What is the Difference Between Medicine in UNSW and UWS? (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
From my research, both UNSW and UWS provide a course for a Bachelor of Medicine Undergraduate.
However, the ATAR for UNSW is approximately 97, and UWS is approximately 95 (I think)

Whats the difference between them?
I just don't understand, because an atar of 97+ is pretty hard, whereas, I think I would be able to get 95 (not being conceited, just realistic)

I don't know the difference, and hoping some of you would be able to tell me!

THANKYOU ^_^

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
The difference is the ATAR is a cut-off for UWS but a threshold for UNSW. Once you get an ATAR of 95 (or w/e it is this year) then it is 'discounted', and potential students are selected for an interview based only on their weighted UMAT scores. In contrast, selection for an interview for UNSW is based on both your ATAR and UMAT (maybe even that form you fill out? don't remember). Hence the ATAR is still taken into account and you will need a good ATAR and UMAT for an interview (from my year, 2010, the ATAR of people getting interviews were higher than 97. Most were around 98-99).

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
the difference is that you get a degree from a Go8 uni if you go to UNSW and you dont if you go to UWS. other than that, no difference.

js992

HSC
As stated above, once you cross the ATAR threshold (95?) in UWS, it is no longer taken into account and you will be admitted based on umat (33%) and interview (66%). UNSW takes a 33% of each weighting component, so although their ATAR cutoff is 96, you'd have to perform amazingly in the umat and interview to compensate. Realistically, successful applicants have an ATAR >98.

As for course differences, both are accredited and will be similarly recognised. The only main difference is the extra year in the UNSW where you undertake a research project.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Pretty sure medicine in UNSW is above 97?
It's a sliding scale with ATAR. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no people in UNSW med with ATARS of less than 98.5.

Siddy123

HSC
the whole 93.55 and 95 thingo is just a guideline, but realisticly its bullcrap.
ur competing against the top students of the state.
most people in uws attained a 99+ ATAR, and a 90+ umat percentile. It is very unlikely that someone with say a 95 recieved accpetance, However i did hear of a student last year that got in with a relatively low ATAR, but this means they must of killed the UMAT AND interview.

In reference to the original question.

UWS- New school, new facilities, multicultural, heavily serviced by transport, close to shopping centres, 5 year program.

UNSW- multicultural, serviced by transport, close to shopping centres, 6 year program.

Realistically speaking, Medicine anywhere is an applaudable achievement and universities such as UWS,JCU should not be looked at as inferior.

qev

HSC
N/A
the whole 93.55 and 95 thingo is just a guideline, but realisticly its bullcrap.
ur competing against the top students of the state.
most people in uws attained a 99+ ATAR, and a 90+ umat percentile. It is very unlikely that someone with say a 95 recieved accpetance, However i did hear of a student last year that got in with a relatively low ATAR, but this means they must of killed the UMAT AND interview.

In reference to the original question.

UWS- New school, new facilities, multicultural, heavily serviced by transport, close to shopping centres, 5 year program.

UNSW- multicultural, serviced by transport, close to shopping centres, 6 year program.

Realistically speaking, Medicine anywhere is an applaudable achievement and universities such as UWS,JCU should not be looked at as inferior.
Stop spouting misinformation. The UWS minimum atar requirement is only a threshold.

Siddy123

HSC
Stop spouting misinformation. The UWS minimum atar requirement is only a threshold.
yeah true, but how many students from any given cohort got around 95.55, one? maybe two?
the majority of students got 98+
but yes, it is just a threshold.

Dylanamali

HSC
yeah true, but how many students from any given cohort got around 95.55, one? maybe two?
perhaps.. there is just a general correlation between high ATAR and high UMAT.
I do know a person who received 93.55 and gained entry into MBBS this year at UWS.

qev

HSC
N/A
Well that has nothing to do with what I said. And don't pull random figures out of your ass, especially when they don't contribute anything to the discussion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)