What is Punk? (1 Viewer)

Gangels

HSC
I was talking to my music teacher today and she mentioned that she gave a listening exercise to her year 9 class, she used a Jack Johnson song as her example and she asked them the style of music. THEY SAID PUNK! What the fuck? Has punk become so wide? I thought it was goin downhill, it seems to be becoming more and more emo with every punk band to come along.

shimmerz_777

HSC
ive argued this point ever since simple plan came out before emo was the term to describe them. i can sum the whole transformation of what punk has become through comparing lines of the 80's and the 00's

Ramones: : " i wanna sniff some glue"
simple plan: "i'm sorry i cant be perfect"

since when was punk about forgiveness anyway?

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
hahahaha this reminds me of a heated discussion we had in one of my tutorials the other day - what made the sex pistols punk and avril lavigne.. not.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
bahaha jack johnson? more like...acoustica chillout

The phrase punk is pretty widespread these days, not to mention the countless subgenres.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
Punk died when it went mainstream. Once this happened it compremised it's ideals and sold out.

Punk's crap anyway.

libertine

in the middle class ghetto: North Shore, Bitch
HSC
This may extremely idealistic but punk is a way of life...not conforming to rules and which can also stirring up shit in society, causing controversy a la sexpistols.
in terms of music i view punk as any band which voices an opinion and truly believes in it. those people who by going mainstream punk "sold out" are complete dumb fucks. how can punk mean anything when its restricted to a small cross-section of misfits in society..to have a real impact it must in someway compromise to the realities of todays profit-driven society..the best e.g is the clash..people who say the clash werent punk because they had a comfortable record deal on a major label, ignore the fact that it was mainly through distribution of a major record label they were able to enthuse a generation of youths to "give a fuck" and let there voices be heard.

im not sure if punk is alive today..in the rock form anyway..

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
oh god, i hate nothing more than these PUNK IS DEAD discussions.

there are still plenty of bands playing punk music and living the punk lifestyle or whatever, you just don't know about them.

esquared

HSC
punk is an ethic.
but it has slowly been transformed into a style of music by record labels, media, and the general public who strive to compartmentalise everything into purely musical genres, rather than deeper genres.

of course, real punk is still alive. it always will be, not in the mainstream but it will be

man i sound like a wanker.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
libertine said:
This may extremely idealistic but punk is a way of life...not conforming to rules and which can also stirring up shit in society, causing controversy a la sexpistols.
This is almost impossible in todays society, punk isn't rebeling, it's only fooling itself.

libertine said:
in terms of music i view punk as any band which voices an opinion and truly believes in it. those people who by going mainstream punk "sold out" are complete dumb fucks. how can punk mean anything when its restricted to a small cross-section of misfits in society..to have a real impact it must in someway compromise to the realities of todays profit-driven society.
Punk's entire ethos is built around the notion of sticking it to the man and do it yourself. To parade an attitude that claims to hate the "man" only to turn around and use them to sell records. Is, in my eyes (And anyone with any sort of sense) a complete conflict of ideals.

People are constantly confusing the notion of selling out with making money. To "sell out" is to compromise ideals to make money (records via a major label). The only way people can actually sell out is if they embrace the concept of "not selling" i.e punk. No other genre holds the "against the man" attitude. Though you argue that rock as concept hold these ideals. But, while this true it doesn't hold the same place within the rock ethos.

Now alot of this won't be a problem if punk wasn't based entirely on it's ethos. One could just focus on the music but it's just crap. Two chords, yelling and the same drum beat in every song doesn't do much for the ear. And aggression has been superseeded by metal.

shimmerz_777

HSC
Oddy Nocki said:
Punk's entire ethos is built around the notion of sticking it to the man and do it yourself.
"Daddy look at me, tell me what do you see, did i grow up according to plan?..... im sorry i cant be perfect"

this is why simple plan can never be punk, although on a poll on channel v, they were voted like 90% as a punk band as opposed to a pop band. people must not obviously get the notion of punk, or the people who vote atleast.

HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
"Daddy look at me, tell me what do you see, did i grow up according to plan?..... im sorry i cant be perfect"

this is why simple plan can never be punk, although on a poll on channel v, they were voted like 90% as a punk band as opposed to a pop band. people must not obviously get the notion of punk, or the people who vote atleast.
lol. take it easy.. what would people who watch channel v know about punk bands and punk rock in general?

renton

HSC
The point is that rock n roll and punk rock (and by this i mean iggy and the such) is the ultimate popularist art form, democracy in action, because it's true anybody can do it. Learn three chords on a guitar and you've got it. For performing rock n roll or punk rock or call it any damn thing you please, there's only one thing you need : N E R V E. Rock n roll and punk is an attitude, and if you've got the attitude you can do it. Believing that, is what punk rock is about. Rock is for everybody, it should be so implicitly anti-elitist that the question of whether somebody's qualified to perform it should never arise.
But then again, there is a thing called MTV - that went and ruined it all in one foul swoop of music, good times and anything else that has ever been right and true in music.

So where is punk rock? It's been buried under piles and piles and piles of MTV dung...but if you look deep enough under that searing MTV faecal matter, you'll find it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)