what is the best cable plan? adsl vs cable (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
ok i'm getting confused, i heard that adsl is shitter in terms of speed than cable if cable is uncapped, but then why the hell is adsl the same price as cable, when its shitter? What is the best cable unlimited plan, in major terms regarding the cost?

this list is from telstra: Can someone please explain which one is better, what is the difference?

Plan Access MB Cost ($) Speed Excess

Cable Unlimited Cable Unlimited* $59.95 Uncapped/128 kbps

ADSL Unlimited 256/64kbps ADSL Unlimited* $59.95 256/64 kbps

thankyou :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
consider www.ii.net as well.... it is as fast as cable in most cases.

and, yeah cable is good for most people, but it isn't really unlimited.

after a number of gigs it will be shaped to dialup speeds for rest of month.

unlimited ADSL will always be fastish.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
consider www.ii.net as well.... it is as fast as cable in most cases.

and, yeah cable is good for most people, but it isn't really unlimited.

after a number of gigs it will be shaped to dialup speeds for rest of month.

unlimited ADSL will always be fastish.
so what connection do you have?

Assasinator_2

HSC
ADSL is now far better than cable, since cable has tighter limits. Noone except the HUGE computer users need the speed of cable over ADSL, but adsl has far more liberal download limits.

iiNet have awesome adsl plans, especially if you bundle with iiPhone and are close to an iiNet DSLAM (8Mbit/second, when cable maxes out at 10)

Other than that, check Internode, westnet, et. al.

Also, go here, read the forums, and use broadband choice guide.

edit: Cable can be as slow as even the non-iiNet bundle plans, depending on how many users of it are in your local loop. Whereas ADSL is a Point-to-point proticol, meaning that each user gets the full bandwidth they pay for, cable is a system whereby the local loop gets a set amount of bandwidth, and as more users use it, every user slows down.

Not to mention that cable involves installing a completely seperate network infrastructure (the foxtel one, for telstra cable) whereas ADSL can run just through your normal copper phone lines.

Additionally, ADSL people can 'fast churn' between companies, which means that they can switch ISPs with a 40$ charge, and only be offline for a couple of hours, if that. Cable doesn't have that feature, and it comes in especially handy if another company releases a better plan than the one that you are on, and you want to swap.

Last edited:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
I've got 512/128 kbs ADSL with Internode and I luv it. It's a bit expensive, $59.95, but worth the service I get. It has a dl limit of 16 GB, which is more than enough for me; The most I have mangaed to dl has been 13 GB. After the dl limit is exceeded they reduce your speed to 56kbs.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
LoneShadow said:
I've got 512/128 kbs ADSL with Internode and I luv it. It's a bit expensive, $59.95, but worth the service I get. It has a dl limit of 16 GB, which is more than enough for me; The most I have mangaed to dl has been 13 GB. After the dl limit is exceeded they reduce your speed to 56kbs.
ok so what would be the difference say between this and the telstra plan for cable which is cheaper, has unlimited downloads but capped at 10 gig?

what is cable downstream using a bit torrent client like bit comet, if your adsl is 512?

Nguyen

Telstra caps you after 10GB of downloading back to dial up speeds but Helstra Cable is unlimited in speed meaning it will download as fast as the server can send at.

It will always download as fast as the other person sending it to you on the other side when using bit torrents, speeds will fluctuate from 1k/s to well over 100k/s.

512 = 64kilobytes per second meaning if using bit torrents he'll get stuck at 64k/s even if it's possible to recieve at a higher speed, ADSL 512 plans will be capped at 64k/s download speeds.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Nguyen said:
Telstra caps you after 10GB of downloading back to dial up speeds but Helstra Cable is unlimited in speed meaning it will download as fast as the server can send at.

It will always download as fast as the other person sending it to you on the other side when using bit torrents, speeds will fluctuate from 1k/s to well over 100k/s.

512 = 64kilobytes per second meaning if using bit torrents he'll get stuck at 64k/s even if it's possible to recieve at a higher speed, ADSL 512 plans will be capped at 64k/s download speeds.
my firend dls over 100 GB for Telstra and they dont capped the speed :S

Nguyen

Because Telstra says in fine print, it may chooses to cap you or not, up to their discretion.

BUt it seems a hard cap is going to be introduced or is introduced from what I read on whirlpool

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Nguyen said:

omg what is with these terms, i always thought that 512 was the actual speed limit in kilobytes, meaning that the speed was like 512 max,

why does it have to be divided by 12 or whatever it is, why cant they just leave it at 512?

So right now i'm guesssing that i should go for the telstra cable deal for around 60 dollars.

i also heard that adsl needs to be like boosted, because the messages disperse?!?? Whats the difference between a cable line, is it copper as well?

edit: i just found this

BigPond hits up heavy users
BigPond will start implementing automatic speed reductions after users exceed 10GB from as early as tomorrow according to sources at Teletech.

Last edited:

Nguyen

Marketing ploy to make the speeds look bigger than they really are. Anyway divide by 8 for those numbers in Kilobits to become KiloBytes.

fatmuscle

HSC
wow, i only found out the new optus deals!

Due to the popularity of the summer bonus data offer of unlimited off peak downloads between 2am and 8am, we've extended this offer until 31st March 2005. So, you can continue to enjoy downloads during these off-peak times and they won't count towards your usual monthly data allowance!

What's more, from 1st April 2005 until 31st March 2006, you'll receive bonus 'yes' data of double your standard download allowance between the extended off peak hours of 2am and 9am. That means you'll have an extra 24GB of high speed data to use every month!

And the best part of this offer is that it won't cost you anything and you don't have to do a thing; it will automatically be applied to your account as a reward for being a valued Unlimited plan OptusNet Broadband customer.

If you'd like some more information on this great reward click here or you can view the terms and conditions.

We hope that you enjoy your bonus 'yes' data.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
dark_angel said:
omg what is with these terms, i always thought that 512 was the actual speed limit in kilobytes, meaning that the speed was like 512 max,

why does it have to be divided by 12 or whatever it is, why cant they just leave it at 512?

So right now i'm guesssing that i should go for the telstra cable deal for around 60 dollars.

i also heard that adsl needs to be like boosted, because the messages disperse?!?? Whats the difference between a cable line, is it copper as well?

edit: i just found this

BigPond hits up heavy users
BigPond will start implementing automatic speed reductions after users exceed 10GB from as early as tomorrow according to sources at Teletech.
cable lines are coaxial, like your tv line. massive bandwidth.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
LoneShadow said:
I pay $50 for that same plan at 24gb per month with unmetered downloads from midnight-8am

Go Exetel:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)