What goes into the UAI? (1 Viewer)

sergetheserb

HSC
I'm not sure if many people have asked this, but im going to ask it anyway lol. What exactly goes into your UAI mark? Do the internal assesments we do during the year go towards anything?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
no, the reason why you do internal assessments is just to give you a rank. It all depends on how well you and youre peers do in the external exam.
Your best 10 units count, including 2 units of english. And remember, UAI is a rank, not a mark :)

cs01001

HSC
Can you exaplin why helping peers is a good thing?

zahmad

HSC
Can somebody explain to me how the UAI works?....and what do universtities require specifically?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i think its something to do with the scaling. If everyone in your school does well in the externals they will scale you up.
Plus, if youre ranked in the middle, you obviously want someone to do well in their exam in order to give you a good mark.

zahmad said:
Can somebody explain to me how the UAI works?....and what do universtities require specifically?
http://www.uac.edu.au/mya/admin/uai.html
read there...should answer your question.
what do you mean what do universities require specifically?

Last edited:

jebemti

HSC
what are the external exams ?? is that just the hsc or the trails aswell?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Here is a flowchart outlining the processes involved in obtaining your UAI and HSC.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/flowchart.pdf

Basically your HSC is divided into 2 parts. The external HSC exam mark and the internal assessment mark.

The HSC mark is simply the average of the 2.

To answer why after all your assessments it is a good idea to help your peers is because to determine your internal assessment mark, it is taken from the pool of the HSC exam marks that are the result of everyone in your school doing the HSC exam.

If you were ranked 1st, the highest HSC exam mark in your subject will become your moderated assessment mark. If you were ranked 5th, your HSC assessment mark will be approximately the 5th highest HSC exam mark. etc.

This means that the better everyone in your school does, will result in a pool of marks that are high. And these high marks will be distributed as your moderated assessment mark. This probably sounds a bit confusing which is why you should read this thread first.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...na/6642/explanation-hsc-marks-moderating.html

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
zahmad said:
Universities require a UAI at or above the cutoff for the course you are applying for. The cutoffs are recalculated each year and you won't know what they are until offers are released. As an indication of what the new cutoff may be - no guarantees - last year's cutoffs are available in the UAC guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)