What If I Can't Get Into Uni? next best options... (1 Viewer)

Line|z0r

What If You Don't Get Into Uni? Share your plans!!!

What if i don't get the uai i need to get into my desired uni course, Bachelor of Business at Griffith Uni on the Gold Coast. uai needed is 78.

From what i can gather, the only other things you can do are:

1. get into a diff course with a lower uai.

2. pay for part time bachelor of business course (they let u do part time if u pay and if u get good marks u can stay).

3. Go to tafe, do a business course, then upgrade into 2nd yr uni.

4. Forget further education and do a trade or something.

This sucks. I've gotten decent internal marks throughtout the year in all my subjects, 2u maths, eng adv, sdd, chem, physics, but in our recent trials i crashed and burned.

Raw marks were:

maths %46
eng %52
phys %46
chem %43
sdd %58

*slaps head*

But in every other assessment (eg assignments), i got >75%, and in the case of sdd, physics, and eng 85%.

The thing is, I don't know if I can do much better in the hsc exams.
The way I see it, is that if i don't do well in the hsc, i'll be spending a year or two doing tafe, or part time uni before i can get into my course, and even then, only if i do well in those courses. Is it really that hard to get into uni?

I've noticed most of you here all talk about getting uai's of 90+...but surely there are others in the same boat as me...what are your plans?

Any thoughts or suggestions...apart from "work hard and you'll easily get 78uai, its not that hard" would be greatly appreciated.

heh. also, sorry to burden n e one with my troubles. who actually read my whole ramble. Maybe i am just another student stressing bout the hsc. my question to anyone who agress with this, is... what is the solution? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

^___^
HSC
i like ur 3rd option

if you work ur butt off, from this second till the last exam and still can't get the uai, go to tafe, work really hard and get the marks and apply for a transfer

Line|z0r

the way i see it is i want to race cars later down the track, excuse the pun.

The better the job i have, the more money i will have, the more money i can spend on cars/family/house etc.

With bad education/bad job cars will be put off far too long, and thus happiness will be put off. Sure you can have fun too in other ways...but shucks, u gotta dream right?

^___^
HSC
haha..

there are a lot of factors that will affect in terms of ur employment in the future..even if u graudate with a law degree from harvard or a MBA from MQ, if you don't "show" the neccessary skills, it will be hard to find a job, let alone a "good" job...

i think at the moment, you should not focus on "money"..i dun think even uni students in their 1st or 2nr yr should..just work hard, get the grades and then plan ur future out..future as in getting into uni or tafe...

N.U.G.

HSC
from experience, University is overated and not nessecary for many careers.

If you wnat to be a docter, lawyer, teacher or something that requires a specifuc Uni degree then go to Uni... otherwise go to TAFE or similar, and get some experience in the industry you want to be in via employment or work experience.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
yes...yess tafe...tafffffee...not uni....tell your friends to do the same.....psssss

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
go for course with lower uai. at mq open day, a lecture told me as long as u achieve required mark, u may transfer into better course so work hard dude ^^,

like u, my mark r average so i did apply for full fee paying course at acu, the only uni that offer affordable full fee paying :)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
acu? what's that? australian....something...university? oh. catholic. sorry. get it now. why am I even posting.

MoNNiE

HSC
if your uai is just below the cut off apply to the university directly -- u'd be supprised!
(back doors - uts has them :))

MoNNiE

HSC
are you referring to me?

if you were, i'm already at uts..and i recieved the uai needed to get into the course i'm in now..

if my memory serves me correctly uts had advertised in the newspaper before uni started about getting into university if you didn't recieve the uai cut off (BUT PLEASE NOTE THAT IS IS LIMITED TO ONLY SOME COURSES)- it also helps to contact the correct co-ordinators of the course and see if you can negotiate why you should be allowed to do it.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I goto a college where they offer a business course in one year and then you can decide to goto uni through the college the next.

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
TAFE is the best option for most people.

I think everyone should do a TAFE Diploma before University. Employers like HANDS ON, INDUSTRY TRAINING. Most University degrees don't have this, as universities focus on the theoretical stuff.

A TAFE Diploma is worth 1.5 years of a degree, and therefore will save you around $5,000 in HECS fees (HECS is over $5000 per year for most courses, TAFE diploma's cost $1000 per year).

Winston

HSC
your marks aren't that bad, you'd be surprised most peoples marks are somewhat around there haha... trials are meant to be hard... and not to say that your marks don't mean much in the end, remember your ranks the most important, and if you feel less confident for the finals, even better, at least you won't have a thought of not caring about the final and study harder, because you'd be suprise how you go in the final, plus the fact of scaling. So if i was you, yes having those options in mind is fine, but have a optimistic outlook, and just hope for the best, and study hard with the remaining time, and try not to stress yourself badly, take it as it comes.

All the best mate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)