What is the best way to study for English? (1 Viewer)

ellen.louise

HSC
To extend your vocabulary, look up stuff in a thesaurus to find creative new ways of using the search engine. You'll be amazed how many threads like this have already been posted.

Seriously though, the best way is to summarise all your texts then do practice essays in all the different formats you might get asked for (feature article, speech, etc.) If this seems hard, do a straight essay first then adapt the content to suit a different type.

For vocab, learn your essay terminology really well. Understand the difference between portray, convey, illustrate, etc. (cause they all have different connotations)

Use the microsoft word thesaurus: right click on a word and look up synonyms. Make sure you get the right synonym for the context

Never ever ever use 'good' 'bad' 'things' etc. These words are the lowest of low in the english language. They are too general. Use other words such as 'appropriate,' 'effective,' etc. This will make your language more sophisticated.

Saintlexical

HSC
N/A
The level of "sophistication" in the language that you use isn't really that big a deal. The more important thing to be aware of is how you can best communicate your ideas and give evidence to answer the questions.

You can still get band 5 very easily with simple language so long as you demonstrate your understanding of the texts and can make insightful and considered responses. Showing that you can think critically is more important than the words you use.

I just want to point this out so that no one is disheartened by the thought of having to memorise two jillion synonyms. Of course, having a larger vocabulary and being able to substitute words to create elegant sentences makes your work more enjoyable to read as well as write but don't be freaked out by a lack of sophisticated language.

johnnyJIM

HSC
yea look at past papers and do the essays

and then when youve done them all do your own essay using all the questions and keep writign it over and over again so you remember it in the exam

so this for your journeys part including the creative writing task and each module
so you will have 5 pre made essays that you know off by heart and just write it all quickly in the 40-45 minutes

loz703

HSC
I'm making a really brief outine mindmap on A3 cardboard to put up on my wall in my study - should help if you are a visual learner and like using colors. (That's what I plan to do anyway)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)