• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is everything that one should consider when comparing universities? (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Lol i think aiesic would give crobat a fright. Dat voluntarism :haha:
Nah we share offices with AISEC

They're an alright bunch of people, can't say I'm into forcing developing nations into dependency on the west but what are you gonna do, short term benefits are all that people look at until it officially becomes long term and you have the benefit of hindsight

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've been told, this is everything I should consider when comparing universities:
- ATAR cutoffs
- World rankings
- Reputation of faculty/course
- Content of the course and unique units they might have
- Teaching staff
- Facilities
- Student housing
- Scholarships
- Social life
- Atmosphere of the university
- Graduation rate
- Employment rate

Is there anything else I should be considering? I don't want to miss anything! :)
World rankings aren't a good measure if you are considering an undergraduate degree. The rankings use metrics which are heavily weighted towards research output and funding, which doesn't affect undergraduates, nor the quality of teaching.

Using the employment rate can be difficult too. These rates are collated annually through a survey which is sent out to recent graduates. The question does not specify whether you are employed in a role which relates to your qualifications. For example, if you get a job working at a fast food joint after you graduate, this is counted as employment. If you want to use this rate, try to find the total picture. Some universities are more geared towards students who want to continue their studies into post grad, and they won't be counted as employed.

Ruros

HSC
World rankings aren't a good measure if you are considering an undergraduate degree. The rankings use metrics which are heavily weighted towards research output and funding, which doesn't affect undergraduates, nor the quality of teaching.

Using the employment rate can be difficult too. These rates are collated annually through a survey which is sent out to recent graduates. The question does not specify whether you are employed in a role which relates to your qualifications. For example, if you get a job working at a fast food joint after you graduate, this is counted as employment. If you want to use this rate, try to find the total picture. Some universities are more geared towards students who want to continue their studies into post grad, and they won't be counted as employed.
Excellent points, what do you think I should be considering then? :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Excellent points, what do you think I should be considering then? :)
Pretty much everything else you included on that list looks great.

enoilgam

HSC
From what I've been told, this is everything I should consider when comparing universities:
- ATAR cutoffs
- World rankings
- Reputation of faculty/course
- Content of the course and unique units they might have
- Teaching staff
- Facilities
- Student housing
- Scholarships
- Social life
- Graduation rate
- Employment rate

Is there anything else I should be considering? I don't want to miss anything! :)
I'd focus on the following:

- Course quality and content
- Links to Industry
- Teaching staff
- Facilities
- Student housing
- Scholarships
- Social life
- Graduation rate

I wouldnt really bother with the rest. "Uni reputation" only matters for careers like Law, IB and MBB - otherwise, it isnt really much of a factor. Likewise, employment rate isnt very reliable for the reasons OzKo pointed out.

Ruros

HSC
In regards to the course quality and content, what questions should I be asking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)