What hasn't been in recent physics HSCs???? (1 Viewer)

jesien

Can everyone please post up any topics that havn't been asked in recent HSC exams.

It would be a great help to many students.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
dilation calculations weren't in it last year, so i'd watch for one of them this year

香港!

HSC
maths questions which aren't just plug-in numbers into formulas...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The dotpoint in Space about the rocket scientists hasn't been in any of them yet.

They asked about Einstein in 2003, and probably a few others I can't remember, so I'd say there's a decent chance of it being put in.

Edit: Should I go through every exam paper and the syllabus and post a complete list of un-asked about dotpoints?

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
The dotpoint in Space about the rocket scientists hasn't been in any of them yet.

They asked about Einstein in 2003, and probably a few others I can't remember, so I'd say there's a decent chance of it being put in.

Edit: Should I go through every exam paper and the syllabus and post a complete list of un-asked about dotpoints?
up to you

but remember... the dot points are copyright material as well

so all your good work could be deleted again

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Ok, this is ignoring the multiple choice questions, there's no use trying to predict them anyway.

Obviously the exam paper will have content that was also in the previous 4 exams; there's pretty much always going to be projectile motion question, a question on a motor, a question on transformers... etc.

But if the exam writers want to use the parts of the syllabus that did not prominently feature in the last 4 exams, you could expect questions on:

SPACE:

- Present info on the rocket scientists

- Comparing low earth and geostationary orbits

- Orbital decay

- Safe re-entry into atmosphere and landing, incl. angle of re-entry.

- Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, and the Slingshot Effect.

- Implications of Relativity on Space Travel (although relativity of its own right has been very thoroughly examined, especially the MM experiment)

- Einstein's Thought Experiments, relationship between thought and reality, and relationship between theory and evidence. (maybe)

MOTORS & GENERATORS

- Torque; Fd or BiancosX (neither have been touched on; force between parallel current carrying wires has come up a lot, however)

- Application of motor effect to Galvanometer and Loudspeaker

- Faraday's Law, concept of magnetic flux density (maybe)

- Application of eddy currents to electromagnetic breaking (Lenz' law in general has been thoroughly examined, and also they've asked about cooktops once)

- Comparison between generators and motors; AC and DC (maybe)

- First hand investigation to demonstrate production of AC

- Investigation to model transformers and how secondary voltage is produced (hasn't been touched yet)

- vp/vs = np/ns problems

- Discuss how eddy currents in transformers are overcome

- Impact of transformers on society (has only been asked indirectly - has not had a full 8 marker dedicated to it with direct syllabus quotation in the question)

- Analyse energy transfers/transformations; conversion of electrical energy into useful forms in home and industry (maybe...)

IDEAS TO IMPLEMENTATIONS

- Cathode Ray Tube Experiments (cathode rays in general have barely been touched, the exam writers favoured p-e effect, semiconductors and superconductors)

- The role of components in a TV (electrodes, plates/coils, fluoro screen)

- How forces (E or B) are used to manipulate stream of charbed particles (maybe)

- Hertz' Experiment (there is 3 dotpoints on this and it hasn't been touched) and also the 1st hand investigation to produce/receive radio waves

- Planck's Hypothesis - Quantisation (there has been a question directly on Einstein's contribution, but not Planck's hypothesis)

- The Einstein/Planck's differing views mini-essay has not come up yet...

- Discussing how shortcomings in old technology lead to the development of transistor thru increased knowledge of properties (maybe)

- Electrons in solids being shared between atoms, moving freely (maybe)

- Use of germanium because we didn't know how to extract better stuff (maybe)

- Doping, differences between p and n type semiconductors (all these maybe's are because semiconductors themselves have been frequently asked about, but it's just these 3 or 4 dotpoints have not been DIRECTLY asked about, although aspects of them would have been mentioned in answering the other questions, since several of them were of a high mark value)

- Impact of transistors on society... (rama_v was correct... They've done impact of generators, transformers, superconductors on society, but not transistors yet)

- Describe conduction as free movement of electrons

- Identify that resistance is scattering of electrons by lattice

- Discuss BCS theory (has indirectly come up already)

- Process info to identify the metals, alloys, compounts used as superconductors (superconductors have also been frequently asked about, but once again there's a few dotpoints that weren't DIRECTLY examined)

- Use of superconductors in transport and power generation/distribution has only come up once, I think it was a 2, 3 or 4 mark question. Because there's 3 dotpoints on it, I'd say there's some chance it'll come up again.

rama_v

HSC
Great stuff

Captain Gh3y said:
Ok, this is ignoring the multiple choice questions, there's no use trying to predict them anyway.

Obviously the exam paper will have content that was also in the previous 4 exams; there's pretty much always going to be projectile motion question, a question on a motor, a question on transformers... etc.

But if the exam writers want to use the parts of the syllabus that did not prominently feature in the last 4 exams, you could expect questions on:

SPACE:

- Present info on the rocket scientists

- Comparing low earth and geostationary orbits

- Orbital decay

- Safe re-entry into atmosphere and landing, incl. angle of re-entry.

- Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, and the Slingshot Effect.

- Implications of Relativity on Space Travel (although relativity of its own right has been very thoroughly examined, especially the MM experiment)

- Einstein's Thought Experiments, relationship between thought and reality, and relationship between theory and evidence. (maybe)

MOTORS & GENERATORS

- Torque; Fd or BiancosX (neither have been touched on; force between parallel current carrying wires has come up a lot, however)

- Application of motor effect to Galvanometer and Loudspeaker

- Faraday's Law, concept of magnetic flux density (maybe)

- Application of eddy currents to electromagnetic breaking (Lenz' law in general has been thoroughly examined, and also they've asked about cooktops once)

- Comparison between generators and motors; AC and DC (maybe)

- First hand investigation to demonstrate production of AC

- Investigation to model transformers and how secondary voltage is produced (hasn't been touched yet)

- vp/vs = np/ns problems

- Discuss how eddy currents in transformers are overcome

- Impact of transformers on society (has only been asked indirectly - has not had a full 8 marker dedicated to it with direct syllabus quotation in the question)

- Analyse energy transfers/transformations; conversion of electrical energy into useful forms in home and industry (maybe...)

IDEAS TO IMPLEMENTATIONS

- Cathode Ray Tube Experiments (cathode rays in general have barely been touched, the exam writers favoured p-e effect, semiconductors and superconductors)

- The role of components in a TV (electrodes, plates/coils, fluoro screen)

- How forces (E or B) are used to manipulate stream of charbed particles (maybe)

- Hertz' Experiment (there is 3 dotpoints on this and it hasn't been touched) and also the 1st hand investigation to produce/receive radio waves

- Planck's Hypothesis - Quantisation (there has been a question directly on Einstein's contribution, but not Planck's hypothesis)

- The Einstein/Planck's differing views mini-essay has not come up yet...

- Discussing how shortcomings in old technology lead to the development of transistor thru increased knowledge of properties (maybe)

- Electrons in solids being shared between atoms, moving freely (maybe)

- Use of germanium because we didn't know how to extract better stuff (maybe)

- Doping, differences between p and n type semiconductors (all these maybe's are because semiconductors themselves have been frequently asked about, but it's just these 3 or 4 dotpoints have not been DIRECTLY asked about, although aspects of them would have been mentioned in answering the other questions, since several of them were of a high mark value)

- Impact of transistors on society... (rama_v was correct... They've done impact of generators, transformers, superconductors on society, but not transistors yet)

- Describe conduction as free movement of electrons

- Identify that resistance is scattering of electrons by lattice

- Discuss BCS theory (has indirectly come up already)

- Process info to identify the metals, alloys, compounts used as superconductors (superconductors have also been frequently asked about, but once again there's a few dotpoints that weren't DIRECTLY examined)

- Use of superconductors in transport and power generation/distribution has only come up once, I think it was a 2, 3 or 4 mark question. Because there's 3 dotpoints on it, I'd say there's some chance it'll come up again.
Wow thanks heaps Captain Gh3y ..Now we can all use this to study :D
Thanks again

helper

HSC
N/A
While, maglev and transistors haven't been directly tested, their other component thermoionic versus semiconductors and applications of superconductors were tested last year with 3 marks each, so I would guess it wouldn't be the long mark question this year.

As it is the year of physics, it wouldn't surprise me if the long mark question is Einstein related.

Galileo's analysis hasn't been tested, same with the explaination of wyh E<sub>p</sub> is negative or the Slingshot effect.

A strange one is DC motors in general haven't been done as they always go for DC generators instead.
The transformer equation has been tested each year except for 2002. Same, there has always been one application of relativity (dilation etc).

Only the one multiple choice question on Crookes tube is a strange one, that will be hit soon.

Hertz was touched on in 2003.

If people are interested, there is a rough mapping of the exams versus dot points and relevent markers comments at:
http://www.geocities.com/gordon30.geo/analysis.doc

If you have a look at it and there is any obvious errors let me know, so I can pass them on. They are based on the exam reports.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
helper said:
As it is the year of physics, it wouldn't surprise me if the long mark question is Einstein related.
Too many long mark q's dedicated solely to Einstein already.

helper said:
Galileo's analysis hasn't been tested, same with the explaination of wyh E<sub>p</sub> is negative or the Slingshot effect.
Agree on the slingshot effect, but I honestly don't see them having "Q22... Outline Galileo's analysis of projectile motion..."

helper said:
A strange one is DC motors in general haven't been done as they always go for DC generators instead.
The transformer equation has been tested each year except for 2002. Same, there has always been one application of relativity (dilation etc).

Only the one multiple choice question on Crookes tube is a strange one, that will be hit soon.

Hertz was touched on in 2003.
Multiple choice questions are way too random to take into consideration, plus nobody worries about what they'll be on. And there hasn't been any non-multiple choice on Hertz.

JumboKHS

HSC
There is no reason to be trying to predict the test, you are just going to get upset when it turns out to be different to your predictions. Summarise your text books, prepare dot point answers, complete past hsc and trial papers, smash the hsc and be happy :).

speed2

HSC
JumboKHS said:
There is no reason to be trying to predict the test, you are just going to get upset when it turns out to be different to your predictions. Summarise your text books, prepare dot point answers, complete past hsc and trial papers, smash the hsc and be happy :).
well put....

JumboKHS

HSC
Thats where the summary of the text book and the prepared dot point answers come into play :). DO NOT make the mistake of basing all of your study on past papers, you need to remember that the hsc questions all come from the dot points in the syllabus and the best way to become familiar with the syllabus is to 1. sumarise your text book
then
2. use this infromation you have just learn from the text book to prepare dot point answers. Write down your dot points in a way that you will remember them, if you remember diagrams well then occupy your notes with as many diagrams as you can do whatever you think is neccessary to remember the notes. What worked for me was i wrote my notes in a type of dialogue form in where i pretended that i was teaching the topic to someone who knew absolutely nothing about the subject, it has seemed to stick with me very well as i tend to remember well things that i have tought to other people.

I am speaking from experience here by the way this is a really good way to study science subjects. I dont know my overall raw marks thus far but my physics trial result was 92% and equal 1st using this method.

Last edited:

serge

HSC
JumboKHS said:
I am speaking from experience here by the way this is a really good way to study science subjects. I dont know my overall raw marks thus far but my physics trial result was 92% and equal 1st using this method.
Good work on your trial result

but I wouldnt summarise the whole textbook
there's no point.
Read the syllabus, check what you dont know,
and makes notes on it. You can estimate how much info each dotpoint
will require anyway. Plus, some textbooks follow either
the old syllabus or put too much info on irrelevant topics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)