What is Extension History (1 Viewer)

HSC
I have no idea what history extension is about. I wanted to ask a year 12 student at my school but no one does it. If anyone who does history extension can enlighten me on the major project and what history extension is about, how difficult it is, if its time consuming,etc. I would appreciate it :)

D94

HSC
N/A
In Modern and Ancient, you learn history. In Extension, you learn about history. There are schools of thoughts that argue history is merely a construct of what historians tell us. Others say there can be absolute, objective history.

How has 'history' developed over the years? There is a clear difference of how Thucydides conveyed 'his' history to that of say von Ranke. You learn about why there are differences and make judgements as to 'what is history' and how historical events/debates/people have changed our perception of history - for example, WW1 history in each country might be skewed by propaganda efforts of the time, but this is the history that we are taught, so is it actually "correct"?

The major project is actually just a heavily weighted assignment. You develop a question and perform an investigation into your topic. It's essentially your own construct and analysis of the historical events.

I didn't find it time consuming. Part of the course is evaluating and synthesising opinions/facts/debates/people/events. Master that and you won't find it time consuming.

https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/history-extension-st6-syl-from2010.pdf

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)