What happens if you fail an elective? (1 Viewer)

Peartie

HSC
yes, if u fail ur GPA gets affected

to go on exchange:

(for 6 month/year exchanges)

you apply online (have to include things like a letter why you want to go on exchange and how you will portray MQ over there, a personal reference and an academic reference from the uni - ie a tutor etc). On this application you also need to list your preferences for universities and then 3ish subjects at each uni that you THINK you might like doing - these can change completley!

Then they invite you in for an interview where they basically ask you questions from the application form you sent in.

Then you get accepted

attend a couple of meetings....get a cheque

go overseas

have to write an article about it for a newsletter

come home, if you have passed 75% of the subjects you attempted OS then you get a 'P' at MQ and your GPA remains unchanged - no matter how well u did u wont get a D, HD, C....its only F or P and ur GPA only changes if u fail subjects.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Peartie said:
yes, if u fail ur GPA gets affected

to go on exchange:

(for 6 month/year exchanges)

you apply online (have to include things like a letter why you want to go on exchange and how you will portray MQ over there, a personal reference and an academic reference from the uni - ie a tutor etc). On this application you also need to list your preferences for universities and then 3ish subjects at each uni that you THINK you might like doing - these can change completley!

Then they invite you in for an interview where they basically ask you questions from the application form you sent in.

Then you get accepted

attend a couple of meetings....get a cheque

go overseas

have to write an article about it for a newsletter

come home, if you have passed 75% of the subjects you attempted OS then you get a 'P' at MQ and your GPA remains unchanged - no matter how well u did u wont get a D, HD, C....its only F or P and ur GPA only changes if u fail subjects.
wow i didn't know that 75% rule... haha that would have been handy to know ... i thought it was individual subjects p, p p etc thats what it says on my thingo.. well not P i think it says NS or something weird like that

my degree is 4 years, ive already spread it over to 5..a nd i only went on exchange once, unfortunately. i would love love love to go again!

Oh and what did you tell your tutor? Just tell her the truth and say unfortunately i don't.. *do sad face* does that mean i fail the whole course? :(

they will feel sorry for you... why don't u ask all the cul100 pple... im sure asy's done it and maybe glitterfairy too... hrrmm

lol

X

xeuyrawp

iamsickofyear12 said:
Why would you do it again if you passed. That makes no sense.
ACST200: Mathematics of Finance

Credit Points:4 Contact Hours:5 When Offered: D1 - Day; Offered in the first half-year Staff Contact: Actuarial Staff Prerequisites: ACST101(Cr) and (MATH133(P) or MATH136(P)(Pre 2008)) and GPA of 2.50

Credit Points:4 Contact Hours:5 When Offered: D1 - Day; Offered in the first half-year Staff Contact: Actuarial Staff Prerequisites: ACST101(Cr) and (MATH133(P) or MATH136(P)(Pre 2008)) and GPA of 2.50

Etc. Rather common.

Any other dumb questions?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Ok... it makes no sense unless you need higher to qualify for another subject.

What I was trying to point out was it makes no sense to do it again just to improve your GPA.

X

xeuyrawp

iamsickofyear12 said:
Ok... it makes no sense unless you need higher to qualify for another subject.
I can think of lots of other reasons. For example, if a student wants to show prospective employees that they can do well in that required area; if students were needing it for, eg, doing subsequent study in postgrad or qualifications; if students generally feel disappointed and want to know that they can pass the unit; etc etc.

Luke! said:
Yeah. Why are you such a loser?
Is it be secks tiem meow?

Peartie

HSC
clairegirl said:
wow i didn't know that 75% rule... haha that would have been handy to know ... i thought it was individual subjects p, p p etc thats what it says on my thingo.. well not P i think it says NS or something weird like that
I think in the host uni u either get a (basically) competent or not competent grade....if u do 4 subjects OS you need to get at least 3 competents...least thats what it sounds like I have to do

but MQ International says no one has actually failed an exchange....so thats one good thing i think...i hope im not the first

iamsickofyear12

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I can think of lots of other reasons. For example, if a student wants to show prospective employees that they can do well in that required area; if students were needing it for, eg, doing subsequent study in postgrad or qualifications; if students generally feel disappointed and want to know that they can pass the unit; etc etc.

Is it be secks tiem meow?
I don't think doing better the second time proves anything to prospective employers. You would expect someone to to much better the second time just because of the fact that it was their second time.

I would understand doing a subject again if you failed for those other reasons, but not if you pass.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yeh its really hard to fail ... i topped 2 classes out of three while i was overseas... with NO study at all :S:S and partying and going out excessively.

Where are u going?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)