What is 4u english ?! (1 Viewer)

Phenomenon_y

HSC
We all know of the major work and accompanying reflection that needs to be completed, but what else happens during the year? What are some other things I should expect or do to prepare? I've heard there's a literature review, but what is that exactly? I am thinking of doing a short film and am wondering: If I were to talk about texts and literature pieces that have inspired me, is it also okay for me to include movies/shows or even anime series that have inspired ideas, symbols and themes for my, to be made, short film, or am I limited to written pieces despite my chosen form being visual?

Thanks ^^

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of what the English Extension 2 course entails, the year 12 formal school-based assessment program should reflect the following requirements:
  • assessment will be based on the process of composing the Major Work
  • three assessment tasks:
    • a Viva Voce with a weighting of 30%
    • a Literature Review with a weighting of 40%
    • a Critique of the Creative Process with a weighting of 30%
  • the Major Work Journal must be submitted for monitoring with each assessment task.
Regarding the Literature Review in English Extension 2, it is a research and reflection task where students select 2-4 examples of related literature to evaluate and critically examine how their Major Work supports or extends the field of texts in their chosen form. The Literature Review is evaluative and is intended to express the student’s perspective of the literature in relation to their work. It should also not exceed 1200 words in total.

Sadly, I'm not entirely sure about specific aspects of your question as I didn't take English Extension 2, but I hope this helps! 😄

Phenomenon_y

HSC
No worries! This was of huge help to me. Thank you for always answering people's questions

thisname

HSC
hey, 2021 4u english student here and i wanted to add some stuff about doing a short film -> i had thought of doing one - keyword "thought" and the head teacher literally tried to bully me out of it - and some of the concerns they raised was true - a short film can be incredibly difficult to make as its hard to make changes immediately, you would have to amend the script, grab your actors and recreate the set to ensure continuity, while for all other forms its just opening a word document. Also, a lot of teachers are not equipped with knowledge on film or film production, so they would be not very helpful, which is not ideal.. of course, if you believe you are capable with the film medium, do go ahead with your vision, but your 4u process will be quite different to someone just writing a short story.

at the end, i went into the 12 year with a different idea, and found that a short story/script hybrid suited what i wanted to do better + i was still able to incorporate aspects of "film" into my script - so what to get from this is to really think about what form you want to choose and your ability to create in that form, esp in your busy yr 12 year.

also, for inspiration, of course you can talk about movies, tv shows, anime etc, I choose the hannibal tv script as heavy inspiration - HOWEVER you should find pieces in your form, i.e short film to write about in your internals and external reflection. so start binging and reading the scripts of as many short films as you can

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)