What is so special about James Ruse or any other selective? (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
I as a parent, have the responsibility of deciding which HS best suits my child's needs. And I do not want to limit the number of choices to just HS in Sydney.
Right, so what about other things like your child's social well-being? Mental welfare? Stability? Friends? Social life? This is assuming your child even is capable in areas you deem worthy of study. What if your child is creative and literature focused? What if they don't like mathematics? What if they don't want to study in China?

You are very linearly focused, a sort of tunnel vision where you don't even know there's more to early HS than the education a student receives. If an Australian HS student is capable of doing well in Australian universities then what's your endgame?

financialwar

HSC
N/A
That doesn't take away from the fact that you called them "bloody stupid", nor was the added comment called for.

Seems like the purpose of this thread was to sing praises of chinese education.
Either their children are really stupid, or their government just don't care about education, because there is no other explanation for a country with $104,000 gdp per capita to performance so badly academically, they are just slightly better than Peru.

I think the latter is a more probable explanation, because the country is sitting on a pile of oil, there is no incentive to be productive.

Nothing wrong with praising and criticizing a country's education system, this is forum is for right?

enoilgam

HSC
You are very linearly focused, a sort of tunnel vision where you don't even know there's more to early HS than the education a student receives. If an Australian HS student is capable of doing well in Australian universities then what's your endgame?
That pretty much sums up what I'm thinking - I mean, what is the point? Having been through school and then uni, it really isn't worth going to all that trouble for education. I'm not saying that it is unimportant, but your HSC/Uni results aren't make or break like it is in China. Even if your kids wanted to do Medicine, you would be better of keeping them here and working hard at it. Your plan just sounds like a whole lot of effort for a minimal or marginal gain - it all seems so unnecessary.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Either their children are really stupid, or their government just don't care about education, because there is no other explanation for a country with $104,000 gdp per capita to performance so badly academically, they are just slightly better than Peru.

I think the latter is a more probable explanation, because the country is sitting on a pile of oil, there is no incentive to be productive.

Nothing wrong with praising and criticizing a country's education system, this is forum is for right?
You are looking at this too simplistically....

There are many factors that affect how students in a nation perform.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
The school itself is nothing special.
It is however, the competitive nature, motivated mindset and natural aptitude of these students that make the school 'special'.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
You may want to check how PISA test is conducted, they don't just take the scores of the high class citizens, they take the whole population, so the score is like an average of the testing location. So social gradient, whatever that means, is meaningless.

Qatar is not a race, it's a state. And it's not racism when it's a fact. High GDP per capita and low PISA, if it's not for oil then I would like an non racist explanation, thanks.
You do realize Shanghai is extremely selective of who enters their public schools. There are exams and residency requirements to enter schools locally. If you don't have a shanghai huko (hint: 99% of shanghai's poor doesnt) don't get to send your kids there.

Qatar has a high gdp per capita because of oil. I thought surely someone as "educated" as you would know about that. why do you even care how well qatar is doing.

Why do you plan on sending your kids overseas by themselves? It's one of the worst idea especially when we have such a good education system in aus. If you think private school is expensive here, have fun looking at costs for international students overseas. If you want your kids to have an "easy access" to aussie uni's, send them to an american high school where it's so skewed towards the SAT's its so easy for americans to get into aussie unis. High school grades don't count at all and you only need SAT 1 scores (i know this because i was a product of international schools).

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
That's why I stressed university affiliated school, experimental schools and international schools or schools with international divisions. These schools usually have the option not doing Gaokao, instead using IB, SAT etc, the students in these type of schools get into Harvard, Stanford etc.
http://www.aussierelocation.com/sub...opic=Education&subtopic=International Schools

There are international schools in sydney. Big hint: YOU NEED AN OVERSEAS PASSPORT TO ATTEND ONE. We don't have many because we already have a western education system suitable for expats. We already have schools that have IB programs, also anyone can take the SAT. If a chinese student doesn't take a gaokao and haven't been in an IB system (as a local citizen) they would not be eligible for entering university in australia. There are VERY specific requirements from SPECIFIC country-based degrees.

You do realize those "experimental schools" are pretty much western style teaching right?

The students taht enter the experimental schools are EXTREMELY talented and from SPECIFIC backgrounds. One's in Taiwan your parents either had to be 1. A high level engineer/scientist at the tech park or 2. Professor at the local uni's. Not exactly letting anyone enter.

kyusungasong

HSC
James Ruse is full of academically talented or hardworking students providing a competitive environment for personal improvement. It also has a higher scaling when it comes to internal marks which is attractive for most students.

demoninator

HSC
N/A
I don't understand your intention of this thread. You have asked a question and then you are making a statement. Why are you comparing JR with Chinese schools?
You are making assumptions without the facts. Just to keep this simple. If you or your child get an offer from JR it is worth discussing otherwise it is futile.
As far as the IQ of JR students, read the link.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news...ry-kids-a-genius/story-e6freuzi-1111118591422

Mr_Kap

HSC
Scaling for HSC is good because they are smart. If someone gets an offer they should seriously consider taking it.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
I wish I went to my local selective school. Too dumb to get in the first time (who knows anything in year 6), but definitely could have gotten in year 10. Oh well.

What's special about selectives is smart people tend to flock to them and you have a school filled with high achievers, or at least higher achieving than your average student at a public school.

I would guess most kids their have bigger dreams than your average public school kid, teachers actually care about teaching well, and don't forget about the kids struggling (or maybe not, I have no idea, heard this is true for private schools).

Public schools are filled with kids who don't care, majority are not high achievers and maybe only the top 15% of the whole school is. You know what's weird, I heard one teacher say "I never wanna teach the top class, they're too smart, too much pressure". Wtf?

Aim for a selective school.
Solid generalisation there.

Not even gonna bother writing up a long response

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Nevertheless - a pretty accurate generalization.
Hardly.

Given the distribution of ATAR's and range of school ranks, it would be inappropriate to apply that sort of generalisation to every school from the range of say (100 to 500) that isn't a selective school.

That sort of generalisation may apply to say the bottom 20% or 30%, but it isn't still "pretty accurate".

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
There will be large degree of dropkicks who don't give a fk comparatively to selectives

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Yeah I'm not disagreeing per se because every school is different and most of us have only experienced 1-2 schooling environments, but coming from a 500+ ranked school hate to say it but Flop's generalisations were pretty accurate. Then again I can't comment on any of the other 500 public schools ranked above mine lol.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I'm not disagreeing per se because every school is different and most of us have only experienced 1-2 schooling environments, but coming from a 500+ ranked school hate to say it but Flop's generalisations were pretty accurate. Then again I can't comment on any of the other 500 public schools ranked above mine lol.
Statement 1: flops comment is accurate
Statement 2: I've only experienced 1/2 schools
Statement 3: I can't comment on any of the other 500

You'Ve just proved me right as general = common to all/most

Thus we need to gather statements from 10-30 schools ranging from low to high ranks in order to come to an conclusion

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Statement 2: I've only experienced 1/2 schools
Hmm funny I don't think I've ever experienced half a school? :p Jk
I reckon there are plenty of low-ranked schools that have a higher % of kids that study and try, and I'm sure there are higher ranked schools with heaps of kids that don't put in that much effort.

Someone should do their PIP on this tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)