What is the most godawfully bad book you have ever read? (1 Viewer)

tigerian

HSC
N/A
transcendent said:
i'd have to say the Holy Bible, the whole book is hypocritical and pretentious and a lame attempt at trying to be objective about history when alot of the events are pure fantasy.
Interesting comment. Your opinion is ok from what it says but when I was studying history at Uni it was a text reference because of its historical evidence. You can trust it as a Historical document. if you choose not to believe its religious teachings thats fine but dont question its historic accuracy. I recently was teaching my Year 7s about Egyptian slavery and the text book and the bible(Exodus in particular) were very similar historically.

ian

nwatts

HSC
transcendent said:
i'd have to say the Holy Bible, the whole book is hypocritical and pretentious and a lame attempt at trying to be objective about history when alot of the events are pure fantasy.
It's not supposed to be a historical text.

ZOMGOSH DR SUESS SUCKS BECAUSE HAM ISN'T FUCKING GREEN. :rolleyes:

walrusbear

HSC
transcendent said:
the bible doesn't attempt to be objective about history

only an ardent fundamentalist would market it that way

walrusbear

HSC
blyss said:
oh wow..well that just put me in my place..
na seriously though its not completely horrible but i can rarely enjoy books done at school because when u pick it apart and analyse every little detail of it it makes it harder to just enjoy it as a piece of writing..well thats my opinion anyway
try re-reading it another time

"It is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence — that which makes its truth, its meaning — its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream — alone. . . . "

no book with writing like this ( ^ prob the most quotable part :p is remotely godawful

blyss

HSC
walrusbear said:
We live, as we dream — alone. . . . "

no book with writing like this ( ^ prob the most quotable part :p is remotely godawful
ok so u may have a point with that bit lol..

Gangels

HSC
transcendent said:
I think you missed the point if the bible. Yes the stories are fiction, but they are designed to teach man about everything, morals, humans, animals, human decency, the fact that evolution is impossible................bahahahahahah!

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Isn't the point of the bible to be metaphorical? No sane person will takes the bible literally, and the best way to go about it is to cherry pick out the sane bits regarding how to be morally and ethically 'good'.

Also, the Dune books after God-Emperor of Dune have convinced me that Frank Herbert was both batshit insane and really really horny.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
by the way ian...did you use to teach a school called christian community high school?

HSC
I think this thread is in dranger of being hijacked by Religion. :)

The worst book I've ever read....hmm, I think that would be frankenstein:sleep: ...it was boring as all hell. I know it was supposed to be really interesting and have deep and meaningful issues about humanity but instead it was crap. Reading the original has disallusioned me about 'classic literature'- I fail to see why something this boring is inflicted on anyone.

BTW I studied Dracula for extension english, not Frankenstein.

J

jhakka

ElendilPeredhil said:
I think this thread is in dranger of being hijacked by Religion. :)
This is true. I can understand that people may not believe in religion, but this is a discussion for another forum. Please stay on topic.

X

xeuyrawp

jhakka said:
This is true. I can understand that people may not believe in religion, but this is a discussion for another forum. Please stay on topic.
I have to point out that I also hate anything by Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, and Matthew Reilly.

People go on about how it's good that books are more accesible to people who may not be experienced readers, but I think that those books just turn your brain into some sort of sludge that will dribble out of your nose at any given moment.

However, the worst book I've read cover-to-cover must be The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, simply because it's impossible to understand what he's saying. Classic my ass.

cocopuk

HSC
First of all there's nothing wrong with Dan Brown's books or Mathew Reilly, they're just part of another little group of authors who aren't successful with the experienced readers. i think their books area perfect read for avearge high school students, and some of them arent even bad at all ...
Anyway the worst godawfully bad book i've ever read?? GREAT EXPECTATIONS BY CHARLES DICKENS!! --- its a school thing however! i could've easily just read the reviews only ... but because of my strong will to atleast catchup with the average students in the year i forced myself to read it >.> it was a bad choice ... no matter how good charles dickens was poo to him, its the 21st century and i cant even read a whole page without checking out www.dictionary.com atleast 10 times ...

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I have to point out that I also hate anything by Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, and Matthew Reilly.
However, the worst book I've read cover-to-cover must be The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, simply because it's impossible to understand what he's saying. Classic my ass.
I agree about The Da Vinci code anyway- and just to stay away from religion, let me say that I think the basic plot sounds like it might be interesting a fiction book, but I just hate Dan Brown’s manner of writing- it reads like he copies and pastes his information from a textbook. I like Angels and Demons better although it suffers from the same problems, not to such an extent.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
azn_gangsta81 said:
by the way ian...did you use to teach a school called christian community high school?
Yes, that's me. Can send me a private email and tell me who you are.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I love The Da Vinci Code purely for the reason that it marginalises both Christians and Literatiis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)