What HSC Subjects if I want to do law? (1 Viewer)

acebycc

HSC
Hi everyone, thanks for reading my post

I'm a yr11 student from Sydney, my question to everyone is what subjects should I take on to do my HSC if I want to do a law degree? Do the subjects I done in the HSC matter to the Law course? (e.g. do I have to at least take ext.1 english?)

My subjects are: 2U maths, ext English, Legal Studies, Economics, French and SOR. Should I drop any of these?

thanks for your time

ace

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Re: What subjects should I take if I want to do Law after high school?

there are no particular subjects you must do to study law.

however, there may be assumed subjects you must undertake for the other degree of a combined law degree.

we cannot advise as to which subjects for you to take or drop because that is a matter of individual interest and ability.

acebycc

HSC

thanks so much for your time

do I have to undertake another degree for the law degree?

hYperTrOphY

HSC

You do not need to study any particular subjects in the HSC to subsequently study law at uni. Not even legal studies is required. I think Advanced English is assumed, but I don't think that is even 'required'.

The subjects you should be doing are those that you have most interest in, which, in turn, will generally be the ones you perform greatest in. Goodluck.

acebycc

HSC

hYperTrOphY said:
You do not need to study any particular subjects in the HSC to subsequently study law at uni. Not even legal studies is required. I think Advanced English is assumed, but I don't think that is even 'required'.

The subjects you should be doing are those that you have most interest in, which, in turn, will generally be the ones you perform greatest in. Goodluck.
cheers buddy for your time

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

hYperTrOphY said:

Agreed. Most uni's suggest the highest level of english YOU CAN HANDLE so whatever suits you will do fine. I did advanced and no extensions. As everyone has said follow your interests. I did English Advanced, Legal Studies, French Continuers, Italian Beginners and IPT and I am sure these differed from the people in my law classes. Good luck :)

ar5ena1

HSC

whatever subject your most confident that you'll get band6's in. remember you want to get in first. 99.xx...

michaeln36

HSC

yea. for law only english advanced is recomended, so just do the subjects your going to get the best marks in, and the best chance of getting 99+ uai.

im doing 3u math, physics, chemistry, economics, 2u adv. eng... doesn;t sound much like the subject choices for someone who wants to do law, but i know that with these subjects i have the highest chance of getting the UAI i need to get into the course i want.

Keep in mind though, that to do well in law at university you need strong english language and expression skills. I would recommend that you would want a english advanced mark of at least 80 to be able to cope with the amount of essays your going to have to write (your going to be competing against people with 50/50 in ext2 and ext1 english)!

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC

michaeln36 said:
Keep in mind though, that to do well in law at university you need strong english language and expression skills. I would recommend that you would want a english advanced mark of at least 80 to be able to cope with the amount of essays your going to have to write (your going to be competing against people with 50/50 in ext2 and ext1 english)!
Perhaps you should save comments like that until you're actually at university? You don't need a UAI of 99+ to do law. You don't need to do well in English to do law. Speaking fluent English, is of course absolutely necessary, but I don't think that that is an issue here (I'm not saying that as a joke either, I know a few Chinese and Malaysian international students who despite having excellent spoken English, have a lot of trouble picking up some of the nuances of language which you need to be able to identify).

Last edited:

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A

Looks like the 80 comment struck a nerve.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

neo o said:
Perhaps you should save comments like that until you're actually at university? You don't need a UAI of 99+ to do law. You don't need to do well in English to do law. Speaking fluent English, is of course absolutely necessary, but I don't think that that is an issue here (I'm not saying that as a joke either, I know a few Chinese and Malaysian international students who despite having excellent spoken English, have a lot of trouble picking up some of the nuances of language which you need to be able to identify).
Exactly, i think it was the head of the USYD law school who suggested that a uai of 80+ is sufficient and in my experience so far it can be depending on the person, after all we have many in my class with uai's in the mid eighties range and transfer students with much less who are maintaining credit + averages. These days a UAI of 83+ will get you into law, depending on where you apply to study and there is of course transfer students who often excell better than others.

There is no magic number in english that determine your success however a firm grasp on the english language is required, one of my friends dropped out because English was not her first language and found it difficult to find deep meaning in things (that is not to say that all people with english as a second language will find it hard). There is a lot to read and many of the older cases use difficult language, you also are asked to look closely at words and how different meaning can be infered. These are not really tested in the HSC syllabus, analytical skills are to some extent however success in HSC English is not vital, I got a band 5 for English (mid 80's I think) and cope fine.

As long as you have good verbal/written skills the introductory law subjects teach you how to read the difficult language etc, its like English they teach you how to annotate a poem, or anaylse a visual text, but you need some language skills to base it on. Don't stress too much about marks in English, I did and thought if I didnt get 90+ I would fail everything.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

HSC marks aren't great indicators of your English ability. In general if you're finding it difficult to construct sentences with decent grammar levels then you might need to improve in order to do well at law school.

However, there are no particular HSC subjects that you must undertake in order to be prepared for law school.

michaeln36

HSC

neo o said:
in the uac guide is says that strong english language expression skills are needed for law. i dont think a mark of below 80 in english would equatete to "strong" english skills.....

john31459

HSC
N/A

... equatete?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
anonymous123 said:
hi, what enter scores are required to be eligible for a postgrad law degree in victoria?

Is there a website "current" enterscores needed? and what are the prerequirements for year 12 subjects, do you need like 40-50 study score for english?

if i get like 45 english study score and only 82 enter, will i be eligible
I'm not sure what "enter" scores is all about -- I'm not aware of the Victorian system.

However, I don't think you mean "post-graduate law". Post-graduate law refers to a Masters or SJD. That is, you already need a law degree to do post-grad law.

Also, if you mean "graduate law", then you need another undergraduate degree to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)