What is Uni life like in Canberra? (1 Viewer)

bouncybutt3

HSC
Hi all, so im currently in yr 12 living in Sydney and am seriously considering my options. After listing my preferences on paper i still have a few spare spots for lower preference and am looking at Australian National Uni, there are various courses that catch my eye.
The problem is im not sure what it is like living in Canberra (ive been once with school in primary) From what i remember it seemed like a small quiet town.
Of course Uni needs its fair share of social life and study. I am the party/adventurous time of person, i am obviously aware that the night life is nothing compared to Sydney, however some decent social life should be able to occupy me for those 3 or 4 years.
Also compared to a place like Townsville which is better?
I would really appreciate peoples opinions and thoughts.

CTon

HSC
Whilst Canberra is smaller than the 5 mainland capital cities, the stereotype that Canberra is just a small town is out-dated and has been since the 90s. It's a city of about 400,000 people (projections suggest it'll grow to between 600,000 and 900,000 in 2060), so apart from the 5 mainland capital cities and the Gold Coast, it is actually the biggest city in Australia. Newcastle is the next largest, but 100,000 behind Canberra.

So there are things to do, plus the snow is only 2hrs away in winter - Don't really get that in any other major city in Australia. Canberra has a few clubs and a small night scene in Civic, if that's your thing, but obviously nothing compared to the bigger cities. Townsville would actually be pretty much half the size of Canberra - so it's not really a direct comparison, like at all - I mean Canberra would trump it easily.

MBMD

HSC
It would be similar to the American college experience, most ppl live in uni accom/colleges and in general social events would be at house parties instead of clubs and bars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)