What is the correct spice ratio of an essay? (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
In order to get the full 20 marks for an essay, an essay needs to be interesting to the marker and demonstrate sophistication. Usually this will involve differentiating your response from the other students in order to set yourself apart (what I call 'spice' or 'flare'). But my question to those more experienced than me at modern: how much 'flare' should you put in an essay that it is still academic but also interesting and sophisticated? In elective history and history mandatory, I often struggled to find this balance, resulting in either bland or informal essays. How can I make my essays 'spicy'?

Anaya R

HSC
I mean different markers will have different standards for what would be acceptable for 20/20 for each section. For me, it should have enough argument that it's not storytelling (duh), be structured so that it is clear there is deeper thought behind the essay, have evidence of historiography/historical quotes and a overall well-balanced essay.
In regards to the 'spice' of an essay, it should be enough that I think the way you present is really clear and passionate, but not so much that it becomes too 'in your face'. Think of it like salt - enough to give pizazz to your writing, but not so much that it dehydrates you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)