What is more important, rank or marks?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
What is more important in school assessments, rank or marks??
I'm asking this as I've gotten alot of my half-yearly results back and while I was very pleased with my rank the overall marks for the students, including myself in my school were still pretty ordinary.
I was just wondering, is it better to say, for example, get 70% and come first or get 80% and come third or second or something like that.
A simple explanation is all I need, I don't need to learn the whole moderating process and all that, so yeah, simple is fine. :D

Cheers and thanks

A l

HSC
N/A
It's all about ranking. The more people you beat, the more it adds to your chances of a good mark or UAI. More precisely, it is your state ranking rather than your school ranking that matters.
In regards to school assessments, it doesn't matter what mark you get, as long as you get yourself in a high ranked position. You must maintain that rank in external examinations as well in order for the moderating process to work in your favour.

pig_93

HSC
but then again, like you, i go to a school where the candidature isnt high (ie just a normal public school) and i come 1st in things with shocking percentages. ie just in the halfers in maths i got 74% and came first...THATS BAD. i mean, the test was hard (not HEAPS though) but like our school, no offence isnt smart.
so what happens then?

aaaman

Banned
HSC
A l said:
It's all about ranking. The more people you beat, the more it adds to your chances of a good mark or UAI. More precisely, it is your state ranking rather than your school ranking that matters.
In regards to school assessments, it doesn't matter what mark you get, as long as you get yourself in a high ranked position. You must maintain that rank in external examinations as well in order for the moderating process to work in your favour.
thanks i never knew that :D

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
What happens to your UAI if you:

-Do good with in school assesments, but bomb the HSC?
-Do bad with in school assesments, but do well in the HSC?
Fuck up the rest of your cohort :p.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
It's neither the ranks themselves nor actual marks that are important, but rather the gaps between students. If you come 1st in a school of students who generally aren't very capable, then you may not necessarily do well. By the same token, if you place 50/75 in a school of smart students, you may in fact do very well in the end.

In summary, ensure that the gap between you and the guy in front of you is as small as possible...

A l

HSC
N/A
Arvin Sloane said:

It depends what you call "bad". If your school assessments are bad in terms of marks instead of ranking, then it shouldn't matter, your HSC examination would be likely to pull you up.
If it's in terms of rankings then they both are pretty much similar. For example you are ranked in average (say 60) in the school, but you are ranked first in the examination (say 90) over all candidates in your school, then your final mark would be the median/average of the two marks (i.e. 75).
The same happens if the situation is in reverse; you are ranked first in your school assessments and then you are ranked in average for your examination then you would get the same mark.
So basically, you must try equally hard in your school assessments as well as your external examinations in order to maximise your potential marks and UAI.

Last edited:

Mandy101

HSC
Arvin Sloane said:

a) You'll get a good Moderated Assessment mark, but your HSC mark will be shit bringing your average down

b) You'll get a bad ranking and get allocated a mark that won't be good (if you're ranked last, you'll get the lowest mark received in the HSC exam by any student from your school) but your HSC mark will be good - your average will be brought down by your Moderated Assessment mark though.

Either way, your f*cked, so it's best to do as well as you can in both areas!

cholly

Somebody's Left Shoe
HSC
we just got our reports and our rankings in some subjects are really skewed because everybody is coming really close together....for example....in advanced english theres about 3 people coming equal first and then the ranks from there go...(its not totally right but close) 1, 4, 8, 17, 23, 34, 41/54.....if i'm sitting on 34/54 and theres only say, 7 marks between me and the first place people, how will that affect UAI and alignment?

A l

HSC
N/A
cholly said:
we just got our reports and our rankings in some subjects are really skewed because everybody is coming really close together....for example....in advanced english theres about 3 people coming equal first and then the ranks from there go...(its not totally right but close) 1, 4, 8, 17, 23, 34, 41/54.....if i'm sitting on 34/54 and theres only say, 7 marks between me and the first place people, how will that affect UAI and alignment?
By the time you reach your external examinations, there is a chance that this skewed distribution may be broken. So, it depends on you and your school's performance in the external exam to determine you UAI and marks.
If your ranking remains the same, then chances are, that you will be far behind the person or people coming first. Even if your internal assessment marks differ by only 7 marks, the number of people that are ahead of you can extend that gap when it comes to state ranking and UAI.

putri tini

HSC
Im currently doing 11units and i seriously SUCK at maths adv. Im only doing 1 ext sub - Music,
As maths will be my downfall CAn someone plz tell me - for the UAi do they take off one unit of maths or the 1unit ext subject?

thanks

A l

HSC
N/A
putri tini said:
Im currently doing 11units and i seriously SUCK at maths adv. Im only doing 1 ext sub - Music,
As maths will be my downfall CAn someone plz tell me - for the UAi do they take off one unit of maths or the 1unit ext subject?

thanks
Not really relevent to the topic of the thread, but one unit of the two units of Mathematics would be taken off for your UAI calculation, if that happens to be the course that you get the lowest saled mark in.

HSC
putri tini said:
yeh sorry about that i was just having a stress attack

thanks A I :)
Just in case you want to check if maths will screw you up badly, even though only 1 unit will be counted, just check up in sam and put your maths mark at what you think you will get. It will give you a rough idea of how much you will or won't get screwed. :D

Last edited:

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
as an 04 student, trust me, ranks are most important, if ur assessment marks are all 40% yet u get first in every subject.. well then u go get higher marks say 80% in the external exam and all ur assessment marks get moderated to 80% so ur way better off. make sure ur in the top few of each subject, helps big time.

HSC
ranks are important etc. etc.

But are the assessment marks which create your rank also given to the board of studies

i.e
Joe Blow was 1st Got 89
Jimmy Hendrix was 2nd got 88.

Are the marks given or is just the rank.
I ask because i'm ~3rd in both IPT and Software and the top 4 are really close together where as the rest of the class (the 6 other students in Software, The 36 other students in IPT) are pretty far behind.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The actual marks are given to the Board.

It is not just your rank that is relevant - the relative differences between students are also important.

The marks serve to indicate your position and achievement relative to other students in your class.

It doesn't matter what the actual figures are (i.e. whether the marks of your class range between 60 and 80 or between 80 and 100) but it does matter where your mark places you relative to the rest of your class.

The final marks sent to the Board really just act as 'placeholders' for moderated marks, which will be determined according to the performance of your class on the HSC exam.

jessied

HSC
hi! um at the moment in my 2u class of 15 people theres 5 of us at the top (between 90-86%) and its really close and then theres about a 20-25 mark gap to the rest of the class (the other 10) and im ranked 5th. is this a good position to be in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)