what grade is 'bottomline' in comlaw to get into IBs (1 Viewer)

BoganBoy

HSC
hi guys im a second year actuarial study/law student at macquarie. Facing internship applications in the near future im pretty worried.

currently my gpa/WAM is around a Cr average because law has been dragging it down a lot. Im thinking whether to swtich from law to finance so that i can bump it up to D average in time for internship/grad application. i want to know whether its better to have a Cr average in acstlaw or D average in acst/finance when it comes to IB application.

im interested in getting into trading, and not exactly the Ib side of things so im wondering if that makes my law degree redundant.

heard stories about comlaw students being first pick for IBs so im a bit worried if dropping law will hurt my chance in anyway.

thanks for any thoughts

BB

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Selection Criteria for IB positions isn't what it used to be, although I still think you're going to find extremely difficult to get into trading without at least a D average, and more in addition to your grades, to compete in such a high demand field.

What do you do with your time outside of uni? Why do you want to get into IB?

Like I said, its no longer a case of minimum HD average just to be considered anymore, but you still have to have a lot behind you.
I'd PM Newbie or mr_shittles and seek their opinions.

Last edited:

BoganBoy

HSC
thanks for your reply.

yeah i understand that to have any chance of getting into trading i need a D average at least. but how do those companies distinguish students with different major? for example i think actuarial studies is probably harder than straight finance so you'd expect students will have lower wam/gpa if he's studying acst.

if law adds nothing towards a trading job then i might as wel just dtich it, otherwise its just going to drag down my gpa more

BB

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Optiver need a D average, the others dont state what they need. Gain experience, participate in sport, join a society related to trading. There are many other ways, however i think CR average is absolute minimum without connections.

Finance is essentially useless for trading. Finance doesn't teach you much quant skills nor does it really 'sharpen' your mind like an actuarial/maths/eng degree will. I spoke to a grad trader the other day, and there interview has a fair few puzzle questions. They don't mind if you dont know much about the markets, as they teach all that. You need to be quick and have logic.

Im quite sure they will realise the difference between acst and finance.

I doubt you will see that many comlaw on the trading floor.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
velox said:
Optiver need a D average, the others dont state what they need. Gain experience, participate in sport, join a society related to trading. There are many other ways, however i think CR average is absolute minimum without connections.

Finance is essentially useless for trading. Finance doesn't teach you much quant skills nor does it really 'sharpen' your mind like an actuarial/maths/eng degree will. I spoke to a grad trader the other day, and there interview has a fair few puzzle questions. They don't mind if you dont know much about the markets, as they teach all that. You need to be quick and have logic.

Im quite sure they will realise the difference between acst and finance.

I doubt you will see that many comlaw on the trading floor.
Thanks for that post,

I am looking at the following courses:
B.Comm + B.Sc Mathematics (Major Stat)
or
B.Sc Actuarial + B.Sc Statistics

I recently saw an advertisment for a Diploma of Share Trading and Investment (http://www.seeklearning.com.au/share-trading-course/diploma-of-share-trading-and-investment.asp) would this be something benifical I could do in between the summer holidays from year 12 to 1st year uni?

danielvh

HSC
Studentleader said:
Thanks for that post,

I am looking at the following courses:
B.Comm + B.Sc Mathematics (Major Stat)
or
B.Sc Actuarial + B.Sc Statistics

I recently saw an advertisment for a Diploma of Share Trading and Investment (http://www.seeklearning.com.au/share-trading-course/diploma-of-share-trading-and-investment.asp) would this be something benifical I could do in between the summer holidays from year 12 to 1st year uni?
No, it'd be pretty pointless to do with the goal of getting into IB. The only benefit it would have is to say "I'm interested in the industry". Do that with research and taking relevant uni courses rather.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
danielvh said:
No, it'd be pretty pointless to do with the goal of getting into IB. The only benefit it would have is to say "I'm interested in the industry". Do that with research and taking relevant uni courses rather.
Thought so, thanks

In regards to OP, D-HD

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)