What is the worse combination of texts for eng adv? (1 Viewer)

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
What is the worst combination of texts for eng adv?

is it just me or are my texts one of the worst possible combinations:

AOS: My Place
Mod A: Emma & Clueless
Mod B: King Lear
Mod C: Ted Hughes

mind you, the texts themselves are all that bad, except that i believe that the work load for king lear and ted hughes when compared to other texts in the same module is unjustified (eg. in comparison to sylvia plath poetry module b and caesar module c)

any opinions (PLS DON'T FLAME ME, I BLAME THE STRESS) :D

(BTW i missed this in the original post - ted hughes we basically need to cover half of the plath stuff and apparently for a good mark in last year's hsc exam u actually needed to use a plath poem as a related text >.<)

Last edited:

Englishfreak

You think you got it bad we have In the Skin of a Lion, which the author writes out a normal sentance the rubs out the begining and the end. Then we have Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Frountline and Changing Worlds. .:chainsaw:

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
nah ..... changing perspectives
-the justice game
-john donne poetry
-roz&guil, hamlet

the only one i have an issue with is the justice game! it sux!!!.... yes the actual text does stink... and yes my teacher has no idea what she's talking about.... but hey it's all good right- we'll just write an essay on made up stuff ....gggrrrrr!! :mad:
but you guys aren't doing much better i see...haha

pfft
that's nothing
AOS: Skrzynecki poems (MANY OF THEM)
Mod A: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead vs. Hamlet ( i admit, i like this one)
Mod B: Speeches! (MANY MANY MANY Of them!)
Mod C: 1984 (yep, this is okay too)
But the poems and speeches i have to learn..... argh *starts pulling out hair*

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
try this on for size:
AOS : skrzynecki poems...lots of them...most of them we've only spent one lesson on

mod1: Emma/Clueless...i swear these teachers really ARE CLUELESS!! Emma is a bore and CLueless is even more hopeless

mod2: King lear..which would be good if our teacher knew what she was teaching... we have done NOTHING on the readings and i bet that is what will be tested in the HSC...knowing our luck

mod3: Frontline..i love the program dont get me wrong, but are we meant to remember every single part of all the programs we are shown coz i dont remember anything!!

i swear i have 2 pages of notes on frontline....a few points on clueless and only my running knowledge on lear...yay...and only 7 days to go!!! joy oh joy

bex

HSC
AOS: Gwen Harwood BORING
Module A: Brave New World and Blade Runner-
Module B: King Lear- Maybe i would be ok if i understood the stpid play!
Module C: Frontline- The series is great but i hate pulling it to bits and i think my english teacher reads too far into things.. 'the banana that mike finds in marty's desk is a representation of the masculinity and predominantly male zone of the office'. And after all, Frontline is a business..

blah blah

What about this?
Area of Study: Changing Self; Gwen Harwood (ok compared to the rest!)
Module A: In the Wild; The Tempest/The Explorers (does ANYONE else do this? Its soo boring and the comparisons are crap)
Module B: Cloudstreet (arrghh I hate this one so much!)
Module C: Powerplay; Antigone (This is easy, but still boring)

Well, I think thats just about the worst possible combination, I wish we could have had some kind of say in what gets chosen
:chainsaw: to a certain english co-ordinator

Clare

i have a good one, actually its really bad but anyways....for transformations (module b i think) its Chaucers the Pardoners tale and A simple plan.
hows that! the only notes i have are on some history stuff about chaucer that has nothing to do with anything! its panic time for me!!!

Breeze

Agreed! Geoffry Chaucer's A Pardoner's Tale and Sam Rami's A Simple plan, is by far the worst most possible text to study

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Re: What is the worst combination of texts for eng adv?

Originally posted by SpLaTHoWA
is it just me or are my texts one of the worst possible combinations:

AOS: My Place
Mod A: Emma & Clueless
Mod B: King Lear
Mod C: Ted Hughes
Replace Emma/Clueless with BNW/BR and that's my combo.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Im doing

changing self: Harwood
King Lear
Brave New World and Blade Runner
and Frontline

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon the workload for mine is kinda heaps..

AOS: My Place - changing self
ModA: Hamlet/R+G are dead
ModB: John Donne poetry
ModC: 1984 powerplay

callie4eva

My Texts

AOS: Peter Skryznecki
Powerplay: Julius Ceasar
Module: Speeches
Another Module: Brave New World and Bladerunner

Dan_the_man

mine is

AOS- Changing self- Harwood- how boring :( and I've lost my poems so I'm fucked at the moment :eek:
then Transformations- Hamlet/RAGAD
Critical Study- Cloudstreet- The book was OK but all this analysing bullshit has taken it too far
Telling The Truth- Frontline

overall English sucks :chainsaw: :)

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
one thing i forgot to mention - we sorta had like 3 teachers over the whole course... wait make that 4

original teacher
gave us my place and a list of questions, left for a private (catholic school?)
substitute - prolly canadian guy, sat in class reading a book/newspapers "get on with the work!" - wasted like 5 weeks?
3rd teacher - casual teacher who i had in like year 9 half the time he was alright, took us for emma and clueless
4th teacher - permanent, took us for lear (which i slept thru, literally) and ted hughes (alright i guess, other than the fact we have to read a ton of shit on plath and newspaper articles, book excerpts etc)

so, everyone's had it bad, but who's had more teacher changes?

kate@bangas

tempest/explorers

for those who are questioning Tempest/Explorers, our teacher told our class there are only two or three schools in the state doing it....she goes "yeah...it is difficult, but i thought you'd like the challenge!!!". Yep, not even challnged already!!!
you're not alone!!!!!!!!!

tinility

im with sparkling diamond (Hi rachel!!!!) cause our stupid english teache rgrrr (well my old one)

WHO REALLY wants to listen about some stupid person's journal entries of a hostile land? for goodness sake try and BORE us to death ... the tempest wasnt bad but the explorers was just STUPID

why couldnt we have done clueless :(

and cloudstreet oh my god the onyl part i liked was the story of rose and tobey raven ... and thats not even SIGNIFICANT!!!!!!

hmm can u tell i HATE english .. no wait i LOATHE it

Lauren :D

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
Nobody has the combo i have...which is good for everyone else, cos mine REALLY suck:

AOS: Changing self - Gwen Harwood (boring and way too many of them)
Mod A: Emma/Clueless (Emma is way too long and boring to get through)
Mod B: Speeches (Way too many of them and most of them are really boring)
Mod C: Julius Caesar (Yeah, I don't mind this one, I just hate finding extra texts)

angel_kate

yeah, i have talked to so many people and my school is pretty much the only one doing the tempest :(
I do:
AOS: Gwen Harwood
Mod A: The tempest/ the Explorers
Mod B: Citizen Kane
Mod C: 1984

I can tell you that if i had the chance to meet shakespeare at this very moment, i'd strangle him!

kate

Gwen Harwood
Julius Caesar
Wild Swans
Emma/Clueless

hmm i love them all:chainsaw:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)