What is this ..."ARC"... you speak of??? (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
..actually i do know wat arc is (i wonder wat it stands for.. ) but i was thinking, seeing as im a first yr student at unsw, whether i should join it or not. Now im guessing everyone is gonna say yes, and im sure its good, but is there a list of ALL of the benefits u get from joining ARC? I couldnt find it on the ARC site, so im thinkin maybe i missed, or maybe the benefits are too huge, or maybe someone out there has a huge alien sized brain that has memorised it all... either way could someone tell me, or link me to, a list of all of the benefits associated with joining ARC?

thanx in advance ppl! :D

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
BIGTYMA said:
its not useful at all. It actually has nothing to do with anything.
it doesnt??? i thought it was one of those clubs ppl can join at unsw...

EDIT: i still would like to know all benefits that ppl can think of.

Last edited:

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
Hi Omie Jay,

As Frigid pointed out, the Arc website is at http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au. The Arc (it's not an acronym :) ) is the student organisation on campus. They provide students with things like access to clubs and societies, volunteer programs, discounts on parties and much, much more. For a rundown of what you get from membership, check out this page:

http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/ArcMembership/WhatoGet.aspx#

If you want more information, the best way to find out about the Arc is the rock up to O-Week and ask one of the Arc ambassadors, who will be able to run you through all the details. Arc ambassadors can be found at the various Arc membership stalls which will be around the campus. If you're having trouble finding one, just as a Yellowshirt (the O-Week volunteers) and they'll be able to point you in the right direction..

Hope this helps, see you at O-Week!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
UNSW OWeek said:
Hi Omie Jay,

As Frigid pointed out, the Arc website is at http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au. The Arc (it's not an acronym :) ) is the student organisation on campus. They provide students with things like access to clubs and societies, volunteer programs, discounts on parties and much, much more. For a rundown of what you get from membership, check out this page:

http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/ArcMembership/WhatoGet.aspx#

If you want more information, the best way to find out about the Arc is the rock up to O-Week and ask one of the Arc ambassadors, who will be able to run you through all the details. Arc ambassadors can be found at the various Arc membership stalls which will be around the campus. If you're having trouble finding one, just as a Yellowshirt (the O-Week volunteers) and they'll be able to point you in the right direction..

Hope this helps, see you at O-Week!
You seem to know wats goin on! But does it give u discounts to food purchases from the quad foodcourt or other eating places in the uni?

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
The food outlets on campus (including the quad food court) are privately run, and as such they won't have student discounts (although they are generally quite good value anyway :) ).

Arc run stores, such as the Arc conveniance stores, will have regular "Green Splat Specials", which will give Arc members up to 40% off the recommended retail price of everything (excluding bus tickets and cigarettes). Furthermore, with your Arc membership pack you will recieve two $25 vouchers (one for each session) which can be used at any of the Arc stores on campus. These are great for picking up things like stationary, etc at the start of session (or maybe just a massive binge on lollies and snacks :) ).

HSC
UNSW OWeek said:
The food outlets on campus (including the quad food court) are privately run, and as such they won't have student discounts (although they are generally quite good value anyway :) ).
for those of us who are not made of money, i beg to differ.

the only food on campus i consider good value are the $3 chicken and salad rolls up in the matthews pavilion, but everything else - especially the quad food court and clem's - is way overpriced for what it is

however there are some really good places outside unsw where you get a lot more for your money, like the noodle bar on anzac parade...

Thought Shark

HSC
politik said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love you.

Coincidentally, your quip relates to an article I wrote for Tharunka this month, which you'll see in print in March - but you can see now:
Wow, that was shit.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
almost done now said:

the only food on campus i consider good value are the $3 chicken and salad rolls up in the matthews pavilion, but everything else - especially the quad food court and clem's - is way overpriced for what it is

however there are some really good places outside unsw where you get a lot more for your money, like the noodle bar on anzac parade...
Yeh..im not made of money either... maybe i'll check out that noodle bar sometime!

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Just go to UNSW during O-week and find the ARC stall, you should be able to register for membership then. All details are on the website, such as membership costs etc.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
If you're not made of money stop bitching about take out food prices and make your own shit. No take out food is really that cheap unless you find a dodgy outlet, and even then you're still spending more than you could.

HSC
almost done now said:
I'm with this guy.

It's disgusting that feeding students in a public university should be made a business off. This goddamn capitalism...

uhawww said:
If you're not made of money stop bitching about take out food prices and make your own shit. No take out food is really that cheap unless you find a dodgy outlet, and even then you're still spending more than you could.
Nobody is bitching about needing to buy it, we DO make our own.

We are bitching about the fact that these food stalls get promoted as a viable option for food, when it is not for most students, whom are not made of ****ing money.

And no, cheap takeaway isn't dodgy. Not wanting to rip of the crap of your customers has nothing to do with being dodgy. In fact it's the other way around.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
I'm with this guy.

It's disgusting that feeding students in a public university should be made a business off. This goddamn capitalism...

We are bitching about the fact that these food stalls get promoted as a viable option for food, when it is not for most students, whom are not made of ****ing money.

And no, cheap takeaway isn't dodgy. Not wanting to rip of the crap of your customers has nothing to do with being dodgy. In fact it's the other way around.
Um actually, a lot of stuff on campus is slightly cheaper than a lot of stuff off campus.

Wait wait... public university? I'm just not going to even bother. You're a fucking idiot, go back /b/ and argue with me once you've actually studied at the uni/been around the area for more than a week.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
I'm with this guy.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Thought Shark

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
I'm with this guy.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

HSC
uhawww said:
Um actually, a lot of stuff on campus is slightly cheaper than a lot of stuff off campus.
Off campus where? Why compare campus food in price to the most expensive you can find in Sydney, as opposed to the cheapest you can find in Sydney?

uhawww said:
Wait wait... public university? I'm just not going to even bother.
Lol...wut?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNSW

Type: Public
:confused: :confused: :confused:

You're a fucking idiot, go back /b/ and argue with me once you've actually studied at the uni/been around the area for more than a week.
I see what you did thar with your ignorant generalisations.

Last edited:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Dear god. You... don't know anything, do you?

By public university it does NOT mean the same as a public school. It IS a business.

By off campus I mean in the general vicinity of the area. Why the fuck would I compare it's prices to the rest of Sydney. The reason some of the more popular places on campus are slightly inflated is because they can be, it IS a business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)