what is the best public school out there? (1 Viewer)

best public school...?

• James Ruse Agricultural High School

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • North Sydney Boys/Girls High School

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Baulkham Hills High School

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Killara High School

• Cheltenham Girls High School

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Sydney Boys/Girls High School

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • Hurlstone Agricultural High School

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Northern Beaches Secondary College (any campus)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Fort Street High School

• Caringbah High School

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by melbournian
Frigid, you are wrong about Sydney High been the oldest public school in Australia. That title goes to my school, Melbourne High.

The National Model and Training School was opened on September 18th 1854 , which is the original origins of my school Melbourne High. However, real High School education didn't really start until 1905, so you can still claim the title.

that is bull, my skool Fort street was establish in 1849, which by my calculations is older than ur skool, and was established as the Model skool for which other skools would base their education around. Ie, the first selective skool, and the OLDEST public skool. the oldest skool title incidently goes to the Kings school, which I think was established in 1843 or something like that.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
this pole shoudl b reworded to *best selective skool!*.....so biased..and i reckon there should b a poll calleed *best comprehensive skool *..lol
Mate, that is so true!! Just because it's a selective school doesn't mean shit. It's just a school were smart kids go. Nothing changes. The GREAT schools are ones that take shitty, drop kick kids and make something out of them. Now they're TOP schools. So selective schools have good marks. Yeah, no shit. thats what they're there for. A school isn't 'good'. It's the type of people who go there, and the quality of teaching that make it a good school.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pri
that is bull, my skool Fort street was establish in 1849, which by my calculations is older than ur skool, and was established as the Model skool for which other skools would base their education around. Ie, the first selective skool, and the OLDEST public skool. the oldest skool title incidently goes to the Kings school, which I think was established in 1843 or something like that.
The oldest public school and also the first in Australia is Sydney Grammar School even though it's private but back then the definition of public school was a boarding or private school so that makes it the first.

By the way this info is found in todays Daily Telegraph after the business section.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
its a bit unfair 2 put the selective and normal public skools 2getha in 1 poll, makes it hard 2 choose

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
the only difference is the people who go there. we have the same standard in teachers and the same crappy facilities as public schools.

die_imortales

thought i might help out this debate.....
in england private schools are called public schools and public schools are called government schools...
that is why the gps is called Greater Public Schools...
going by that system of classification grammar is the oldest public school...
Fort street started in 1849 but not as a public/government school but rather as a church school similar to an equivalent of todays private schools... many other schools are similar in that they have since gone public
in 1883 the headmaster of newington moved to start a new school for secondary education that was free-for-all... it was called sydney high and due to its postition as the only free (government) school the process of selection was very stringent and academic testing was introduced...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)