What is Macquarie Law Like? (1 Viewer)

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
Hello Macquarie Law Students
I am interested in studying law at Macquarie in 2006 (providing my UAI agrees)
and was wondering how you find the course, if you enjoy it and how you feel it compares to other universities. I also wanted to know what you plan on doing once you complete your degree - solicitor, barrister or something else?
Thanks

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i heard it's good lol

Your lucky there's quite a few people on here that do law or have done law subjects

Most of my friends from school chose macq law over uts... because macq focus's on the .....

hang on this is what i heard okay

"If you want to save the world go do macquarie law... if you want to rule the world goto sydney or unsw law... if u want to be an architect goto uts"

Don't flame me! its what i heard alright ....

i think mj, phwar, cyan phoenix, nicky n that are in a better position to explain macq law lol

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
lol at Anne! I've heard that too, but I dont want to save the world, just children from fucked up families! :)

Well, all 2nd year students are online at the moment fretting about our exam!

Personally, I love law. I think the course is really well-structured, the lecturers and tutors all know what they are on about; most seem to either be past or current barristers/solicitors. Some of the first year units are dry and boring, but thats to be expected when jurisprudence is a compulsory unit (its not at other uni's *shakes fist*). Second year units are great, really enjoyable. MQ seems to have a good range of 400 and 500 level units, however, this might not be as extensive as other uni's, but I'm not sure.

Also, MQ have more options with what you can combine your LLB with. This is the main reason why I decided to go to MQ, because it was the only uni to offer psych/llb... That, and its a 15minute drive from home! :D

When I leave uni, I plan on practising family law. Not so keen on being a barrister, much prefer being a solicitor for the time being, but that might change.

Dont know whether this has helped you or not - kinda off with the drug fairies trying to acquit my client! :)

iwannarock

HSC
last night i probably would have said "nooooooo don't do law you don't know what you're gettin urself into its baaaaaaad.....bad bad bad".

but now that the partial insanity has worn off after doing the essay i realize law isn't that bad.

the reasons i do macquarie law

- you can combine another degree with it. really free to do what you want with law. i'm doing arts/law. so i do music for arts its really good to have that freedom with the other part of the degree.

- i live like 15mins away, if macquarie is close to you you're gonna love it. i can wake up like 30mins before a lecture and still make it there.

- i dunno how it compares to other unis, but honestly i don't see how sydney could be that much better. and plus, i would never wanna travel all that way every day it'd kill me.

after my law degree as my name implies i wanna rock. i wanna hold my goblet of rock fury and salute the rock gods and play guitar and unleash rock n roll onto the world. :cool:

oh...............and if that doesn't work out, i'd try and become a solicitor. being a barrister never really appealed to me and plus i'm not really a good public speaker. i was thinking contract law. but after doing contracts i'm not so sure i'm too good at it.

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
It sounds good
Fortunately I dont wana rule the world, would prefer to save it - so Mac seems the go. And it is 4.9kms from home! lol
Thanks

HSC
i love mac law (now that i've handed my assignment in lol)
i think it is a well taught course - not so much into the legal rhetoric or rote memorising - gets u to really think about things and learn the relevant law while u're doing it - great stuff
plus mac uni's just a really fun, friendly uni
big fan - glad i came here

i'm combining my law with commerce-marketing - i'm not sure which i'm going to end up going with - the only plausible solution i have so far that combines both degrees is to create an illegal marketing firm - which is basically a marketing firm that commits various lucrative crimes (and saves heaps in legal fees)

i was going to do straight commerce-law but it was way way too boring
good luck with everything - hopefully we'll see u around next year

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lol yeah plus the support (stalking) system of BOS can always help u out when ur stuck in a rut...(ie if ur noteless, clueless, lonely or in need of summaries)

Heyy! FLYIN

I think we should have an official seperate trading/selling/giving notes section... i'de be stressed out this semester if it wern't for the lil unofficial notes bos trading system some of us have participated in this semester.

actually nah... we'll just start up lil threads when exam time come around again

meh

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
The Nick said:
The dry boring subjects aren't ones that you'll want to kill yourself over, so it's good compared to Stat :)
balsphemy!

stat = coolness

(easy stat though, not actuarial stat, they just ruin the fun ;))

The Nick

McBain
HSC
redruM said:
balsphemy!

stat = coolness

(easy stat though, not actuarial stat, they just ruin the fun ;))
Numbers are the tool of the devil. I'll be happy with my Arts subjects thx very much :p

Michiru

HSC
hehe. i want to save the world!!

thanks all of you =) *hugz*
you've convinced me to ditch all the other uni's for macq even if it means waking up 45 minutes earlier every day. now the only thing to decide is whether to combine law with environmental mangament or psychology

The Nick

McBain
HSC
Michiru said:
hehe. i want to save the world!!

thanks all of you =) *hugz*
you've convinced me to ditch all the other uni's for macq even if it means waking up 45 minutes earlier every day. now the only thing to decide is whether to combine law with environmental mangament or psychology
I don't know about the first one, so I'm going to assume it involves hugging trees. I can tell you that in psych you get to learn about scaring cows with umbrellas. Like, you go up to the cow and open the umbrella in front of it, and it gets scared. But the more you do it, the more it gets used to it.

Sounds pretty worthwhile

Michiru

HSC
hehe. scaring cows using umbrellas. sounds fuuuun! ^^

damn. this makes it even harder to decide.

*sigh*

i wish i had the time and brain power to do both psych and envio. mgn.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
The Nick said:
I don't know about the first one, so I'm going to assume it involves hugging trees. I can tell you that in psych you get to learn about scaring cows with umbrellas. Like, you go up to the cow and open the umbrella in front of it, and it gets scared. But the more you do it, the more it gets used to it.

Sounds pretty worthwhile
i remember they showed us that, where the cows habituate to the umbrella... classic :)

sly fly

HSC
I'd like to do law at macq next year aswell.......a main part of it is coz as scarecrow said, macq is just a very fun and friendly uni. I love that uni :p

Also, if u want a social life I'd go for macq over syd because apparently with syd uni the law students only stick with other law students, but at macq it's relatively easy to make friends with anyone, not just those doing ur degree.....that's what I heard

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Michiru said:
i wish i had the time and brain power to do both psych and envio. mgn.
Yeah, tough choice. The best pscyh program in NSW vs the synergous combo of Environ Mgt/LLB, with enviromental law being one of MQ law school's strengths (along with international law and legal history).

Sly fly's right. MQ tends not to create unnecessary boundaries of association amongst students e.g. we have shared lecture theatres right across the uni - something you don't get at USYD/UNSW. This ties in with the spirit of the university which has always been of indisciplinary learning.

But if you do wanna hang with just people from your degree, there are always soc's you can join e.g. MULS, ASSOC, etc.

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
sly fly said:
IAlso, if u want a social life I'd go for macq over syd because apparently with syd uni the law students only stick with other law students, but at macq it's relatively easy to make friends with anyone, not just those doing ur degree.....that's what I heard
I've heard that too, actually... When I was talking to someone about the great VSU/USU debate (isn't it interesting now that it's passed there's been next to nothing said about it... I have at least one friend who argued against it because it's currently trendy to be anti-liberal, it seems... I wonder how many others are like that? ;)), and she was a part time student at Syd and MQ, and holding down a job at the same time... she said she'd not pay the SAF at syd, but would at MQ because it's got a better atmosphere

...whether "atmosphere" is the uni's doing, or whether that's the union/etc, (or a bit of both) I don't know though, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Michiru

HSC
But if you do wanna hang with just people from your degree, there are always soc's you can join e.g. MULS, ASSOC, etc.
i don't really mind who i hang with, but i'd like it more if i can have friends across the board.

right now...it's just trying to decide whether to combine law with psych or enviro mgn. eek eek

Last edited:

monique66

Yay! I think I'll be doing law at mac as well, I'm thinking about combining it with commerce but I'm not definate because marketing sounds interesting. I've talked to a few people that are interested in going to mac but noone that wants to do law so far...

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
damnation said:
I've talked to a few people that are interested in going to mac but noone that wants to do law so far...
Well that's not really a problem as such.

You meet so many new people at uni that you tend to break off a lot of old ties anyway. And as I say to all Law School newbies, get comfortable with the people at your first law lecture...you'll be spending the next 5 years with them. =)

You receive a really smooth transition into tertiary education, better than any other degree at Macquarie. You'll get one-on-one mentoring from a senior law student. The Law School will provide you with a "Welcome to Macquarie Law School" function with beer, wine and nibblies after your first class. There'll be invites to countless functions, socials, law competitions (we're looking for revenge against Sydney Uni in '06!). Friendships will be forged, strange latin terms will be learnt, and the crazy drunken antics of first year law camp will be forever burnt into your brain (if you do it right)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)