• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is uni like? (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
how big are the rooms, how many people, what are lectures and what do people do? just sit there and take notes?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
the lecture rooms depends on how many people doing the subject....if theres 300+ expect a pretty big lecture theatre
first few weeks of uni can be pretty packed....ie if the theatre sits 300 and 320 do the course, then expect to get a seat early or else youll have to sit on the floor
well students that turn up to lectures usually take down notes from powerpoints/overheads, so thats the main objective of it

Danger

HSC
wow thats huge. so ppl go to uni for lectures or does everyone have separate timetables depending on their chosen course?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
usually for a subject, the lectures for that subject is automatically allocated, so you cant pick a time from that, but you can choose a time slot for tutorials/labs to suit you

Without Wings said:
I'm not sure what university/course jemsta does, but mine doesn't ever involve having to sit on the floor during a lecture. The university is smart enough to timetable lectures into appropriate lecture halls where there are enough seats for everyone...OH&S anyone?
that actually did happen with a subject that i was doing...the first week where everyone congregated, the lecture hall was literally packed, so the students that arrived late either couldnt be bothered to sit in the front seats, so they chose to sit at the back on the floor

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
tutorials is held in a room of classroom size (20-30 people) where you go over materials from the previous week's lectures...they usually mark the roll, so you cant really jig it
labs is the same...they mark the roll, but labs are more practical, so you probably get them if youre doing engineering/science courses

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
usually once a week...unless theres a public holiday when your tutes/labs are held

Danger

HSC
sorry one more question, how often are lectures then?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
usually for a subject, depending on the number of credit points, they can vary
so for example, if a subject has 6 credit points, that usually indicates you have 6 contact hours a week for that particular subject, consisting of lectures, labs and/or tutes
usually lectures occupy half of that, so around 3 hrs a week for lectures

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
maybe i shouldve been more specific and said 'science faculty'
anyways i still stand by my 3 hrs of lectures a week for a subject...some subjects indeed dont have labs or tutes at all

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
jemsta said:
tutorials is held in a room of classroom size (20-30 people)
So far, the ones I've attended at university range from about 10 people, to about 20 people at max. I thought I'd mention that they can get a lot more intimate in some subjects.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
haha i dont even have tutorials for chem and med science...only pracs
but this way is better :)
it really depends on the subject at hand...some classes would have more students than the other

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
it is very different to high school...you become more independent and its youre responsible for your own learning
you learn new material through lectures, and you go through the previous week's work through tutorials
for me, it was intimidating at first so i tried to hung around with my high school friends for the first few weeks, before you meet new ones through the same course/subjects

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I personally can't wait for uni.

The fact that there's more people per class in uni appeals to me, especially as in my school i seem to be hated by the shit-arse teachers for no reason, and i'm considerably more noticed due to the small school and thus small number of students per class.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
jemsta said:
it is very different to high school...you become more independent and its youre responsible for your own learning
you learn new material through lectures, and you go through the previous week's work through tutorials
for me, it was intimidating at first so i tried to hung around with my high school friends for the first few weeks, before you meet new ones through the same course/subjects
But in my opinion, uni work is harder then high school work. Many school students cant wait to go to uni, because they think that its all about the fun and friends (it is in a way ;) ) but there lots of hardwork ahead of you :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
MaNiElla said:
But in my opinion, uni work is harder then high school work. Many school students cant wait to go to uni, because they think that its all about the fun and friends (it is in a way ;) ) but there lots of hardwork ahead of you :)
yeah they usually go through material a lot quicker than high school, so if youre lagging behind, chances are youre going to struggle
for first years, a majority i think would think that adjusteing to uni life is harder than the workload intended...well that was for me anyways

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
jemsta said:
yeah they usually go through material a lot quicker than high school, so if youre lagging behind, chances are youre going to struggle
for first years, a majority i think would think that adjusteing to uni life is harder than the workload intended...well that was for me anyways
actually in my 1st year, i found the workload harder then adjusting (I hope im not scaring off those who will start uni :p ) ... But when you reach your second year things become better and funner in a way, and somewhat easier :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
MaNiElla said:
actually in my 1st year, i found the workload harder then adjusting (I hope im not scaring off those who will start uni :p ) ... But when you reach your second year things become better and funner in a way, and somewhat easier :)
haha yeah it does cary from people to people...one might find it hard to adjust, while the other might find the workload harder...it just depends
2nd year should be better because you get the gist of what uni is like and whats expected of you...but then workload shoots up (hearsay)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)