What grade should I be at? (1 Viewer)

redhead69

HSC
I was going to make a thread asking a very similar question. In year 10 now and doing subject choices. My music teachers keep saying that theory wise I should do music 2 but need t6 improve in prac. The thing is, I've been playing for just under a year and am at grade 5. If everything else that has been said here is true, could someone explain something?

champo14

HSC
Although grades are a good measure, nothing beats experience playing-wise. Someone who has been playing iin ensembles for years will definitely have the edge over someone who has only been playing for a couple of years, no matter how much they practise.

Music 2, I would say as a minimum, would need to be of high AMEB grade 6 standard (not one of those people who just scrape through). I also find that, try as they may, grades only tend to measure technical capabilities, which is only one of the criteria in Music 2 performance, and things like Style, Expression, Interpretation, Ensemble playing all matter equally.

*end rant*

champo14

HSC
Although grades are a good measure, nothing beats experience playing-wise. Someone who has been playing iin ensembles for years will definitely have the edge over someone who has only been playing for a couple of years, no matter how much they practise.

Music 2, I would say as a minimum, would need to be of high AMEB grade 6 standard (not one of those people who just scrape through). I also find that, try as they may, grades only tend to measure technical capabilities, which is only one of the criteria in Music 2 performance, and things like Style, Expression, Interpretation, Ensemble playing all matter equally.

*end rant*

hoopsy

HSC
i am doing my HSC now and doing music 1 (caus they didnt offer music 2 :mad1:) but anywho, i would recomend that you are at least fairly proficient at your instrument, talking to my teacher who has done HSC marking he says that is it ALOT easier to get good marks with a comlicated piece rather than just a run of the mill piece.

it really depends on what level you want to get, personaly i am aiming for band 6 caus this subject gets scaled really badly, i know at the mo i am consistently scoring 19/20 (our teachers NEVER give full marks after you hit year 11), but some of the people in my class who havnt been doing music for to long are only getting 14/20 or 12/20...

so yeah, it really depends on what band you want to get

koreafantasy

HSC
At your level, I wouldn't be doing music 2, as the studying you will do requires you to read music sufficiently, as well as have good aural skills. Even at amus piano, I find it challenging enough. You'll probably have a blast in music 1 though, its so much more casual and most of the people doing it are at your level or worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)