What is a Seminar?! (1 Viewer)

caroline86

Help me! I have to do a seminar tomorrow and I'm not really sure what it is! I've never done one before!
Please help me! :confused: :( :apig:

caroline86

i have to present a seminar
i was thinking of dressing up as a music conductor and it would be as if i was conducting my class but giving out a speech....
but i heard that in a seminar you have to give something to the audience.
is my idea enough or do i have to give them something?

santaslayer

HSC
It's like a class facilitation, that is, your doing a crash course with the class by teaching them on your topic area.

santaslayer

HSC
Yea, worksheets, overheads and other types of handouts that support your facilitation are usually welcomed. Generating class discussion would be better. :)

caroline86

I'm not sure if i can generate class discussion, i have a time limit of 4-5 mins. do you think telling anecdotes or sticking pictures on the board would be ok?

santaslayer

HSC
Time limit of 5 mins?? WTF?
OK, I think you should just treat it as a normal speech then, last time I had a seminar, I was expected to do 45mins minimum, 5 mins won't allow you to do all that, just create worksheets and treat it as a speech I guess. :)

caroline86

hahaha ok then thanks :)
I'm just a little year 12 person.
i think you've answered my question! :eek: I'll probably just stick up pictures and point at them and ask the audience to think! sound good??? hahaha!
thanks again :D

Ziff

HSC
N/A
When teachers expect you to teach the whole syllabus in 4 mins I'm ready to rip their faces off...

EE1 right. We're doing 'Retreat from the Global' and we have to give a 4 minute presentation on the elective statement - basically "teach the whole year in 4mins what we've neglected to teach you because we're painfully incompetent"... fantastic!

Last edited:

caroline86

it's so true isn't it
we are supposed to give this seminar about something we haven't even talked about in class! I have to say the teachers at my school are trying to make us fail english!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
The job of teachers is to help us get the highest possible UAI - not to sabotage our UAIs! I believe a lot of teachers are either lazy, incompetent or just out to make us fail and become teachers...

Sometimes I think that the Dept. of Education and Training has a policy in place telling teachers to make people get shit UAIs so they have to become teachers!

caroline86

hahahhaha.... probably... pretty smart eh?!
oh well.... what can you do except work your arse off!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)