What happens in the first few weeks/months at uni? (1 Viewer)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Hey folks,

Okay I have been wondering for a while, what happens when you begin uni for the first time ever in your whole life? Is it like year 7 and the first years get split into groups and you get to know each other etc etc? What happens at your first lecture or tutorial? Do you just sit there and hope some lovely person will come and sit next to you and you will instantly be befriended? Do you just aimlessly sit there for the first few months, like a nigel, whom no body talks to? Do you even talk in lectures? Like I seriously have no idea so I would love it if you guys could tell me what happened when you first started uni, I think it's interesting. Any scary, weird experiences?

Thanks,
Ciao
Mani
:)

Last edited:

kartman

HSC
get involved in some orientation camps if your uni runs those kinda things so you get to meet people before uni officially starts.

On my first few days of uni I just remember turning up to lectures and you meeting people and stuff. IF you are a generally friendly kinda person you will make friends quickly since everyone is in the same boat.

and you are more likely to make friends in tutes/labs etc where its much smaller just like in school unlike lectures

SweetSeasons

HSC
The first few months of uni are a let down.. you realise how different every one is from you and how much you don't really like any one.. then a few ppl grow on you and they become ur group of friends.. Then uni is ok

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
its not VERY hard 2 make friends at uni coz every1's in the same boat during the first few weeks.....every1 wants 2 make new friends, so it shudn't be very hard.. :)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
If you talk during lectures, you either piss a lot of people off or you get kicked out.
Ohhh okay, well that makes sense lol.

lectures have about 200+ people in them
200 people!!! OMG!!! Jeez, that's intermidating.

Like I'm really looking forward to it (that's if i get into uni, *prays*) I like meeting new people :)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Unlike Sweetseasons I was let down by how similar everyone was -(white arts/law from burbs)
If you're the type who feels uneasy about loud, horrific and thoroughly public games such as BOXERS OR BRIEFS!? or EAT TILL YOU BARF! or even EVERYONE GET NAKED! (my fav), tutes are for you. It takes a while but the delicate politics of the humble tute is great fun, where people are instantly drawn into camps and help out the faction when they flounder. You also have much more to talk about (readings), you're mostly judged on merit and the relationships are shallow and inpersonal.

HSC
manifestation said:
Ohhh okay, well that makes sense lol.

200 people!!! OMG!!! Jeez, that's intermidating.

Like I'm really looking forward to it (that's if i get into uni, *prays*) I like meeting new people :)
Try 500+.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Capitalist Pig said:
Try 500+.
OMG!!! 500!!! That's like half of my high school!!!

Miss gtr said:
hope we dont have to go to tutes and sit in a circle and say your name, where your from etc.
I totally agree, if we have to do that stuff I will be rolling on the ground laughing cause it is just so funny. We had to do it for this leadership 'young women' thing and omg I couldn't stop giggling cause it was just soooooooooooo funny, and the girl next to me wouldn't stop introducing herself!!! Those things are just hilarious!

So what happens during orientation?

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Uni really isn't all that hard to make friends; you randomly talk to people, if they're nice you pal up, if not then you move on.
I found it a lot easier in labs though, 3 hours of standing around pretending to do experiments and trading smart arse comments about your biology demonstrator provides a great medium for bonding.
And others have said, you usually end up talking to whoever is next to you in your tutes.

The great thing about uni is that it doesn't matter who you are, where you're from, whatever, you can always make friends at uni, no matter how sucky school might have been for you.
And because uni isn't like school in that we don't have "lunch" and stuff, you might have totally different breaks to a few friends, so you find some other people to talk to. You'll soon end up with loooooooooooots of friends.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
miss_gtr said:
Gee, sounds like highschool all over again.
I know, i agree!! Hahahahahah!

hipsta_jess said:
uni isn't like school in that we don't have "lunch" and stuff, you might have totally different breaks to a few friends, so you find some other people to talk to.
I know i find that so weird, cause in high school you're so use to lunch and all your mates being together at the same time...

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
depends on your course too. Like med for example has all it's own classes and everyone is in the same lecture theatre all the time

so if you don't like anyone, you're screwed

kartman

HSC
Bob.J said:
depends on your course too. Like med for example has all it's own classes and everyone is in the same lecture theatre all the time

so if you don't like anyone, you're screwed

But everyone who does Med are nice friendly nerds :)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
ember said:
I think people have different experiences of making friends at uni
Yeah, like my friends who go to uni, one goes to UWS and said people use you at uni and you don't really make any close friends. And my other friend who goes to UTS said at uni you make much closer friends and because you tend to spend more time together and you share the same interests and course etc.

I don't know if that's cause UTS is a more closer student community or maybe she's just nice...but I'm sure it's diff at each uni...or is orientation and the first semester experiences pretty much the same at each uni???

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
manifestation said:
Yeah, like my friends who go to uni, one goes to UWS and said people use you at uni and you don't really make any close friends.
Oh God, why did you say that for? Read threads in this forum, and you know saying things like that is a bad idea. :(

Hopefully to appease what will happen...

No uni has people who just use you as much as they have people who are genuine in their friendship. Maybe your friend was being using as much as she was being used?

Anyway don't make judgements based on the university's name, especially on this forum, bad things tend to happen. :(

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Capitalist Pig said:
Try 500+.
i don't think i could cope with that!! i'm at UNE so its a pretty small uni but my biggest subject was probably about 130 people max, and not all those came to the lectures.. and that's for a 1st year subject too (maths) which about 8 different courses had as a prereq.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
poloktim said:
Oh God, why did you say that for? Read threads in this forum, and you know saying things like that is a bad idea. :(
Hopefully to appease what will happen...
don't make judgements based on the university's name, especially on this forum, bad things tend to happen. :(
I know, that's not my opinion just hers, i mean i could have a totally different experience if i go to UWS and make lots of genuine friends, or make NONE at all lol. It could be the same at another uni also, etc. But that's just some opinions and experiences my mates i have told me.

Last edited:

CoFFee BreAk

HSC
All this time, I've been searching for this kind of thread. But I guess I found it a bit late. Anyway, just can't wait 'til February! I'm really looking forward to meet new ppl of different personalities and backgrounds.

But the groupie thing kinda put my hopes down a bit. I'm not an Aussie, but I've been there before, and the fact that I got myself deeply connected to every single aspect of the country is the ultimate factor that drives me to pursue my study there. Well, I'm easygoing, and I'm not the type of person who only wanna hang out with a particular group (I often heard a lot of issues like this). I don't see colors, I don't see nationality. I just see people. So does that mean there's a possibility I could blend in?

I know this question may sound stupid or insane to you all, but I need someone to reassure me that everything's gonna be nicely set if I'm open to everyone. This nervous breakdown has been starting to get a hold of me, but I'm so excited at the same time. I can't wait to go to uni! :D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Uni really isn't all that hard to make friends; you randomly talk to people, if they're nice you pal up, if not then you move on.
I found it a lot easier in labs though, 3 hours of standing around pretending to do experiments and trading smart arse comments about your biology demonstrator provides a great medium for bonding.
And others have said, you usually end up talking to whoever is next to you in your tutes.

The great thing about uni is that it doesn't matter who you are, where you're from, whatever, you can always make friends at uni, no matter how sucky school might have been for you.
And because uni isn't like school in that we don't have "lunch" and stuff, you might have totally different breaks to a few friends, so you find some other people to talk to. You'll soon end up with loooooooooooots of friends.
My group from second semester we tended just to always go to a particular place and it was pretty much guaranteed at least a couple of members of it were there at any given time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)