. The two texts ‘Gary’s House’ (GH) written by Debra Oswald and Suzanne Spunner’s ‘Running up a Dress’ (RUAD) are no exceptions providing contemporary audiences with an array of issues all explored through a variety of conventions and forms.

You might of noticed that I integrated a quote there from prof. john mccallum...don't do it with text from a play, indent it like you would in english. the reason why i integrated it was because it would've looked shit and weird if it was indented.

Enjoy. Good luck guys. you'll be fine.

supergirl

HSC
jaihson said:
Hey what's all this experiential learning stuff about? We never did anything on that and have never included it in the essays we've done. Are we supposed to include it?

Also thanks for the stuff on the structure, but I was wondering how you actually structure the 'paragraphs', as in is it the same as in an english essay?

Thank You :D
experiential learning is just performance. when you performed parts of the plays in class, that is experiential learning.

Gummy_bear

HSC
This is sort of the structure, im not sure where i got it from:

HOW TO WRITE A DRAMA ESSAY
Introduction
Some form of statement which relates to the topic ’ get the message across clearly
Introduce the plays, say they are whatever the topic asks them to be
Outline the main points of the argument
Style, dramatic form and issues (Australian theatre is looking for a form)
You can abbreviate titles.
Body
Point or play at a time ’ doesn!t matter
TOPIC SENTENCE ALWAYS
Elaborate your points ’ quotes and examples from the texts or experience
At the end, link back to the question or argument
Line b/w paragraphs
Think of a high impact quote for conclusion BANG
Make sure everything is completely understandable and totally obvious
Conclusion
Don!t introduce any new points
Reiterate your argument

Also, you have to talk about how your performances have shown different things. use performances as examples.

peachy_keen

HSC
does anyone know if u have to write as though the marker hasn't read the plays?
well hopefully they have..but is that what we r meant to do anyway?

Syria

HSC
no...u shouldnt explain the story....u should answer the question. you can refer to particular incidents in the story and explain them using them as evidence to support ur agument but the stronger responses do not retell the story.

peachy_keen

HSC
yeh i get that but i mean do you say for example...blah blah Emma, the mother of Olive or is that just stating the obvious and it should just be blah blah Emma blah
does that make sense?

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
This is my two cents, as late as they are...

Just argue guys. Most questions in drama (well, good questions) will make you argue a certain perspective. Take that argument and use the evidence in the play to back it up. I like to think drama essays are more like History essays, because of the opinion and the arguments, but that's just a minor point, an essay is an essay... Argue and back up your responses, that's all you can do!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)