What is the future of Pharmacy? (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, there's not a lot of jobs, in general, at the moment.

Engineering does NOT have lots of jobs, at the moment. Even health sciences does not have a lot of jobs, again, at the moment. Obviously, pharmacy hasn't had jobs since the dawn of time.

If you really love something and can excel in it, you should still do it. The number of jobs available will fluctuate and having little prospects doesn't mean no prospects in future.
I agree :)

RishBonjour

HSC
Not too sure about that, my friend wants to transfer from it at UNSW, he finds it extremely boring.
Economics units are some of the most interesting units out of comm/eco/buss units. Its just heaps of people who don't get into commerce do economics just because its ATAR is lower, but its a much more challenging course. Also, with economics, honours/masters etc is like minimum for good jobs from what I hear. Or just do a fucking PhD.

alekovic

HSC
So are you trying to say that pharmacy isn't saturated? Fine there are job prospects - go work in a pharmacy for fast food level wages after you graduate from university. The fact is pharmaceutical companies don't need that many graduates that universities are supplying.

Not being racist , Asian myself. This is what I heard from someone who did pharmacy. Find someone that thinks pharmacy isn't saturated then come back and tell me.
I will detail two individuals who I know recently (last five or so years) graduated from university with degrees in pharmaceutical science and accounting respectively:

Person 1: Graduated 2009 from USyd. She applied around Sydney and eventually found appropriate work in the Northern Territory and has been their since. Certainly on a salary significantly more than "fast food level wages", though I do think you have a strange sense of reality if you think pharmacy graduates will immediately attract huge salaries, due to the nature of the field. Median pharmacy salary for graduates is around $35,000

Person 2: Graduated 2007 from UTS with an accounting degree. Luckily he found work at a local accounting firm for a couple of years, completed some further accounting accreditation, then went to the UK to work.

Also on a side note, "Not being racist , Asian myself."- anyone can discriminate against any race, regardless of their own ethnicity. The fact that you may or may not be Asian does not mean that you are ""Not being racist".

Safraaz I suggest you choose the one that you're interested more, and the one that you can see yourself doing every day, rather than perceived "job prospects"...

Last edited:

Okashi

HSC
I will detail two individuals who I know recently (last five or so years) graduated from university with degrees in pharmaceutical science and accounting respectively:

Person 1: Graduated 2009 from USyd. She applied around Sydney and eventually found appropriate work in the Northern Territory and has been their since. Certainly on a salary significantly more than "fast food level wages", though I do think you have a strange sense of reality if you think pharmacy graduates will immediately attract huge salaries, due to the nature of the field. Median pharmacy salary for graduates is around $35,000

Person 2: Graduated 2007 from UTS with an accounting degree. Luckily he found work at a local accounting firm for a couple of years, completed some further accounting accreditation, then went to the UK to work.

Safraaz I suggest you choose the one that you're interested more, and the one that you can see yourself doing every day, rather than perceived "job prospects"...
Thanks for the insight into the past five years but what we are dealing with is now. I didn't say pharmacy grads should attract huge salaries but if median salary of pharmacy grads is 35k and first year IT grad is 60k plus - you know which one to choose. Job prospects of pharmacy isn't perceived just ask recent grads if they can find decent jobs in Sydney. Not sure if OP wants to go NT. I wasnt intentionally trying to be a racist but just saying from personal experience about Asians and pharmacy.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, you might as well work at maccas if you do pharm.

dizzlemizzle

HSC
u okay in the head mate?

economics has the best job prospects and opportunities as long as you get the honors.
should of included the honours bit in original post, seeing as you have to get high marks to actually get into honours.. and economics is flooded lol...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)