What is a GOOD mark? (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
What do you guys consider a GOOD mark?? What grade or percentage is acceptable for you/makes you happy/content??

Me? I believe a high B and 80+ is a good mark I am happy with.
And a low B 65-80 is okay if the test was particularly hard.
And in maths I strive for straight A's 90+ all the time.
And in English I don't mind if I get a B in the 70's.

So yeah, what about you guys?

But yeah, I think >B's and >80% is a score I am stoked with :santa:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
What do you guys consider a GOOD mark?? What grade or percentage is acceptable for you/makes you happy/content??

Me? I believe a high B and 80+ is a good mark I am happy with.
And a low B 65-80 is okay if the test was particularly hard.
And in maths I strive for straight A's 90+ all the time.
And in English I don't mind if I get a B in the 70's.

So yeah, what about you guys?

But yeah, I think >B's and >80% is a score I am stoked with :santa:
I reckon 90%+ or A's in my report :) Who wouldn't be? lol.

jessica.ann

HSC
sc marks u need lik 80+ but yeh b prepared for year 11
things def change
lik ext maths.. a pass is great hahaahaha

i ended up droppin ext 1 maths, just wasnt worth it..

good luck
and o remember this time next yr u will hav already done some assessments that go towards ur hsc...

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Good mark for me is anything over 90. Average mark would be between 80 and 90. :D

ccc123

HSC
sikhman said:
ditto continuum....but i guess it depends on the subject....e.g. in latin, 80% is damn good in my class.....but that is a pretty average mark in maths
Exactly people. It depends on where your strengths lie, obviously. For example, in maths (which i suck at) I'm happy with 85+, whereas in eng and history (which i am good at), i expect almost full marks everytime.

Case in point: In year 10, when, due to some miracle, i was in Advanced Maths, we got a particularly difficult test, which I got 60% in. I was satisfied with this. In the English test however, I got A- and was sorely disappointed.

Evilo

HSC
SC marks have no real value unless you're leaving before HSC

As for their (personal) value, well thats whatever you percieve it to be.
I know people who were upset with their 99.9 UAI last year. I know others that were "happy" they "passed" the hsc. Pass meaning >50. Its all in the eyes of the beholder.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
jaaaaay said:
depends if your asian or not
Not really. I got a few asian friends who sit their asses all day playing World of Warcraft, and they want to pass. A asian friend of mine got a band 1 for history :D, and band 2's for the other subjects and he's like, "I'm happy I passed". People have their own standards on what a good mark is.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I think Band 6 is good, and Band 5 you just passed/scrapped an acceptable mark.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
One word of warning for Prelim/HSC-ers who will do/is considering science subjects and Ext II Maths: your raw marks are not going to be spectacular unless you're just plain talented at the subject.

At my school, anything above 75% raw for Physics and Ext II Maths was like a Godsend. Seriously.

I had trouble adjusting to the horrific raw marks (in my opinion at least) I got in both subjects and it was only about term two that I came to terms to that yes, 80% in 4U Maths was what I should be aiming for and not that elusive 95%+.

Whilst I'm sure that there are some people who will ace their tests and score near full marks for all their tests, the majority will find that their raw marks are nothing like what they received in the junior school.

So, don't freak out and be all like "I'm a failure at liiiiiiiiife" if your raw marks are not what you expected. It is probably a normal mark for that subject. If you're unsure, ask your teacher and they'll be able to tell you what the expected mark range is for the exam. You'd be surprised at how low teachers expect your marks to be sometimes.

Amne

<3
HSC
Look guys, its nice that you have high standards, but you have to remember that marks will get lower as things get harder and you have to be content with marks that your teachers tell you are good. They know what they're doing. So make sure that you listen to their advice.

Like people have said, a pass in extension is good enough.

Take care kiddies. ;)

sevolution

HSC
In english and maths, i call it crap if the mark is below 95%
science im happy with a 80

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Enjoy 95%+ in the School Certificate. It'll be the last time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)