What is engineering studies? (1 Viewer)

Shizuka713

HSC
Hi
Basically I’m new in yr 10 this year and I’m just very confused with the hsc system here
I’m basically studying in a school that had the worst science teachers but I really want to study science subjects

next year I’m planning to study
Math
Math ext 1
Eng advanced
Business
Physics
Chemistry

there is like 11 units here, our school require us to get 12 units for year 11

so I either will choose geography or engineering studies
But I’ve never heard of engineering studies nor do I know if it’s hard or anything
Should I stick with geography ( I’ve studied it before, but don’t have much interest)
Or try engineering studies ( which I want to study engineering in the future)
And I’m thinking to drop one subject after yr 11
So I’ll be with 11 units

Also I’m planning to choose math ext 2 in yr 12
Cause is it better to have 12 units rather than 11?
but since the teachers here don’t teach well for science and math, anyone have any advice if math ext 2 can be handled by myself?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
engineering is very content heavy in year 11 and the maths shouldn’t be too hard if your apt and keen for maths (I’m assuming you are given you’re desire for 4u).

materials etc

Shizuka713

HSC
engineering is very content heavy in year 11 and the maths shouldn’t be too hard if your apt and keen for maths (I’m assuming you are given you’re desire for 4u).

materials etc
thanks for replying
will engineering studies rlly take up a lot of time to study? Or is it beneficial if i wanna study engineering in the future?
or if doing 4u math is worth it? is it possible for getting a 90+ atar?

Chiprr

HSC
thanks for replying
will engineering studies rlly take up a lot of time to study? Or is it beneficial if i wanna study engineering in the future?
or if doing 4u math is worth it? is it possible for getting a 90+ atar?
I have engineering as a bonus subject that I will probably end up dropping after trials. Our new teacher isn't very good and the previous teacher is retiring which is really upsetting. The old teacher has told us that a few students have spoken to him after first year at uni and said that engineering studies covers a lot of basic first year stuff. I haven't found it too bad but my school really isnt great for it and we rarely look at materials or anything outside of what is common sense and learned in year 11 for corrosion resistance or malleability or hardness.

Have a look at the syllabus though, a lot of year 12 seems to be focused on civil engineering (at least the civil topic and personal and public transport). Very little is done on electrical and that sort of thing.

Definitely pretty useful and geared towards those keen on mechanical or civil (maybe a bit of aeronautical due to the y12 topic)

wizzkids

HSC
What is Engineering Studies?
The NSW Engineering Studies syllabus caters for students of all abilities who like building, designing, prototyping and generally figuring out how manufactured products and the built environment really work, from first principles.
It combines four focus areas: Scope of the Engineering Profession, Engineering Communication, History of Technology and Materials Science. lf you enjoy building things, and you have mathematical ability, or maybe you have a STEM hobby like model making or electronics, then you would enjoy Engineering Studies.
If you don't have a passion for STEM, then don't do this subject. You will quickly get very bored and annoyed with the heavy content.

Chiprr

HSC
What is Engineering Studies?
The NSW Engineering Studies syllabus caters for students of all abilities who like building, designing, prototyping and generally figuring out how manufactured products and the built environment really work, from first principles.
It combines four focus areas: Scope of the Engineering Profession, Engineering Communication, History of Technology and Materials Science. lf you enjoy building things, and you have mathematical ability, or maybe you have a STEM hobby like model making or electronics, then you would enjoy Engineering Studies.
If you don't have a passion for STEM, then don't do this subject. You will quickly get very bored and annoyed with the heavy content.
I definitely second this. The best part of the subject was building a bridge out of plywood strips for the civil topic but the rest of it is pretty boring. My teacher doesn't make it seem like a content heavy subject which worries me for the HSC and is probably why I'll drop it in a term or so. He's young, gets stuff wrong, and doesn't seem to have a massive idea of what's going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)