What is the point of a textbook deposit? (1 Viewer)

briannanugget

HSC
Just finished my HSC and am in the process of returning textbooks so that I can get a refund on the textbook deposit ($140). I understand that this deposit serves as monetary collateral, but couldn't your HSC be used as the collateral without paying the deposit? What are the problems with giving out textbooks to students for free?
- In the case of a textbook being lost, the school would charge the student the cost for the textbook + an extra fee.
- If they don't pay this fee, then the student would be ineligible to receive their HSC.
I feel like taking lending deposits from students and then needing to refund them back to students is a hassle for the school. Is there a reason why they do it? Are there some issues with lending textbooks to students for free?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
yeah my school has this thing as well, i think it's so that the student or their parents don't try to hassle their way out of paying the fee by doing a bunch of loopholes and stuff? i think it's much less of a hassle for the deposit to be made beforehand

and being ineligible for the hsc just for losing your textbook and not paying the fee seems like overkill

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
My school makes us pay for our own textbooks, I’ve spent like $500 on textbooks for senior years :(
that sounds really annoying - what do you do with textbooks you don't use anymore (like y11 ones)? you should re-sell them or something if you haven't already

briannanugget

HSC
yeah my school has this thing as well, i think it's so that the student or their parents don't try to hassle their way out of paying the fee by doing a bunch of loopholes and stuff? i think it's much less of a hassle for the deposit to be made beforehand

and being ineligible for the hsc just for losing your textbook and not paying the fee seems like overkill
Hmmmm yea reasonable enough

briannanugget

HSC
My school makes us pay for our own textbooks, I’ve spent like $500 on textbooks for senior years :(
Oh wow, that's rough... Out of curiosity, do you go to a private school? I couldn't imagine a gov school making you pay that much

Anaya R

HSC
Out of curiosity are these physical or digital? Or access to both?
And at the end of year 12 (if digital) how do you surrender access to it?
Genuinely curious as someone who paid and used hardcopy textbooks for my subjects (I went to a smallish private school)

briannanugget

HSC
Out of curiosity are these physical or digital? Or access to both?
And at the end of year 12 (if digital) how do you surrender access to it?
Genuinely curious as someone who paid and used hardcopy textbooks for my subjects (I went to a smallish private school)
These are physical textbooks (but tbh I used the digital counterpart (which I found online) more often since it was more convenient.
In regard to schools lending digital textbooks, I think some schools have libraries that offer e-lending via a "one copy, one user" licence and lend e-textbooks to students until they graduate. The cost for students to access these e-books would probably be non-refundable but cheaper than buying digital copies.

Vall

HSC
Just finished my HSC and am in the process of returning textbooks so that I can get a refund on the textbook deposit ($140). I understand that this deposit serves as monetary collateral, but couldn't your HSC be used as the collateral without paying the deposit? What are the problems with giving out textbooks to students for free?
- In the case of a textbook being lost, the school would charge the student the cost for the textbook + an extra fee.
- If they don't pay this fee, then the student would be ineligible to receive their HSC.
I feel like taking lending deposits from students and then needing to refund them back to students is a hassle for the school. Is there a reason why they do it? Are there some issues with lending textbooks to students for free?
Oh lol our school literally does what you have suggested. We had a "sign out day" after the last HSC exam to go give all our textbooks back.

briannanugget

HSC
Oh lol our school literally does what you have suggested. We had a "sign out day" after the last HSC exam to go give all our textbooks back.
Oh wow! Has there been cases where students did not return there textbooks?

dsakvyilsa

HSC
We don't need to pay a textbook deposit or anything like that!!! However if we don't return our textbooks we don't get to go to our formal (allegedly, the school probably won't follow through with it bahaha)

fx82au

HSC
We don't need to pay a textbook deposit or anything like that!!! However if we don't return our textbooks we don't get to go to our formal (allegedly, the school probably won't follow through with it bahaha)
Same with my school. Last week I saw some year 12 graduating kids (class of 2022) arguing with the principal cause she woudnt let them go to the formal. But, I think my school is pretty generous with books, with my math teacher giving me a new textbook to keep like every week (its only cause im the first kid in 15 years to do mx2 at the school). And if you request a textbook from the library, they buy it for you, anf let you keep it for the entire year.

Saying that, its cause my school has a very large population of refugees and immigrants (>70%), so the school gets a lot of funding from that, with which they put a bit of towards the students.

idkkdi

HSC
Same with my school. Last week I saw some year 12 graduating kids (class of 2022) arguing with the principal cause she woudnt let them go to the formal. But, I think my school is pretty generous with books, with my math teacher giving me a new textbook to keep like every week (its only cause im the first kid in 15 years to do mx2 at the school). And if you request a textbook from the library, they buy it for you, anf let you keep it for the entire year.

Saying that, its cause my school has a very large population of refugees and immigrants (>70%), so the school gets a lot of funding from that, with which they put a bit of towards the students.
they should get u a fx100au haha

dsakvyilsa

HSC

yeah my school is similar in some of those ways too! they can buy textbooks for us and whatnot

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
It can’t do complex numbers though :)
yes the only downfall. i was looking at that new casio thats coming out next year that tywebb was posting about that can do vectors and complex stuff and i might buy that and bring both calculators with me (the fx82au as a good luck charm of course)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)